Emby Theater Xbox One app few issues

BAS

First being the settings area for users. Once you pick say general and start to navigate around you will notice the options changing, for example my english language changed to french by moving down to the next option i wanted to change on that page.

The workaround I found for now to set my preferences was to hit the menu button and disable gamepad mode, thus allowing me a cursor to navigate thru these options. Quitting the app and relaunching reengages gamepad mode.

Now the big one, the UI doesnt seem to be consuming my entire TV screen even when changing the display mode. Hitting play on media it becomes even more evident as the same size restriction is enforced there as well... i tried to take a horrible screenshot to show you the border size im seeing. What content I attempted to play so far appeared to direct play but didnt get much farther then seeing this huge border around playback and UI.

57cef77799b9d_20160906_1255591.jpg

The app reports as logged in as Edge 14.14393   2.0.1 for version number i guess.

Edited by BAS

Scott310

Go into xbox settings under display and you will see a box that you can uncheck that says "allow apps to create a border"  Uncheck the box.  I did that and the app is now the perfect size.

Nice yep I found it, Settings, Display&Sound, Video Output, Overscan Border, unchecked. Now I will have to see if any other apps need that to be on.

The dropdown box issue is fixed. I am looking into the fullscreen issue hoping the app can just enable that by default. Either that or i'll have to add on-screen instruction because that's going to be hard to find.

Not only is the dropdown issue fixed, but stick navigation is also finally available with Emby Theater on Xbox One.

• Like 1

Scott310

I thought that the harmony remote sent the same signal as the stick or do you need to enable remote support or something like that?  Cause the stick navigation works but media center remote through the harmony doesn't.  Just curious.

I've fixed the border. You no longer need to use the system setting. Now it's time to finally enjoy the app :)

And add another plug for skin development:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-302-learn-how-to-create-skins-for-emby-theater/

You can build one skin that will run on Emby Theater for Xbox One, the web browser, Samsung Tizen, the Windows desktop app, and soon others. Have fun.

• Like 3

Scott310

If I need to make a new post I will but I was couting the minutes until this came out to be the final answer to the freezing problem I was having with the edge browser version. With the app I left the bitrate setting at auto and a short way into the movie it started to stutter and freeze. On the server page it said it was direct playing the movie. I changed the bitrate to 6 meg and it seems to have fixed the issue "so far". Although now it is transcoding. I don't mind that it's transcoding as long as the the picture is clear and I get surround sound. But why is this happening? I am watching the movie inside my local network. I have 150 megs of Internet and the movie is being watched over my gig lan.

swhitmore

I thought that the harmony remote sent the same signal as the stick or do you need to enable remote support or something like that?  Cause the stick navigation works but media center remote through the harmony doesn't.  Just curious.

Does the remote work for other things? This will be a must for me. I remember trying it in the past and it worked with the Xbox One profile.

swhitmore

Yeah, the remote works for me too. Well done with the app Luke, this could potentially replace my whole HTPC. Thank you.

@@Luke resuming doesn't work for me. When I hit resume, it takes me to the start of the episode.

AndyBak

Popped up in the store minutes before going to be last night so only had a quick play around with it. As above can confirm my Harmony remote works with the app (didn't with Emby Theatre through the web browser).

Also it seems a little quicker/responsive than the browser version which is a plus.

Will try an watch a few things with it this evening to see if it addresses the issue of certain videos freezing.

swhitmore

Will try an watch a few things with it this evening to see if it addresses the issue of certain videos freezing.

Haven't had any freezing for the videos I've played so far. DTS is transcoding, everything else is direct play. I'll test some more, but really tempted to decommission my HTPC now.

Edited by swhitmore

Confirmed no messing with xbox one settings area, that is now fixed, also movement and navigation for settings of the app is working correctly thank you. Also confirmed additions of left analog stick, directional pad, and universal remote (harmony) works mine was set to directional up,down,left,right but never worked in gamepad mode on the edge version.

Here is somethings I'm noticing as well as some things that may help performance for larger library users and not sure how easy it is to target this version of Theater only for some of these things

I am seeing the no resume on TV based content only, along with scenes not working. Works fine on the movies side both resuming and scenes.

Still can't see past 4000 items, perhaps breaking the all series, all movies, albums/artists view into letter groups with a more option for each letter would be a workaround design wise for the time being while still leaving the letter selector for quick access to that letter group.

Another thing I'm noticing is the backdrops appear to be on, with a large library this is causing issues. They are fine when you enter a item, but its the interface trying to display them when you are picking an item. I've seen 15 secs freezes before it catches up.

I think taking advantage of a More button for all categories would be nice like you see in genres especially for larger library users. So the years section would be quicker access etc. Also on the play media page, perhaps cast and crew, scenes etc could have a more as well so the user realizes there is stuff down there, or just doesnt think its cast and crew and doesnt scroll any further down.

Letter selector for the Collections area please

As for playback all is well here, played a few of the items that were having issues in edge and havent had any of the weird freezing issues that I would see in there. Most of my content appears to be direct playing, tested music, video, and live tv. My bitrate is set 1080p 15Mbps, the skip ahead and skip back in user prefs for app is being respected. I'll report back with more when I come across anything else,

Thanks.

• Like 1

CBers

The app reports as logged in as Edge 14.14393 2.0.1 for version number i guess.

I just noticed that after finally getting the app to show on the Store on my Xbox One :)

rliepins

It would be nice to have full Xbox media remote functionality as well.  The FF and RW do not work at all.  Also, I noticed that when I press the right arrow on the gamepad to skip 15 seconds, it flashes to the splash screen for a few seconds and then resumes.  I would really love to see better remote performance for this.

Bravo, BTW.  Its great to see active development like this.

Edited by rliepins
  • Like 1

CBers

Resume doesn't work - playback starts at the beginning.

Pause/Play button on the Xbox One Remote is ineffective - you have to use the OSD version.

It would be nice to have full Xbox media remote functionality as well.  The FF and RW do not work at all.  Also, I noticed that when I press the right arrow on the gamepad to skip 15 seconds, it flashes to the splash screen for a few seconds and then resumes.  I would really love to see better remote performance for this.

I see the splash screen as well and confirm that i must use a right or left directional press on remote when time/play bar isnt present to skip back or forward or bring up the time/play bar and use the buttons on the bar.

Cortana/Xbox voice commands dont work for play,pause, etc as it thinks there is nothing playing, I'm assuming cause its a custom player, but that isnt a deal breaker for me.

Edited by BAS

swhitmore

It would be nice to have full Xbox media remote functionality as well. The FF and RW do not work at all. Also, I noticed that when I press the right arrow on the gamepad to skip 15 seconds, it flashes to the splash screen for a few seconds and then resumes. I would really love to see better remote performance for this.

Bravo, BTW. Its great to see active development like this.

I'm only seeing the flash while it's transcoding. Direct play is fine. As for the remote, if you're using a harmony, can you just map those buttons accordingly? Edited by swhitmore

Cbers on your resume, can you confirm what I put in a few posts ago... I am seeing the no resume on TV based content only, along with scenes not working. Works fine on the movies side both resuming and scenes. Confirmed the play pause button has to be done on the time/play bar like cbers stated.

Not perfect remote functionality yet but you can get around and do the things we need without turning a controller on thats for sure.

CBers

BAS - what do you mean by "no resume"?

You mean there's no resume icon on the details page, or you don't get the option to resume when you press play?

I don't see a resume icon, but get the option to resume when I press play (like in Kodi), it just doesn't work for TV, but does for Movies.

I concur that there are no chapters/scenes for TV or Movies.