Direct Play Fire TV

mhiggins
Go to solution Solved by krustyreturns,

mhiggins

Hey guys,

I'm having issues getting Direct Play working with a gen 1 Fire TV. When I try to tune to a channel I just get a spinning circle. I have the HTTP host service enabled, as well as the recommended URL setting (basically the first 2 of 3 checkboxes under the Http Service tab). I have also tried forcing the IP address as mentioned in this thread:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/28034-no-direct-stream-live-tv/

but no luck. I attached a ServerWMC log from when I tried to tune to a channel. Any ideas?

ServerWMC.1.log

krustyreturns

Hi,

I looked at your log but it doesn't have an instance of where you tried to start a direct play stream.  Please restart serverwmc, try to start the stream, then post the log again.  Thanks.

krustyreturns

Thanks for the log.  I assume on the cases you logged above direct play did not work.  According to this log,  serverwmc is providing all the data it needs to for direct play (namely detailed stream info).  For example:

2016/09/10 20:08:04.023 StreamInfo returned: 
2016/09/10 20:08:04.023  >  Type: Audio> Index: 0, Codec: ac3, Bitrate: 384.00 kbps, SampleRate: 48.00 ksps, Channels: 6, Layout: 5.1
2016/09/10 20:08:04.023  >  Type: Audio> Index: 1, Codec: ac3, Bitrate: 128.00 kbps, SampleRate: 48.00 ksps, Channels: 1, Layout: 1.0
2016/09/10 20:08:04.023  >  Type: Video> Index: 2, Codec: mpeg2video, Bitrate: (8.85) mbps, Framerate: 30 fps, Width: 1920, Height: 1080, Profile: MP, Level: 

Assuming your network can handle the bandwidth I think direct play should have worked.  I guess we'll need the emby guys to enlighten us.  

Yes in this log I was not able to Direct Play to the Fire TV. The network should be sufficient. Both are connected via powerline. I am also able to play to my TV using DLNA. While we wait for the Emby guys, is there anything I can try in the meantime?

He means play something that you think should play direct and then provide the logs from that session.

Also, before doing that, confirm that you have the option to direct stream live TV enabled in the app.

I checked to make sure and the Direct Stream Live TV option is enabled in the Fire TV app settings. The Direct Stream w/ VLC is enabled too, although disabling it doesn't fix the problem. In this session, I tried to tune to channel 13.1 under user 'matt'. When I do this, the screen looks like it will start playing but never gets past the black screen with the looping animation. I did not see any error messages pop up. I attached the logs from ServerWMC and the Emby Server. I also sent the logs from the Fire TV app from within the app. Let me know what else I can do!

Edit: Just remembered that for some reason the time in the Fire TV app is 3 hours behind my local time. Haven't figured out why that is yet. So if there is some discrepancy in times between logs that is why!

Edit 2: Just kidding, turns out I never looked in the Fire TV settings for the time zone. That set it to my correct time. Still having the issue of Direct Playing Live TV though :\

server-63609294637.txt

ServerWMC.log

Edited by mhiggins

If you disable the option to direct stream Live TV, does it transcode and playback properly?

If you have the option to bitstream DD turned on, try turning that off.

Krusty - would a playback url for ServerWMC ever contain a '%' sign?

If I turn off direct stream, it will transcode but playback is choppy. After a few minutes the audio and video get out of sync. As more time passes they get more out of sync.

I currently have the option to bitstream DD on, as well as the other audio bitsteam option (forgot what it's called). Tonight I will try that!

krustyreturns

Krusty - would a playback url for ServerWMC ever contain a '%' sign?

Uh oh...  Yes.  Here is an example playback url (minus the http part to get it to display correctly in this post):

192.168.1.217:9180/serverwmc.stream/StreamRemuxFile?clientName=Emby%5eMORBO%5e0

that a problem?

Edited by krustyreturns

Uh oh...  Yes.  Here is an example playback url (minus the http part to get it to display correctly in this post):

192.168.1.217:9180/serverwmc.stream/StreamRemuxFile?clientName=Emby%5eMORBO%5e0

that a problem?

Okay, I think that explains why his direct playback doesn't work.  That issue should be fixed already in the beta so you should be able to test it.

Just for your edification - the issue is with the Android logger which interprets those % signs as formatting replacement holders but then it cannot find an object to replace and throws an exception.  So the simple act of me attempting to display the path of what is being played in the log is crapping out and stopping playback.

Interestingly, I did not see this error in his log but I suspect it is actually what is happening and the 1st gen fire just isn't logging it.

krustyreturns

@@ebr,

Thanks for the info, glad there is away around it in the logger.  Good bit of detective work there.

Yes, I can confirm direct play works with the beta. 

Ah, thanks for the clarification! I will go ahead and sign up for the Fire TV beta. Do you know if it matters what version of the Emby Windows Server I am on?

The beta version worked! Thanks guys!

Just a couple last questions. Every 5 seconds or so there is a stutter. Nothing huge but you can tell playback isn't 100% smooth. Network should be fine as the server is hooked up to a powerline adapter and getting speeds around 25 Mbps to the outside world, and the Fire TV is hooked directly into the router.

I am able to pause TV but not rewind. Should this be possible with direct play? Not sure I understand the differences between direct play, direct stream, and transcoding.

If these aren't quick answers just let me know and I can open up another thread in the correct place.

Thanks!