Emby server connection to Synology music folder

mattizz

I have this setup:

A VPS server running the Emby server fine and fast. Running Emby on my Synology DS216J is impossible, it's to slow.

All my music files are on my Synology in the path /volume1/music.

I try to add my Synology music file path in the Emby library but without any succes.

In Emby I cannot browse the entire VPS server and its directories, I don'n know why not and though I use sshfs on the VPS server to ssh mount the Synology music files succesfully, I still cannot connect to the files using Emby. The command I use on my VPS server to connect with the Synology is sudo sshfs admin@xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/music /home/music/

Also I can make a succesful secure WebDav connection to the Synology en browse the music files via my router and portforwarding to my Synology on port 5006.

Does anybody recognize this issue ? I read a lot about this but maybe somebody can give me the right working path to my Synology music files or maybe connect the other way, so from the Synology to the VPS server ?

Cheers

Mattizz

solabc16

Hello @@mattizz

Would you be interested in trying out the beta Emby package for Synology?

The performance is better and we have good results so far during testing.

What functions in particular were you finding impossibly slow on you DS216J?

- James

Hello James,

I removed the package from my NAS because sometimes on my LAN the connection with the server was timed out. It took minutes waiting opening the dashboard etc, a huge difference with the VPS server it runs on now.

I tried the Beta, installed the regular spk version from here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22921-synology-setup and after that installed the update as mentioned here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34516-updating-emby-on-dsm6-systems/ but no difference.

If you are familiar with this issue I am willing to try a solution because its more easy to run the server on my NAS than on the remote VPS.

But do you know how to solve that connection problem Emby on VPS to my Synology music folder ?

Gr.

Edited by mattizz

solabc16

Hello @@mattizz

I probably should have been a little clearer, this is an Emby supported package for Synology.

So it's not only the Emby Server software itself, but everything that goes along with it.

The trick to being able to use remote sources is to make sure they are mounted somewhere on the local file system and the permissions are set correctly; with that in place it will work. There's a related coversation here, on the subject: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/38561-add-media-library-from-second-synology-box/. You will just need to find a common protocol that you can use to make the remote file system available.

I've sent you a PM, so you can access the beta package - the latest beta release for your platform is 3.1.136.0-1-beta, so I'd suggest starting there.

- James

Hello James,

Thanks for your reply, I will try the Beta install and will let you know how that worked. Also thanks for your advise to use remote services to connect the VPS and the Synology though I was hoping somebody would post a workaround so I don't need to figure out myself :)

- Mattizz

Hello James,

I uninstalled the Emby server from my Synology DS216J. I think the lack of processor power is due to the poor performance. I've spend lots of time waiting for indexing, loading content that didn't want to startup or didn't want to stream etc.

I'm still trying to map my Synology /volume1/music folder to my VPS Ubuntu Emby server but no luck yet.

solabc16

Hello @@mattizz

I'm surprised you weren't able to get this going, we have quite a few users running successfully on the Armada 38x based systems.

Of course, transcoding is likely out of the question.

However, with direct play support possible for a number of popular configurations, this should be the prime objective for any setup.

With regard to getting the mapping working, in general terms, you need to...

- pick a protocol that both the client (your VPS) and server (your Synology) support.

- make sure you can secure the connection appropriately for your purposes.

- mount and persist the shared volume within your VPS box's file system.

- configure an Emby library to point at the location within the VPS box's file system.

- James

Hello James,

Thanks for your patience. I can connect to my Synology from the VPS, see the attached screenshot. There I can see the music folder containing all the music.

It is connected using secure WebDAV on port 5006 and I can browse my entire Synology harddrive.

The connection is being portforwarded through my router to my Synology.

So no problem here but how do I connect to this Synology Music share (on /volume1/music on my Synology) from the Emby server on the VPS ?

57d5ce42e6448_screenshot_721.png

solabc16

Hello @@mattizz

From the Emby server on the VPS you need to 'Add Media Library' or re-configure an existing to use the local path that is mapped to your Synology box.

e.g. if you were using davfs2, you could do the following:-

sudo mount -t davfs http://webdav.example.com/directory /mnt/

You could then use /mnt in your Emby Server library configuration.

Of course, ideally you'd want to set this up in your /etc/fstab and have it mounted automatically by the system at startup.

- James

Hello James,

Thanks for this solution I will try how this works.

Meanwhile I also finally have a working solution.

On the Ubuntu server run this command:

sudo sshfs -o uid=1000 -o gid=1000 -o allow_other admin@xx.xx.xx.xx:/music /media/music

The Synology music map is now connected with the VPS and in the Emby library all the music is visible on the path /media/music :-)

Now I need to make fstab using this command so I am always connected --- happy !