DLNA ports

peapa

Hello,

I'm trying to run Emby server behind a firewall. I've already opened port 8096 for the web UI and 1900 for SSDP. Now Emby finds my DLNA-enabled devices. But my Xbox 360 displays a black screen when attempting to play back a video through DLNA with the firewall enabled. If I disable the firewall on the server, playback is fine. I want to keep the firewall enabled on this server.

I could not find the ports used by Emby for DLNA, does someone know ?

Thanks

Edited by peapa

They are the same ports. You're saying you can play video on Xbox 360 using Dlna with Emby?

Yes DLNA works on Xbox 360 when I disable the firewall completely. I have to launch playback from Emby's UI though because the Xbox doesn't list Emby in the server list.

I don't understand what you mean by saying they are the same ports. It seems some more ports need to be opened because it only works with the firewall disabled.

I noticed active connections on the server with ports over 54700 when playback is in progress. Those port number do not seem consistent. Maybe the port selection is dynamic, in which case knowing the port range would be perfect.

anderbytes

Yes DLNA works on Xbox 360 when I disable the firewall completely. I have to launch playback from Emby's UI though because the Xbox doesn't list Emby in the server list.

I don't understand what you mean by saying they are the same ports. It seems some more ports need to be opened because it only works with the firewall disabled.

I noticed active connections on the server with ports over 54700 when playback is in progress. Those port number do not seem consistent. Maybe the port selection is dynamic, in which case knowing the port range would be perfect.

Does your firewall logs everything that is blocked?? Because if so... that can be REALLY helpful on what's happening

anderbytes

Luke, I do know there's something strange about DLNA ports. I know that because when I try to use Emby in Docker with bridge configuration, I have to tell which ports will pass.

Telling all ports needed in documentation... DLNA doesn't show up.

If I change network mode to Host in Docker container (that allows all ports), DLNA shows OK

So I'll wait @@peapa firewall block logs and try to debug something

Edited by anderbytes

Well after some more testing it does work without opening any more ports.

My issue with black screen appears to be caused by the Xbox 360 that fails to play back reencoded streams. Reencoded streams work fine with another DLNA player.

As anderbytes suggested I had a look at the firewall logs and could not see anything wrong except a connection attempt on port 1901 UDP. Though playback is fine whether this port is open or not.

In the end, to get DLNA working, port 1900 only needs to be allowed. And maybe 1901 if playback fails. Thanks everyone for the help !

Yea definitely 1900 and 1901 will be needed, sorry, forgot about those earlier. Thanks for the investigation!

anderbytes

Will be testing again with bridged container and that new port.

It confirmed, Luke I'll ask you to update emby documentation and exposed ports in dockerfile

anderbytes

if i recall they already handled dlna with docker

But Dlna only works today with host network, instead of bridge network, that is much safer.

If by opening 1901 DLNA finally works in both, we will know what to do, easily

• 2 months later...
anderbytes

I've passed the info along to the right people. Thanks.

Sorry, had forgot about this topic, because I was using HOST network.

opening 1901 in bridge didn't help.

Any news on that issue, devs?

anderbytes

Just 1900 and 1901 should be OK.

They are opened and it's not working.

I had the DLNA opened in my laptop's VLC (while in HOST network in Docker), then without closing VLC I stopped then one with Host and started the other with Bridge. After that... I still could browse in the VLC tree in DLNA, even play one media.

So the issue is only in the discovery of the server, I guess.

Maybe something related to SSDP or UPnP ?

The HOST network is much more permissive... gives direct access to host network card, so I'd like to avoid this.

Happy2Play

Weird how the server can see the Xbox 360 as active device an has Play To option but Xbox can not see DLNA server.  When you attempt to cast something to the Xbox 360 you get a black screen then your see White Texted displayed of the Movie you sent but nothing else happens.

Weird how the server can see the Xbox 360 as active device an has Play To option but Xbox can not see DLNA server.  When you attempt to cast something to the Xbox 360 you get a black screen then your see White Texted displayed of the Movie you sent but nothing else happens.

Xbox 360 seeing the Emby dlna server is a completely different topic. The xbox 360 implementation is unfortunately proprietary with some very specific requirements and so far we just haven't solved them.

Having said that I do see some errors in this log that can be resolved. Perhaps that'll make a difference.

Actually @@Happy2Play the fix is already in beta 209 so if you could try again and provide another log that would be helpful.t hanks.

anderbytes

Has any of you reproduced a dlna test scenario with docker and bridge networking?

Log after updating to .209.  Same results.

Well the errors in the log are at least gone, so that just brings us back to where we were before.

• 2 years later...
Loki93

Is there any info which port-range is used for DLNA/UPNP?

Syslog shows various ports blocked by ufw, they are just very few between 37668 and 55280 (all udp). I collected some from syslogs, but that's a pretty nasty task.

Loki93

I have 1900 and 1901 opend, but problem is that DLNA wants to use ports like 37668 and many above, always choosen randomly.

• 4 years later...
josejavier_cu
It lets me access Emby via DLNA from LG WebOS TV, but when I activate the firewall the server does not appear. I even opened all the UDP ports and it still doesn't appear.

By deactivating the firewall it does allow me access.

Any new information about it?

1 minute ago, josejavier_cu said:
It lets me access Emby via DLNA from LG WebOS TV, but when I activate the firewall the server does not appear. I even opened all the UDP ports and it still doesn't appear.

By deactivating the firewall it does allow me access.

Any new information about it?

Hi, what firewall, windows? If you want to keep it up then you'll need to configure it. Have you checked it for any rules blocking emby server?