Edge Browser Audio Playback Issue

jayw654

I have Windows 10 build 1607 with Edge Browser 38.14393.0.0 This new update browser now supports h.265 and Opus, which is fantastic. I know folks have bad tastes in their mouth about windows products mainly Microsoft browsers but this one really seems to be a winner. Anyhow my issue is simple the embeded playback utility will not load in the edge browser and in turn no audio will play. Please fix this as soon as you can, Thanks!

BTW the reason you see the bar in this pic is because this is Chrome but I copied to illustrate the bar/embedded player that I'm talking about that is missing from Edge browser.

missing%20bar_zpsc5t6pcaf.jpg

Edited by jayw654

Hi, thanks for the report. I test this quite frequently and have not seen any problems with audio playback in Edge. I just tested it again with no problem found. Thanks.

Lastly, all transcoders are disabled intentionally so please retest with transcoders disabled. I'm also using the opus format @510kbps

Edited by jayw654

yup, I just verified the only way it will work in Edge is with transcoder enable which is EXACTLY what I don't want. I need it to work without the transcoder enabled.

The browser is reporting that it does not support opus, and true enough, you try to play opus and it doesn't play. So you'll need to research exactly what edge version is required. Better yet just trust that Emby is giving you the best available based on what the browser supports.

"Better yet just trust that Emby is giving you the best available based on what the browser supports.", Sorry can't do that. Goto in edge browser and type in "about:flags" without the quotes and you can clearly see in version Microsoft Edge 38.14393.0.0 that opus is clearly supported and turned on by default. Please investigate the issue further please. Thanks!

yup, your right but to be fair Edge CLEARLY said something different so please don't hate me for challenging the issue I was just looking for why the audio under Opus was not playing in edge. Well I know now. This was not a waste as the site you sent me to for testing proved very useful. So for now this issue is closed but I did send a message to Mozilla Firefox about the lag in starting to play the h.264 with aac videos in v48.02. Evidently this is a known issue that seems to be reoccurring in Firefox.

I have other bugs to report so please standby as in a few days I will start posting them and only one issue has to do with transcoding but its minor and has to do with wanting to hide the playback mbps option entirely when direct play (no transcoding) is enabled in a web browser.

Edited by jayw654