Chromecast and subtitles

martinandres987

martinandres987
Hello everyone, my English is not very good but we will try my luck asking if anyone knows if there is any way to change the size or at least the color of the subtitles when you send content from android to a chromecast or if there I post it on github for them to add in a next version if it is possible the solution of it ...

From already thank you very much to anyone that I can answer this question ...

Greetings.

martinandres987

Hi, welcome. What changes exactly do you want to make?

the ideal is to change the size / color of subtitles when played in a chromecast

• 1 month later...
guastucci01

I started using Emby and I was fascinated with application, mainly with the information that the video library provide us and with the speed of connection between my computer and the Chromecast. I use the application on my mobile device (galaxy S6). However, the subtitles are too small, really small, and I can barely read, so, it is impossible to use the Emby in my case because I'd need larger subtitles. I wouldn't need or subtitles of another color (like yellow, but say it would be great) just need the subtitles were higher. There is something in production in this sense? Thanks a lot and congrat ´ s Award for outstanding application/server.

Hello Luke & Emby team, good job and I wish you good luck with Emby.

I'm first time testing it and possible switch away from Plex, but I have two show stoppers on Chromecast - I'll write them here, don't want to start a new topic:

1. Two issues related to subtitles:

A. Subtitle Size on Chromecast are too small, see attached pictures related to Plex and MPC-HC(Emby is in middle picture).

post-164784-0-12037900-1477679118_thumb.jpgpost-164784-0-13263600-1477679119_thumb.jpgpost-164784-0-49611300-1477679119_thumb.jpg

B. Subtitle Align:

- subtitle text on 2 lines should be align-bottom, as much as possible on the bottom black line(see right picture above, perfect custom aligned on MPC-HC).

- subtitle text on one line is aligned bottom-first line, but should be aligned bottom-second line(Emby is in middle picture).

post-164784-0-83448700-1477679119_thumb.jpgpost-164784-0-14490100-1477679120_thumb.jpgpost-164784-0-43847900-1477679120_thumb.jpg

2. Photos on Chromecast:

- photos are not displayed on Chromecast, just the folder name(same issue described here https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/38690-pictures-not-broadcasted-to-chromecast/)

Regards,

Costi B.

Edited by costib
  • Like 1

I've pushed an update to our chromecast receiver to put the subtitles at the bottom and increase the font size by 20%. Please wait about 10 minutes, then reboot your chromecast device, restart the app you're casting from and try again. Thanks !

Thanks Luke, looks different(better) now.

Can we fine tune it a bit more? Something like positioning a bit more down(with about half a text line) and increase another 5%?

When will subtitles for recorded TV be brought back? This has not been working for some months.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

When will subtitles for recorded TV be brought back? This has not been working for some months.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

I fixed them recently for Next PVR by adding the media probe of the live stream, but then I had to remove it for Next PVR due to playback failures. So the reason you are not getting subtitles is because Emby is not aware of them. We will have to revisit this later, but in all other playback scenarios it should work fine.

What you should do is take your recorded tv out of next pvr and just add it to Emby as a regular video library.

I've tried adding the shared network Recorded TV folder to Emby, as Content type - TV, and Movies. Previously I had the Content type set as Unset (mixed content)

None of these display subtitles when Chromcasting to my TV.

What steps am i missing in my setup?

Still not seeing any subtitles when casting to TV from latest Android app.

Please find 3 logs from server and 1 log from App.

(Prior to conducting this test I deleted all previous logs)

Let me know if you need any more info.

it's trying to transcode because of the subtitles. i will add dvb_subtitle to the supported direct play formats because i'm sure libvlc can handle it.

Actually that will only help local playback, not chromecast. we'll have to look into that more closely for chromecast. thanks.

Thanks Luke for all you efforts.

I don't know if this is related or helps, but subtitles work fine in Emby Theater, but not in the Server itself. Subs used to work in the server in the past.

• 7 months later...
ciceroripi

Hello Luke & Emby team, good job and I wish you good luck with Emby.

I'm first time testing it and possible switch away from Plex, but I have two show stoppers on Chromecast - I'll write them here, don't want to start a new topic:

1. Two issues related to subtitles:

A. Subtitle Size on Chromecast are too small, see attached pictures related to Plex and MPC-HC(Emby is in middle picture).

01-PLEX.jpg 02-EMBY.jpg 03-MPC-HC.jpg

B. Subtitle Align:

- subtitle text on 2 lines should be align-bottom, as much as possible on the bottom black line(see right picture above, perfect custom aligned on MPC-HC).

- subtitle text on one line is aligned bottom-first line, but should be aligned bottom-second line(Emby is in middle picture).

11-PLEX.jpg 12-EMBY.jpg 13-MPC-HC.jpg

2. Photos on Chromecast:

- photos are not displayed on Chromecast, just the folder name(same issue described here https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/38690-pictures-not-broadcasted-to-chromecast/)

Regards,

Costi B.

I'm a new user and I really like the work here, however I'm using Plex only because of the way subtitles work on Chromecast. Both actually, Emby to navigate and Plex for the play.

From the discussion above, it looked like it was fixed, but for me I still see not aligned with the bottom and they are a little to big.

Choosing the size can be better, since each one wants different.

Aligned in the bottom is really necessary.

Also, I use SRTs in Portuguese, letters like ã, í, ó that are used a lot, shows as a symbol.

Thanks!

I'm a new user and I really like the work here, however I'm using Plex only because of the way subtitles work on Chromecast. Both actually, Emby to navigate and Plex for the play.

From the discussion above, it looked like it was fixed, but for me I still see not aligned with the bottom and they are a little to big.

Choosing the size can be better, since each one wants different.

Aligned in the bottom is really necessary.

Also, I use SRTs in Portuguese, letters like ã, í, ó that are used a lot, shows as a symbol.

Thanks!

@@ciceroripi i can see why they are at the bottom. we will push out a fix for that, thanks.

As for the symbols, you can fix this by making sure the subtitles are named with with language code in the file name:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Subtitles

The next release of Emby Server will actually add language detection, so it might not be entirely necessary anymore once that is released, although explicitly naming them will always be recommended.