Emby Theater in Windows Store

icthusman1

icthusman1

I'm seeing this. Does that mean you will target Xbox One with it as well? This app seems designed for it.

icthusman1

Also, is this a Project Westminster app? Or is this an app someone actually coded for Windows?

This initial version does not because it was built against an earlier SDK. A newer version that supports Xbox One has been submitted and is currently going through the certification process.

icthusman1

Cool. Looking forward to trying it out. Playing with it here for a few minutes and it seems like there are some visual bugs. Specifically on the Plugins screen. You get a big green "+ Install Plugin" button in the upper right which is not clickable. At least, when you try and click it it turns gray and nothing happens.

Also, Share screen (at least when looking at Photos) seems to get cut off.

Also, sorry to ruin the surprise.  :D

Edited by icthusman1

Thanks. There are no plugins right now so I've stopped maintaining the plugins screen. We're just going to hide it for now. I am also just going to hide the entire app for now because we really did not expect it go get through the certification process this quickly. When the next build is out then we'll announce it.

This looks interesting. For a Windows 10 PC client, what would be the difference between using this or the Emby Theater software that I am currently using? Thanks.

icthusman1

Will this support DTS and HD audio formats without transcoding? On Win 10 devices and on Xbox One?

I doubt it. This doesn't seem to be an app so much as a webwrapper. But I could be wrong.

This looks interesting. For a Windows 10 PC client, what would be the difference between using this or the Emby Theater software that I am currently using? Thanks.

Looking at this version, and I have never actually used Emby Theater the software, this seems to be a web wrapper for app.emby.media. Or maybe tv.emby.media. You have to enter a pin to associate it with your account. If you try out one of those sites right now and see what you think of it, that will show you the difference. Maybe someone who has used the software and the web sites can provide more information on the distinction between the two.

If you're already using the desktop app then you should probably stay where you are. The UWP app is for those who want one app for any device, and don't mind some occasional transcoding.

I doubt it. This doesn't seem to be an app so much as a webwrapper. But I could be wrong.

This isn't true, so let's try to avoid spreading mis-information. I have not added dts yet because i need to do more testing, but it can support anything the UWP platform allows.

icthusman1

This isn't true, so let's try to avoid spreading mis-information. I have not added dts yet because i need to do more testing, but it can support anything the UWP platform allows.

My apologies @@Luke. I will go sit in my corner with my dunce hat on now.

Deathsquirrel

Note that does not currently include the HD audio formats someone asked about earlier.  It' really the primary tradeoff to this platform.  I'll get an xbox client but audio will transcode.

icthusman1

Hmm. Just installed. Took 3 tries before the app would let me go "Next" to get the PIN code. As in, I had to kill the app multiple times. Finally got in and thought "great!" then realized a couple of things.

1. Can you switch users without having to reauthenticate? My son has an Xbox profile and an account on my Emby server. He does not have an Emby connect account. Will he be able to use this?

2. Went into a Movie screen. Clicked the ellipsis button. There was no way to get out of the menu that popped up without selecting an option. I didn't want to select any of the options. Shut down the app.

Right now I am still waiting for the UWP app from @@7illusions as I think it might be better (in the long run) once more of it's features are in place. This is a decent stop-gap solution though. Who knows, maybe this will actually wind up being the better option. I will continue playing with both.

There have been some defects resolved today relating to key input to please try again.

The user authentication model is consistent with all other Emby apps. If you want to be able to switch quickly between users, then you probably want to skip Emby Connect and just connect to your server directly, because it will be faster to switch profiles that way. That goes for all Emby apps, not just this one.

• Like 1

icthusman1

There have been some defects resolved today relating to key input to please try again.

The user authentication model is consistent with all other Emby apps. If you want to be able to switch quickly between users, then you probably want to skip Emby Connect and just connect to your server directly, because it will be faster to switch profiles that way. That goes for all Emby apps, not just this one.

I just installed the app 10 minutes ago. Is this an update released to the store to fix this?

I probably should skip Emby Connect then. I didn't notice a way to do so, but I probably didn't look hard enough. Thanks @@Luke

Yes it is updated. On the Emby Connect screen there is a button called "Skip (connect to server manually)".  Try again and if you have trouble locating it, please let us know. Thanks.

icthusman1

Yes it is updated. On the Emby Connect screen there is a button called "Skip (connect to server manually)".  Try again and if you have trouble locating it, please let us know. Thanks.

Will do. Thank you sir!

SikSlayer

The Xbox One app is working swimmingly, even faster than from my Core i7! The only issue I have is the Xbox Media Remote doesn't work, but I assume this is known.

Even an mkv with HEVC video started right up!

Scott310

The Xbox One app is working swimmingly, even faster than from my Core i7! The only issue I have is the Xbox Media Remote doesn't work, but I assume this is known.

Even an mkv with HEVC video started right up!

As long as the remote sends the command for either the toggle or the d-pad the remote should work.  I think by default the xbox media remote sends the stick navigation control and it should work if it is controlling other parts of your xbox one.  I have a logtiech harmony one that works just fine.

Does this version require Emby Premiere?

Hi, yes it does. We are working tirelessly on the app making it as great as we can, and we thank you for your support.

The latest updates add new ways to personalize your TV guide. Just click the view icon right on the guide screen. The settings will apply for your Emby user to all platforms that Emby Theater runs on, as well as android, iOS, and the built-in web app. 

In general you'll soon start to notice more of the in-app settings being carried with you from one app to the next, which I think you guys will like.

• Like 2