so...do I NEED to set up a server? how does this work...??

VabaX

why cant I just run a simple client to access the stuff I have stored on the one machine like the old version of MB? does this mean that if my computers wifi connection drops out, the client cant access the server thats running on the same machine? does it also mean that I would have to buy a new/better wifi modem too, as streaming 11MB/S movies over wifi (back to the same damn computer it started from) will completely clog up my network? 

if this is not the case, and I can somehow set the client up to access the server on the same machine without having to trample all over my network, then where do I find information or tutorials telling me how to do so?

Vidman

Use address 127.0.0.1 (the standard localhost address) in the client if the server is on the same machine then it will not "trample" your network

Edited by Vidman

Koleckai Silvestri

Install MediaBrowser Server on your machine.

install MediaBrowser Classic on your machine.

The server is where you set up your collection. It runs in the background and collects metadata for you. It handles user profiles and maintains watch states, among other things, for them. Where the server comes in handy are mobile devices and set top boxes like the Roku. They can access the server with specialized apps. The server will take those 11Mb/s movies and transcode them into something that the Roku, tablets and phones can handle better. Or in the future, if you get another HTPC, just point it at the server and you're all ready to go.

MediaBrowser Classic accesses your collection and plays things directly if it can. If it can't play something for some reason, the server tries to get the content into a playable format. Since both are on the same machine, it won't even use your network. The OS would handle that.

• Like 2

Beardyname

A better question would be, if you don't like how the layout of mb3 is done (server/client) setup why do you bother ?

This may seem a bit harsh but if the laptop you spoke about is the only place where you want to watch media (no browser, phone etc) maybe there are other projects more suited to you :)

Use address 127.0.0.1 (the standard localhost address) in the client if the server is on the same machine then it will not "trample" your network

This is a good piece of information.

This should be in a "how to" somewhere. I had no idea about this!

Koleckai Silvestri

Most of the documentation refers to localhost as the address. Localhost is the human name for 127.0.0.1.

Only if you used your external IP address ( the one you see when you go to www.whatismyip.com) would you "trample" your network when connecting to yourself.

A better question would be, if you don't like how the layout of mb3 is done (server/client) setup why do you bother ?

This may seem a bit harsh but if the laptop you spoke about is the only place where you want to watch media (no browser, phone etc) maybe there are other projects more suited to you :)

its a desktop, hooked up to my TV in my bedroom. no LAN access, so I have to run it off wifi. I would like to be able to access all my content from my android tablet though, so that's why i'd still like to set up the server, but I was just wondering why the client doesnt simply have the ability to run stand-alone without needing the server to achieve basic functionality. I would have thought that it would make more sense to have a client that works much the same way as the previous versions and have the server as an optional thing for people who want to set up a server, so that's why I was asking, because I couldnt tell whether this was the case or not, even after looking around the forums for 45mins, without finding an answer

thanks everyone, for you help though. you've cleared it all up for me. I dont really know much about how all this server/networky stuff works, so thanks

Edited by VabaX

Hey VabaX, Glad you're taking the plunge into MB3, I'm sure you'll appreciate all the features once you get more comfortable with it.

Maybe you could help contribute by reading http://mediabrowser.tv/about/ from the top of the page down the the end of the "Server" section, then let us know if there was anything there that wasn't clear or could be improved upon.

Thanks!

• Like 1

techywarrior

its a desktop, hooked up to my TV in my bedroom. no LAN access, so I have to run it off wifi. I would like to be able to access all my content from my android tablet though, so that's why i'd still like to set up the server, but I was just wondering why the client doesnt simply have the ability to run stand-alone without needing the server to achieve basic functionality. I would have thought that it would make more sense to have a client that works much the same way as the previous versions and have the server as an optional thing for people who want to set up a server, so that's why I was asking, because I couldnt tell whether this was the case or not, even after looking around the forums for 45mins, without finding an answer

thanks everyone, for you help though. you've cleared it all up for me. I dont really know much about how all this server/networky stuff works, so thanks

The server and client can be on the same machine. With the two components you have the flexibility to either have the server being independent or have a setup closer to how MB2 worked. The big difference is that MB3 isn't locked into working that way. Once you have MB3 setup and working the way you want you can expand your usage by using the web client from a laptop, or maybe from a tablet, or possibly even stream to a Roku you decide to buy and connect to another TV... All these things become possible and you don't even have to change your setup.

Beardyname

aah in that case mb3 would fit you perfectly :)

Why the client needs access to the server is so both programs would not need to gather their own info, and instead the server handles everything! this way whatever asks for information the server has it all in check and replies accordingly.

If you need any more help just let us know :)

Hey VabaX, Glad you're taking the plunge into MB3, I'm sure you'll appreciate all the features once you get more comfortable with it.

Maybe you could help contribute by reading http://mediabrowser.tv/about/ from the top of the page down the the end of the "Server" section, then let us know if there was anything there that wasn't clear or could be improved upon.

Thanks!

Yes, we try to explain it there on the main web site and also in the FAQ section of the Knowledge Base forum out here: What is MB and what do I need?

I just changed the value for MB Server IP address to 127.0.0.1 in MBT on my main HTPC, since this is the system running the server as well. Is this really the ideal setup for a system running the server and a client? ie. will this benefit me in any way different than having 192.168.1.38 or whatever was in there before? I was surprised to not see "localhost" as the value in that field.

Koleckai Silvestri

Two issues with using 192.168.1.38...

1) If you use 192.168.1.38, then the traffic is sent to the router and then back to your machine. This creates network traffic. If you're on older WiFi or 100 Mbps ethernet, this may cause congestion. You're less likely to see congestion at Gigabit or 802.1N/AC speeds.

2) Unless you specified as static IP on this machine, the above IP address can change. If there is a power outage, all devices are likely to receive slightly different IP addresses. 

With 127.0.0.1, you bypass both of these issues. If you're going to add additional devices connecting to the server in the future, you'll probably want to set up a static IP address for the server. This not only makes it easier to remember for setting up devices but it prevents it from changing in the future. For instance my server is 192.168.0.3. Router is 192.168.0.1, Office printer is IP 192.168.0.2. The other 20 or so devices on the network all have DHCP assigned IP addresses above 50.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 1