Path to use when adding folders on Synology

Hijinxx
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

Hi,

When im setting up the server should I be using the local path ie /volume2/tv or the network path ie \\192.168.67.1\tv ?

When I added the folders with the local path emby found the media files no problem but no files were showing in KODI,

When I try and add the folders using the network path to see if this resolves the issue it does not let me add the path giving me a path error. Im thinking this could be because it cant see the network path as it is the same IP as the NAS itself so it wouldnt be able to route to it ? 

The folders have r/w permisson. 

Any ideas?

Hi @Hijinxx 

You add the folders to Emby using the local path e.g. /volume2/tv etc.

If you want your apps or devices to directly play the files, you then need to go into the path substitution tab to add the SMB path e.g. \\192.168.67.1\tv.

Here is a link to the wiki about path substitution -

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Path-Substitution

For Kodi to see and sync the library you need to have the emby for kodi plugin installed on your kodi client, which syncs the emby library to your Kodi clients

https://emby.media/emby-for-kodi.html

Regards, 

Shane

I cant get the path substitution to work, I've re scanned my media a whole load of times. If you look at the screen shot I have attached you can see that the path substitution is there but not being picked up !! 

post-135182-0-25827500-1473713355_thumb.png

Edited by Hijinxx
  • Like 1

Hi James,

Im running Version 3.0.7100.0 on Synology. I will send my emby logs to you now. How will you know which ones are mine ?  Thx

• Solution
solabc16

Thanks @@Hijinxx, I believe you will find that the problem is being caused by your 'From' paths containing leading white space, see below.

"PathSubstitutions":[{"From":" /volume2/TV/","To":"\\\\192.168.3.1\\tv\\"},{"From":" /volume2/movies/","To":"\\\\192.168.3.1\\movies\\"}]
                              ^                                                     ^

Can you edit/readd these and let me know how you get on.

@@Luke could we consider adding a trim on save when committing these settings?

- James

• Like 2

solabc16

Hi @@Hijinxx

No problem and thanks for letting us know it solved the problem.

It's impossible to spot from the UI, so without looking in the logs you wouldn't have seen it.

- James

Thanks @@Hijinxx, I believe you will find that the problem is being caused by your 'From' paths containing leading white space, see below.

"PathSubstitutions":[{"From":" /volume2/TV/","To":"\\\\192.168.3.1\\tv\\"},{"From":" /volume2/movies/","To":"\\\\192.168.3.1\\movies\\"}]
                              ^                                                     ^

Can you edit/readd these and let me know how you get on.

@@Luke could we consider adding a trim on save when committing these settings?

- James

Excellent idea, thanks.