Android TV Box?

David Martin

David Martin

Hi, I'm looking to buy a new android TV box and I was wondering has anyone got any recommendations as I'm kind of spoilt for choice to be honest... 

I've got an amazon fire tv and a fire tv stick and I'm looking to buy something without all the amazon stuff.

Thanks, David.

Edited by LordMelon

David Martin

Looks great but I'd be buying it mainly for my girlfriend to use so it dosen't have to be as powerful as she'd really only be running Emby and Netflix on it. Also I forgot to mention earlier it'd need good WiFi connectivity.

Other than Fire TV, the Shield is the next device that runs Android.  Nexus Player is a great choice if you can find one.  I use Nexus Player on two screens, Fire TV on one, and Shield on a 4th.  all work perfectly with Emby App (except Live TV has issues, use Kodi for that).

• Like 1

Other than Fire TV, the Shield is the next device that runs Android.  Nexus Player is a great choice if you can find one.  I use Nexus Player on two screens, Fire TV on one, and Shield on a 4th.  all work perfectly with Emby App (except Live TV has issues, use Kodi for that).

Have you raised the Live TV issue in the Emby Android TV forums ??

Not sure they are true Android TV devices.

• Like 1

Yeah, most of those are not true Android TV so beware...

Since Google discontinued the Nexus Player, your only mainstream options are the Fire TV, Shield, or an actual TV with the platform inside it.

• Like 1

Fire TV is Amazon not android TV tho right?

Yes, but Amazon created their OS based off of Android TV so it is functionally the same from the app perspective.

• Like 1

David Martin

They have 5.1 on them so theoretically should work but they aren't official "Android TV" boxes so your mileage may vary...

MSattler

Thanks, I'll buy one and test it out will post an update here.

Having tried a bunch of the cheaper boxers, the overall experience of the ShieldTV is worth it.   It is worth every penny that you pay in ease of use, and quality of components.

justdrooit

I've used Emby on an Android-based T95m and Mini M8S II. It worked great on both players. The Mini M8S II is a little more powerful/newer, but I noticed no determinable difference other than if you get either one, get them with 2GB memory instead of 1GB.

The only negatives I could state about either of them is that neither have particularly strong WiFi connection capabilities (like the Android TV Stick), and the default remote control can be a bit of a pain to get used to, but they're each well worth the price. I think a T95m can be had for around $35-45 and the Mini M8S II is around $45-55.

Edited by justdrooit

Have you raised the Live TV issue in the Emby Android TV forums ??

Not sure they are true Android TV devices.

No, not a priority.

tl;dr

I have not raised the issue as the family and I hardly ever watch live TV.  the rare cases I do watch it, i just pull up Kodi; it's not a big deal.  I do check every once in awhile to see if the situation has changed though.

I did notice my wife going into Kodi to watch recordings, but not a playback issue in Emby, we just have ServerWMC set to record more shows she wants than Emby.  I've corrected that and let's see if she sticks with Emby.  I just set to Emby to transcode all recorded TV to MP4 so also want to see what that does in the Emby App.

Yes, trying to move away from Kodi so i can turn off my dedicated windows 7 box for ServerWMC but again, not a high priority. Server and media runs on FreeNAS.

If not for some DVRd content from Live TV, i'd cord cut FIOS and move to antennae but so far no solutions offered (that is competitive with my FIOS  rate), particularly sports and news.