Offline content still unusable

Crestj

Aside from the difficulty of getting content to sync to the app (the need to close and reopen the app to get it to sync a bit more before it stops for no reason) the offline viewing still doesn't function at all.

It works perfectly when you are on a network but when disconnected I get:

1. upon opening the app it asks me to select a server, if I select offline content it says I have nothing sync'd.

2. if I open the app whilst network connected then sleep the tablet I can at least see my offline content but nothing will play.

The app is a great start but my main use is to watch videos on a commute without network connectivity and I am left unable to use the app.

I'm currently manually copying videos and playing with MPC-HC and using my android [hone to open emby and mark as watched! Not ideal.

7illusions

Sorry for this. My focus has mainly been on connectivity and Xbox One lately. I'll start looking into this shortly.

• Like 1

Thanks, I moved from Android to Win10 tablet and really want to use the native Emby app as the Android one was great.

Look forward to updates :)

Just a further bit of info with the sync.

The files seem to sync as GUID's until finished in the folder selected as the sync location, which is expected, but I am also seeing the same large files in c:\user\\<username>\appdata\local\packages\436337Illusions.com.mediabrowser.xxxxxxx\tempstate

IS this correct?

• 1 month later...

Has there been any focus on the offline \ sync issues?

I am still seeing these same problems:

1. Sync folder keeps resetting to default so sync'd files land in 2 different places.

2. App forgets the Home Server it should use. Upon opening it asks me to Select Server. This seems to happen AFTER I have opened the app when not connected to a network then open the app when connected again.

3. On the rare occasion I get the app open offline, I select offline files and it either says there are none or the app closes.

Would love this feature to work as I rarely watch shows online.

• 2 weeks later...
7illusions

@@Crestj a new version, v4.1.145, is rolling out in store now.

Most changes in this version is for improved Offline mode, so please let me know if the problem still occurs.

After a few days testing this offline and online I can easily say the sync and offline content are a million miles ahead of where it was in the last version.

The sync progress is great, the login when offline works perfectly and it is usable now. Many thanks!

1 small issue though, when you leave the app open and sleep your tablet / laptop when connected to a network, the next time you use the app NOT connected it opens but crashes shortly afterwards.

It is the same if you do this NOT connected then resume when connected.

A small issue but something to be aware of.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @@7illusions, have just noticed that there is no resume option when playing offline content (unless I am missing something).

When the sync runs it hands the resume time to the server as I can see it in the server console but when i try and play some offline content from where I left it, on the same PC, it always starts from the beginning.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on the sync functionality.

Offline content and syncing seem much improved and are currently very usable.

There is an issue, however, with the syncing temp files and sync folder locations.

I use a Windows tablet with 32gb C:\. I have an SD card as my D:\ which I have set to my sync location.

I have noticed that the sync's fail due to disk space issues on C:\ in the following folders:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\436337Illusions.com.MediaBrowser_77hd5e1v1hqs4\TempState

and

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\436337Illusions.com.MediaBrowser_77hd5e1v1hqs4\AC\BackgroundTransferApi

2 questions really:

1. Is it possible to have the folder location also the temp sync location for those users that do not have huge C:\'s?

2. Both these locations above seemed to contain old sync files of many GB's which were filling up the drive. Can these be cleared?

Hi @@Crestj

"2. Both these locations above seemed to contain old sync files of many GB's which were filling up the drive. Can these be cleared?"

I have deleted old sync files in the past with no problems. If they don't show up under current sync files where the can be deleted from the app, they should be safe to get rid of.

-vicpa

Edited by Vicpa

Hi @@Crestj

"2. Both these locations above seemed to contain old sync files of many GB's which were filling up the drive. Can these be cleared?"

I have deleted old sync files in the past with no problems. If they don't show up under current sync files where the can be deleted from the app, they should be safe to get rid of.

-vicpa

Thanks, I've cleared them without issue.

I am expecting them to reappear over time and cause more problems. Maybe this is something that the application can take care of?