Emby Theater in Windows Store

icthusman1

I'm probably a bit stupid, but why another app in the Windows Store in addition to Emby UWP? What distinguishes Emby Theater UWP and Emby for Windows UWP (outside appearance and the fact that one is bought and the other requires a Premium account)?

Edited by Davco

The Emby app is an app from a community developer while Emby Theater is from the core Emby team.

Yes I omitted this detail that I noticed but I do not understand this "competition" (note the quotes)

icthusman1

Yes I omitted this detail that I noticed but I do not understand this "competition" (note the quotes)

The Emby app has been around since Windows 8 days. The dev @@7illusions has re-written the app for Windows 10 as a UWP app which supports Desktop, tablet, mobile, Xbox, HoloLens, and Hub. It is an independent dev working on this.

Emby Theater is built by the Emby team and is also a UWP app supporting the same categories. Theater is the same as tv.emby.media on the web so the interface is quite different from that of the Emby app. I have also noticed that in some cases it plays video files better than 7's app but there are other areas where 7's app shines. He is continuing to add new features as well.

Personally, I am using both at the moment and testing them out. If you are Premiere, then try out Theater. If you aren't then buying 7's app is cheaper. Although, you should be premiere to support the team developing the server itself...

Currently 7s app supports offline viewing (I think that is the new term) and theater does not

Edited by Vidman

7illusions

Yes, the original app was originally developed by me when MediaBrowser was a hobby project. Since then a lot has happened, Media Browser became Emby, Hobby became a living..

But since the app has been around for 3 years, I really don't feel like dropping support for it just because something new arises..

The plan is that I will need to change the name of the app, and icon, but I haven't decided the direction of the App yet.. Will it just be a Emby app, or will it support other products as well? I seriously don't know.

• Like 1

The Emby app has been around since Windows 8 days. The dev @@7illusions has re-written the app for Windows 10 as a UWP app which supports Desktop, tablet, mobile, Xbox, HoloLens, and Hub. It is an independent dev working on this.

Emby Theater is built by the Emby team and is also a UWP app supporting the same categories. Theater is the same as tv.emby.media on the web so the interface is quite different from that of the Emby app. I have also noticed that in some cases it plays video files better than 7's app but there are other areas where 7's app shines. He is continuing to add new features as well.

Personally, I am using both at the moment and testing them out. If you are Premiere, then try out Theater. If you aren't then buying 7's app is cheaper. Although, you should be premiere to support the team developing the server itself...

I know all that and I bought the app and I'm Premium too. And I don't understand the release of another app only few weeks after the release of the Emby UWP. The fact that are other dev change nothing for me, it's this competition that I don't understand.

I bought the application when it was the only on Windows 8, then to 8.1, then it comes into UWP few weeks ago and now I get an email informing me of the releaset of Emby Theater UWP and I do not understand why this development of concurrent applications. I like both, although for the moment, Emby UWP is more advanced (full screen, for example).

If I give up the app I would have the feeling of having bought something for "nothing" and even abandoning his creator. If I do not use Emby Theater UWP, I will say that part of my Premium subscription is not used, even if I also use the desktop application. This is a "dilemma"that the developers have not thought of. It's a bit of criticism, but mostly embarrassment

ABNParatrooper

The app won't connect. The desktop or web connects fine. When trying to connect the app, it keeps unable to connect.

• Like 1

I know all that and I bought the app and I'm Premium too. And I don't understand the release of another app only few weeks after the release of the Emby UWP. The fact that are other dev change nothing for me, it's this competition that I don't understand.

I bought the application when it was the only on Windows 8, then to 8.1, then it comes into UWP few weeks ago and now I get an email informing me of the releaset of Emby Theater UWP and I do not understand why this development of concurrent applications. I like both, although for the moment, Emby UWP is more advanced (full screen, for example).

If I give up the app I would have the feeling of having bought something for "nothing" and even abandoning his creator. If I do not use Emby Theater UWP, I will say that part of my Premium subscription is not used, even if I also use the desktop application. This is a "dilemma"that the developers have not thought of. It's a bit of criticism, but mostly embarrassment

I don't see the dilemma or how you are confused after the detailed explanation. You have the choice to choose which ever app suits you best. Also you paid and used the app until now so you have both already supported the creator and got your $5 worth.

Something not mentioned already is that there have been 3rd party apps for both android and iOS in the past that were paid apps and abandoned by their respective developers and users then came to the emby team for support which they obviously could not do anything about. Now I'm not saying 7 will abandon his app but maybe you can see how the emby team would not like that situation from happening again as it will only damage the brand

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

"I don't see the dilemma or how you are confused after the detailed explanation. You have the choice to choose which ever app suits you best. Also you paid and used the app until now so you have both already supported the creator and got your $5 worth.
Something not mentioned already is that there have been 3rd party apps for both android and iOS in the past that were paid apps and abandoned by their respective developers and users then came to the emby team for support which they obviously could not do anything about. Now I'm not saying 7 will abandon his app but maybe you can see how the emby team would not like that situation from happening again as it will only damage the brand"

What a load of BS, the emby team does just fine damaging it's own brand by putting out such buggy releases and regurgitating the web app into in uwp, ios and any other thing.

Something you failed to mention whenever a third party develops anything better, they are suddenly forced out;.

Edited by Vicpa

ABNParatrooper

In an effort to cause you all to digress from the pointless argument, lol, any idea on the why the app won't connect when all the other options like desktop and web connect fine. I went ahead and removed the desktop one thinking it would help, it did not.

"

Something you failed to mention whenever a third party develops anything better, they are suddenly forced out;.

Ah yes sorry I forgot to mention that

Nobody has ever been forced anywhere. In order for Emby to compete and survive we have to have our own apps on all of the major platforms, and that is why we have the Theater UWP app.

FrostByte

Lol, yes, the ET app I downloaded from the store won't connect. It keeps saying unable to connect

57d7057f5bf07_ETAppnotconnecting.png

See what you did? Changed the subject to something pertinent and now everyone has vanished :)

Edit: the only thing I can suggest is the obvious :)

Edited by FrostByte

ABNParatrooper

Lol, forgive for trying to stop world war 3 up in here. Not even Donald Trump got this much debate going on, hahaha.

• Like 1

Hitsville

Sorry im still pretty new round here.

So are we saying that apart from the Emby Theatre app as in the .exe file...there are now two Emby apps in the Microsoft store? A long running user developed app and now more recently an official Emby app?

Have I got that right?

ABNParatrooper

OK, so, I have two servers, one with the default port, and one with a custom port. I have to since they are both on the same network, and if I have to connect remotely, they need to different ports. Anyway, I was able to connect to the other server using the default port. Thing is, I don't want to use that server, that is the one I have my friends and family connect to. I like the one just for me..that's the one with the good stiff wink wink lol.

FrostByte

Sorry im still pretty new round here.

So are we saying that apart from the Emby Theatre app as in the .exe file...there are now two Emby apps in the Microsoft store? A long running user developed app and now more recently an official Emby app?

Have I got that right?

Correct, basically. 

• Like 1