Giving Music it's due...

2BTSquared

2BTSquared

I understand that these clients are new and under development, so don't take this as a slam. I'm just hoping that the device clients for MB someday give Music it's due. The things I'd be looking for to call a device client useful... Some basic music collection interface functionality like being able to filter (on various criteria) and search to narrow down items of interest in a large collection. Be able to queue results of such filtering. Create playlist or play playlist. Randomizing and repeat. Etc... In fact I haven't found this functionality in any of the Media Browswer/Portal/Center type apps that I've looked at so far. I exclude XBMC and Plex in that statement because I havn't checked them out due to their lack of built in live TV support (or any anticipated prospect of it) and a few other reasons. The only option that I've seen is something like Subsonic. The downside there is that it requires the installation and configuration of yet another server/client solution. It would be nice if one solution could handle everything "Media".

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
icedragonslair

I too would love some music support for devices, but then again I am still having issues using MB3 for my music since I have a vast collection and it seems to take forever to set a playlist or to even play an externally made playlist...if that is even possible on the classic of theater versions?

Koleckai Silvestri

Playlists are going to be a server feature. They don't exist yet and many of us are waiting for them. There are other issues to deal with.

The web client does allow you to play music at the artist, album and song levels. It currently includes basic shuffle and mix modes. This hasn't been carried into the clients that I can see. Media Browser Classic appears to play songs on a song by song basis.

I do agree some work does need to be done for music though. Would be nice for playlist creation to work.

I realise I'm in the minority here, but, as a classical music lover, being able to select by Composer would be nice to have. WMP has had it for years, but it seems to have been forgotten as newer, flashier clients have emerged...