Audio/Video Sync Problems

Dex150489

Dex150489

Evening all,

I'm having audio sync problems when playing through ET's internal player (v2.5.16). 

I have 2 groups of media;
Movies (MKVs from bluray rips)

TV (MP4s from bluray/dvd rips)

So far all movies have played perfectly. However every time i try to watch one of my TV shows I get 1 of a few different audio sync problems. For example;

1. when playing a Big Bang ep (mp4 from bluray) the audio either starts off perfectly or ever so slightly out but by the time the episode has finished the audio is completely out of sync. (I also had a video issue where movement was ghosting on screen but that seems to have gone after playing with the settings)

2. when playing a futurama ep (mp4 from dvd) the video instantly starts twice the speed to of the audio and continues throughout.

If i play these through the web browser there is no problem.

I have tried playing with all the ET audio and video settings but nothing seems to solve the problem.

Currently running windows 7, my Media Centre is connected to my Onkyo AV reciever  via hdmi and then to the tv. I know there are settings within the AV that can help with audio/video sync but seeing as the problem isn't consistent throughout all my media i can only leave these settings as they are. 

Before i go through and rebuild the whole PC from scratch can anyone shed some light if they have been able to fix this problem. Seems to be mp4 specific.

Thanks

Chris

Before i go through and rebuild the whole PC from scratch can anyone shed some light if they have been able to fix this problem. Seems to be mp4 specific.

blade005

Dex,

I was seeing the audio sync issue with Emby Theater, but only with Recorded TV media from my HD Homerun Connect. The media would play fine thru Web Client, Android app, Emby WMC and outside Emby with Media Player Classic. Emby Theater was the only issue. I know you said you went thru all audio and video settings in Emby Theater, so this may be mute, but I finally got it corrected by adjusting my Video Renderer setting in Emby Theater from AUTO to EVR. Audio Renderer was left at AUTO. This worked for my issue and configuration.

blade005

Thanks, i'll give it a go. it might be 1 combo i missed...

Dex,

I hear you. I started making all kinds of changes in Audio settings and then Video Settings with no luck, and then finally calmed down, set everything back to AUTO for Audio and Video as it was when I started and then found that changing Video Renderer from AUTO to EVR worked for my issue.

Edited by blade005

Guest asrequested

My config is HDMI bitstream, MadVR, WASAPI, Edge. No issues. If you can't get it to work, can you post screenshots of your config and Emby metadata for the files.

Dex150489

Sorry for the late reply did some testing, currently my settings are;

HDMI, WASAPI, EVR, Stable, MADVR = None

Hardware Acceleration  = auto

The sync is a lot better, its now only ever so slightly out (or i could just been being really picky) with tv. 

Guest asrequested

Sorry for the late reply did some testing, currently my settings are;

HDMI, WASAPI, EVR, Stable, MADVR = None

Hardware Acceleration  = auto

The sync is a lot better, its now only ever so slightly out (or i could just been being really picky) with tv. 

Have you tried my configuration?

57cb04a163f89_Snapshot_238.jpg

57cb04b7cb299_Snapshot_239.jpg

Edited by Doofus

Dex150489

Doofus, i tried your settings, made the sync worse for my setup. Although if i just change the filter setting from stable to edge i think it gets better. I feel like the more i stare at it the more i see/don't see. i'll need the watch a movie and a few tv episodes to test for consistency throughout playback.

i'll post back ASAP.

Thanks for all the help so far! 

Guest asrequested

I'm now thinking that there may be something occurring with how your MP4 containers are being split. Find one that doesn't play correctly, run it through mkvtoolnix and test again.

• 1 year later...
Dex150489

Evening guys, so here we are again. Having the same sync issue. I've played the same mp4 on the xbox one (latest) and pc (version 2.8.3) apps and there are varying degrees of audio sync problems. The android app on my phone and the web browser play perfectly from what i can see.

I've attached screen shots of all the details of the particular episode in question. Is there any other deails i can give you?

Thanks

post-56536-0-88434900-1505333483_thumb.png

post-56536-0-58731300-1505333493_thumb.png

post-56536-0-00764400-1505333502_thumb.png

post-56536-0-21508500-1505333512_thumb.png

Guest asrequested

Evening guys, so here we are again. Having the same sync issue. I've played the same mp4 on the xbox one (latest) and pc (version 2.8.3) apps and there are varying degrees of audio sync problems. The android app on my phone and the web browser play perfectly from what i can see.

I've attached screen shots of all the details of the particular episode in question. Is there any other deails i can give you?

Thanks

When you play on Xbox, does it direct play? And mpv as just been updated in Theater. Try that and see if there's any improvement. 

Dex150489

On xbox it is playing direct (see attachment). At the moment its playing ok on the xbox.

Since the last few updates have heavyily changed the settings menu is there a guide of some kind to explain some of the advanced settings?

Also the madvr video player settings..what is the minimum specs for running this before its pointless switching it on?

post-56536-0-32033600-1505500678_thumb.jpg

Guest asrequested

In your picture, the audio is being transcoded, so that may have been the issue.

In Theater I don't use MadVR. Unless you're very particular about picture quality, I'd suggest sticking with mpv. Do you have a sync issue with mpv?

nvader2000

Cannot go over 30Mbps. I set it to Auto it assumes 60Mbps and skips a lot. I have very high equipment and plenty of horsepower to handle this type of through put. I noticed an FFMpeg option but not sure if that will and even how to install it on my DS3516sx (Synology).

Please advise,

Niles

Are you using this from a remote location? because if you are in-network, then you should leave the bitrate setting on Auto.

Dex150489

In your picture, the audio is being transcoded, so that may have been the issue.

In Theater I don't use MadVR. Unless you're very particular about picture quality, I'd suggest sticking with mpv. Do you have a sync issue with mpv?

Well I'd like the picture quality to be as good as it can get (not ripping HD content for nothing) but atm i'd be happy just to get everything sync properly so i can actually watch something and then add the bells and whistles later on once i fully understand what all the settings mean and what they do.

Now this is probably a very stupid question but can you confirm... what is mpv and i'll test it?

Thanks

Guest asrequested

MPV is the main player that Theater, uses. It uses Ffmpeg. The other player is LAV with MadVR. They directshow players. So they are completely separate. A lot of people want to use MadVR to improve picture quality. MPV is a good player that also has many possibilities.

https://mpv.io

You should answer Luke's question, too.

Dex150489

I'll have a play with mpv and get back to you. I thought Luke's answer was for nvader2000"s question. But if i misread that then my answer is no im running emby theatre and server on the same dedicated machine and its all locaĺ. Xbox is playing over a wired connection over the network.