Playing MKV's with FireTV

jkasanic
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

jkasanic

Ok, so I'm relatively new to the Amazon FireTV but from everything I've read, it can't playback mkv files without transcoding.  Currently, I have the Emby app from Amazon (free version) as well as Kodi with the Emby Addon loaded on my FireTV.  I can't seem to get either to play my network stored mkv files (mostly 1:1 rips of BR's stored on an UnRAID server running the Emby Docker).  The standalone Emby app shows my library but says I need to contribute when I try to play a file.  I can't seem to figure out how I would tell it that I have (even if I did, since there's no paid app in the Amazon App store)?

As far as Kodi using the Emby Addon, my library is updating perfectly but I can't get anything to play.  Troubleshooting Kodi settings (e.g. downres audio, transcoding etc.) but I'm still in the process of figuring out how to check the Kodi log.  It doesn't look complicated but I need to be home with the device.

Just looking to get a head start on troubleshooting.  Thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome. Playback of Emby for Amazon Fire TV requires in an-app purchase, or an active Emby Premiere subscription. If you already have one of these then it will just detect that automatically, so there wouldn't be anything you'd have to tell it in order to do that. Does that answer your question on that?

jkasanic

Hi, welcome. Playback of Emby for Amazon Fire TV requires in an-app purchase, or an active Emby Premiere subscription. If you already have one of these then it will just detect that automatically, so there wouldn't be anything you'd have to tell it in order to do that. Does that answer your question on that?

Yes, thanks.  I just noticed on the Amazon App store that it says the app has "in app purchases".  I'll try to figure that out later but I was really hoping to get Kodi playback working.

• Solution

If you look at the "Settings" row on the app home page, is there not an "Unlock" button?

• Like 1

jkasanic

If you look at the "Settings" row on the app home page, is there not an "Unlock" button?

Yeah, I can't check right now but that makes sense on how I would unlock the app.

I'm more interested now in how I get the Emby Addon for Kodi working with mkv playback from within Kodi?  Is there also something to unlocking this addon?