Images not Displaying in Web Client

dukejames
Go to solution Solved by dukejames,

dukejames
Hello,

For some reason, images aren't being displayed on the Movies tab or on the Shows tab. I've had this issue for a few days but thought it would clear itself up after a restart or after its scheduled tasks of cleaning the database and scanning the library. That wasn't the case.

I do see errors in the Log that says:

System.IO.IOException
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileSystemEnumerableIterator`1.CommonInit()
    at System.IO.DirectoryInfo.EnumerateFileSystemInfos(String searchPattern, SearchOption searchOption)
    at CommonIO.ManagedFileSystem.GetFileSystemEntries(String path, Boolean recursive)
    at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.DirectoryService.GetFileSystemDictionary(String path, Boolean clearCache)
    at MediaBrowser.Controller.Providers.DirectoryService.GetFileSystemEntries(String path)
    at MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.<RefreshMetadata>d__23.MoveNext()

and

Error App: Error validating images

I've attached a full log as reference. Why is this happening and how to I repair this?

Log.zip

It looks like there's some kind of I/O or device error in your network setup

2016-09-03 00:00:00.0565 Error App: Error validating images for \\NAS516\DVDs_tmp\TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES (2014)
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.6400.0
	Command line: C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	Processor count: 8
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Program data path: C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\James\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

System.IO.IOException

dukejames

Nothings changed in my network and the Emby Server can reach the NAS. I can manually access the data as well. Although the server was recently updated to version 3.0.6400.0, I'm pretty sure I first noticed this directly before with version 3.0.630. I only had these 2 versions within a span of about a week.

What type of troubleshooting could I perform? What other logs could I provide?

Unfortunately I can't tell you what the problem is because it's specific to your environment, and there is no Emby logging that is going to help here. What's happening is we are trying to access your network, and the operating system (Windows), is throwing the error mentioned above.

When I google the error I find a few different things, including a hotfix from Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3060682

Some interesting info here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/760be39b-1110-49f3-ae7d-73d236f56f55/the-specified-server-cannot-perform-the-requested-operation?forum=winserver8gen

Also from here:

http://support.adminarsenal.com/hc/en-us/articles/222640928-The-Specified-Server-Cannot-Perform-the-Requested-Operation

You receive the error, "The specified server cannot perform the requested operation." This is typically associated with a Windows error 58, ERROR_BAD_NET_RESP. You might also see something along the lines of, "File Path: \\computer.domain.com\ipc$" indicating the source path of the failure.

Resolution:

An ERROR_BAD_NET_RESP, or bad network response, can have many causes some of which are listed below. Typically, a reboot of the failed target machine(s) resolves the issue. If the issue persists after a reboot of the miscreant target, please see the following possible causes and remedies (from most to least common).

DNS:
A misconfigured DNS can cause this issue where PDQ is attempting to access the share of a target machine that does not resolve properly. Check DNS to make sure the hostname and IP resolve correctly and that NetBIOS is in agreement with that resolution. The See Also section below contains resources and guidance on how to identify and correct DNS issues.

Third Party Software:
In certain cases, security software might be the cause of the error. Temporarily disable any antivirus or antimalware software and attempt again.

Other software might also contribute to this error, especially software that utilizes CIFS/SMB at a lower version than that required within the environment.

Are they 0 byte images?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dukejames

Hi Speechles - No, i don't see any 0 byte images. I do use a combination of Media Center Master and Emby to search for images. The option of "Save artwork and metadata into media folders" is disabled.

The images are now being displayed and I'm trying to narrow down why. Since Luke's message, I've:

- Restarted the NAS

- Stopped Avira's Realtime Protection (Windows Notification appeared that both Avira and Windows Defender are Disabled)

- Stopped Emby Server Service, and opened the App so it would load in the System Tray

- Cleaned the database

- Began another Media Library Scan

I'll have to take this backwards. I think I'll re-enable Avira first.

Happy2Play

Hi Speechles - No, i don't see any 0 byte images. I do use a combination of Media Center Master and Emby to search for images. The option of "Save artwork and metadata into media folders" is disabled.

The images are now being displayed and I'm trying to narrow down why. Since Luke's message, I've:

- Restarted the NAS

- Stopped Avira's Realtime Protection (Windows Notification appeared that both Avira and Windows Defender are Disabled)

- Stopped Emby Server Service, and opened the App so it would load in the System Tray

- Cleaned the database

- Began another Media Library Scan

I'll have to take this backwards. I think I'll re-enable Avira first.

With that option disabled all metadata and images are potentially get re-downloaded and stored locally then.

dukejames

Hi Happy2Play - Would you please explain that, I didn't understand. Are you saying that the images are re-downloaded by the client and saved locally on the client? Or are you saying that the images are re-downloaded on the Emby Server from wherever it gets it?

I think I was able to figure out why this is happening. I'll follow-up once I know for sure.

Happy2Play

You commented using MCM and Emby for images, but not sure if the setting you refer to created issues since MCM is always saving with media and your are tell Emby to save everything locally.

So is Emby ignoring the metadata and images saved with media and recreating locally since the setting is disabled?

You commented using MCM and Emby for images, but not sure if the setting you refer to created issues since MCM is always saving with media and your are tell Emby to save everything locally.

So is Emby ignoring the metadata and images saved with media and recreating locally since the setting is disabled?

I'm even confused by that :)

Happy2Play

I'm even confused by that :)

If I disable save with media will Emby still read existing metadata or create all new locally?

dukejames

Wow, my apologies! :)

The setting I was referring to is in Emby Server. In the Dashboard, I went to Metadata and copy/pasted the text from there.

Emby doesn't always pull in the artwork, or not the artwork I'd prefer; so I'd used MCM. When I use MCM, Emby does pull in those images which is great.

When I click "Home" or "Movies" and end up on the Suggestions page, the artwork displays. Once I switch to the "Movies" tab, most of the images aren't displayed.

Lastly I opened 2 sample folders, 1 which displays the artwork and the other which does not. For the one which displays artwork, there's no data in the folder. For the one which does not, there's a .nfo, .jpg and .xml file. So I'm guessing this data was created by MCM.

I'm almost done testing, it just takes a long time to wait for Emby to finish erroring out. I believe it's a permission issue with the service itself. Earlier, the artwork displayed after performing the steps I mentioned earlier. The moment I exited the Emby App from the tray icon and started it as a service, the scanning takes an incredibly long time to complete. So, I think it's the Windows Service that's using an account which can't access the shared folder.

Just a guess but, would take some time to finish testing.

dukejames

Also to add, I checked some more folders which Emby is displaying artwork for. These do have metadata from MCM. So some folders with MCM data is showing and some aren't.

• Solution
dukejames

Everything is OK now, it was a permissions issue. I must've been using the Emby App from the Start Menu which would've used my currently logged on credentials to access the NAS. Now that I've updated the Emby service with my credentials, everything's fine.

Thanks!

Oh, and thanks for letting me know it was a Windows Error causing the Emby errors to manifest. That was the hint I needed!

Edited by dukejames