New Plugin: TV Maze Metadata Provider

softworkz

Hi,

this is a new metadata provider plugin for Emby, supporting TV Series, Seasons and Episodes as well as Season-Images.

The data is retrieved from http://www.tvmaze.com/

The plugin should operate pretty stable, I've been running the code for a few months now without problems.

But what's the benefit, now?

Well, you got to make your own decision about how useful that additional data could be for you!

Metadata handling in Emby is not a very transparent process. To compare the different metadata retrieved by the installed providers, it's probably best to use the Metadata Viewer Plugin (http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/32984-new-plugin-metadata-viewer/).

After installing, you need to check your metadata settings for Series, Seasons and Episodes. You should choose the priorities based on your experience from comparing metadata results as described in the previous paragraph.

If you're already satisfied with your current metadata retrieval or just don't want to make a significant change at this time, I recommend the following:

• Disable TV Maze for Series and Episodes (Emby already comes with 3 built-in providers for those)
  • But enable TV Maze for Seasons (and Season images): The reason: Currently, there's only one provider for Season data and there are many cases where TV Maze has some season descriptions when the other (MovieDb) doesn't

Download: https://github.com/softworkz/Emby.Plugins/releases/tag/TvMazeBeta1

• Like 5

mgworek

I like that  http://www.tvmaze.com/ has all the hallmark mystery series that no one else has like Murder she Baked. I have been having to manually edit like 4 or 5 different series. I have worked hard on my metadata so I won't be jumping in first but I will keep my eye on it.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been trying this plugin. It's just filling my logs with the following however

2016-09-20 11:04:21.7448 Error App: Error in TvMazeSeasonProvider.HasChanged
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.1.81.0
    Command line: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe -service
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    Processor count: 2
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    Program data path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
    Application Path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Unable to cast object of type 'MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.TV.Season' to type 'MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.TV.Episode'.
    System.InvalidCastException
     at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvMaze.TvMazeSeasonProvider.HasChanged(IHasMetadata item, IDirectoryService directoryService)
     at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.HasChanged(IHasMetadata item, IHasItemChangeMonitor changeMonitor, IDirectoryService directoryService)

@@Griffo Are you aware you are on a rather old beta version (3.1.81.0)?  Current version is 3.1.159.0.

Thanks I installed from the "plugins" section in the console so assumed it would be the latest. I've updated and all seems to work.

Cheers!

Thanks I installed from the "plugins" section in the console so assumed it would be the latest. I've updated and all seems to work.

Cheers!

He meant the version of the server. Are you still on 3.1.81?

PenkethBoy

Hi

As of tonights server update getting a few errors re the tvmaze plugin in the server logs

2016-09-24 21:19:31.2651 Error App: Error in TvMazeSeasonProvider.HasChanged
*** Error Report ***
Version: 3.1.6111.23367
Command line: C:\Users\TimSkull\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Processor count: 8
Program data path: C:\Users\TimSkull\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
Application Path: C:\Users\TimSkull\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Unable to cast object of type 'MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.TV.Season' to type 'MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.TV.Episode'.
System.InvalidCastException
  at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvMaze.TvMazeSeasonProvider.HasChanged(IHasMetadata item, IDirectoryService directoryService)
  at MediaBrowser.Providers.Manager.MetadataService`2.HasChanged(IHasMetadata item, IHasItemChangeMonitor changeMonitor, IDirectoryService directoryService)

2016-09-24 21:19:32.6178 Error App: Error in TvMazeEpisodeProvider.HasChanged
*** Error Report ***
Version: 3.1.6111.23367
Command line: C:\Users\TimSkull\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Processor count: 8
Program data path: C:\Users\TimSkull\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
Application Path: C:\Users\TimSkull\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path1
System.ArgumentNullException
  at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
  at MediaBrowser.Providers.TV.TvMaze.TvMazeEpisodeProvider.HasChanged(IHasMetadata item, IDirectoryService directoryService)

couple of different errors - although they may be related

The first error should be fixed. I sent you an updated version via PM, could you please try it?

For the second issue: Did you configure some specific cache path in Emby settings?

PenkethBoy

My cache is standard i believe  C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\cache

i do have a non standard metadata path on my D: drive

Have down loaded and rebooted

PenkethBoy

Just testing the new update and no errors - emby is working through a full "TV" library refresh - with no errors

All good so far

Thanks again

PenkethBoy

Hi 

Have a minor error in NFO files

I have three tvmaze entries - one at the top and two together at the bottom

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<tvshow>
  <plot>Babylon 5 is a five-mile long space station located in neutral space. Built by the Earth Alliance in the 2250s, it's goal is to maintain peace among the various alien races by providing a sanctuary where grievances and negotiations can be worked out among duly appointed ambassadors. A council made up of representatives from the five major space-faring civilizations - the Earth Alliance, Minbari Federation, Centauri Republic, Narn Regime, and Vorlon Empire - work with the League of Non-Aligned Worlds to keep interstellar relations under control. Aside from its diplomatic function, Babylon 5 also serves as a military post for Earth and a port of call for travelers, traders, businessmen, criminals, and Rangers.</plot>
  <outline>Babylon 5 is a five-mile long space station located in neutral space. Built by the Earth Alliance in the 2250s, it's goal is to maintain peace among the various alien races by providing a sanctuary where grievances and negotiations can be worked out among duly appointed ambassadors. A council made up of representatives from the five major space-faring civilizations - the Earth Alliance, Minbari Federation, Centauri Republic, Narn Regime, and Vorlon Empire - work with the League of Non-Aligned Worlds to keep interstellar relations under control. Aside from its diplomatic function, Babylon 5 also serves as a military post for Earth and a port of call for travelers, traders, businessmen, criminals, and Rangers.</outline>
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2016-07-22 11:35:49</dateadded>
  <title>Babylon 5</title>
  <trailer> <--removed
  <rating>9.2</rating>
  <year>1993</year>
  <mpaa>TV-PG</mpaa>
  <imdb_id>tt0105946</imdb_id>
  <tmdbid>3137</tmdbid>
  <premiered>1993-02-22</premiered>
  <releasedate>1993-02-22</releasedate>
  <enddate>1998-11-25</enddate>
  <votes>170</votes>
  <runtime>60</runtime>
  <genre>Science-Fiction</genre>
  <studio>US Studios</studio>
  <zap2itid>SH094234</zap2itid>
  <tvrageid>2693</tvrageid>
  <tvdbid>70726</tvdbid>
  <tvmazeid>475</tvmazeid>

and at the end

<thumb>D:\Emby Metadata\metadata\People\J\Joshua Cox\poster.jpg</thumb>
  </actor>
  <id>70726</id>
  <episodeguide>
  </episodeguide>
  <season>-1</season>
  <episode>-1</episode>
  <status>Ended</status>
  <airs_time>7:00 PM</airs_time>
  <airs_dayofweek>Monday</airs_dayofweek>
  <tvmazeid>475</tvmazeid>
  <tvmazeid>475</tvmazeid>
</tvshow>

Not sure if this is the result of the testing we did a couple of days ago - so specific to me or not?

Ok have deleted the nfo file and recreated it and only have two entries now one at top the other at the bottom - is the second one necessary?

Thanks Again

• 5 months later...

Season Titles being replaced by this plugin. On this page that title appears to come from Season Info

http://www.tvmaze.com/seasons/7515/survivor-season-31

@@softworkz @@Luke either no one has noticed or most people dont care but this plugin is messing with my season titles and I don't ever want my season titles touched. For example instead of Season 31 this reads survivor: cambodia - second chance in Emby along with other Seasons that have been messed with title wise in metadata.

So just looking for a behavior change here to ignore Season Info / replacing of titles on Seasons. Love the extra info this plugin provides everywhere else and nice to have a backup metadata provider for TV content.

Thanks

A couple approaches are the plugin could add a setting about whether or not to pull season titles from tv maze. Or in lieu of the setting, the plugin could just not pull them at all.

Softworkz is still maintaining this but he's also helping us in other areas. Is there a community member who might like to help with this? The source code can be found here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Plugins/tree/master/MediaBrowser.Plugins.TvMazeProvider

Thanks !

Happy2Play

Season Titles being replaced by this plugin. On this page that title appears to come from Season Info

http://www.tvmaze.com/seasons/7515/survivor-season-31

@@softworkz @@Luke either no one has noticed or most people dont care but this plugin is messing with my season titles and I don't ever want my season titles touched. For example instead of Season 31 this reads survivor: cambodia - second chance in Emby along with other Seasons that have been messed with title wise in metadata.

So just looking for a behavior change here to ignore Season Info / replacing of titles on Seasons. Love the extra info this plugin provides everywhere else and nice to have a backup metadata provider for TV content.

Thanks

You sure it is not coming from TMDB?

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Confirmed it is TMDB since my test server does not have this plugin.

58c5af9664f1f_test.jpg

Didnt suspect TMDB as I had no TMDB season id for where I noticed, so I guess overall I would hope there would be away to ignore season title metadata changes regardless of where they come from.