Android Streaming Issue

bieltan

Greetings Community, 

I've been searching for a while now and not sure whats going on. 

I have a server setup on my Windows 7 machine and it streams fine to all of the following devices: Laptop, Samsung Nexus

However it does not stream at all to my Rikomagic 802 IIIS. It opens up fine, "loads" the video's fine but will just sit with a black screen once you press play. It displays the movie controls and the movie poster in the corner. 

The Riko has Android 4.2.2 and the MediaBrowser is the most recent build provided by GoogleApps.

This was streaming fine when I first purchased the Riko, however terribly due to bad wireless signal. So I purchased a lan adapter to get a better connection to the Riko. I also changed the MediaBrowser running ports on the server for security reasons. I tested on both my phone and laptop after I opened the ports on my firewall and it streams fine, but the Riko just gets stuck at 00:00. 

No updates were done to the MediaBrowser or android  between it "working" and now. 

The Riko plays Netflix fine and Speedtest results: D 1.08 Mbps/ U 0.64 Mbps (not great but enough to stream).

I've tested multiple shows/movies on both the Riko and my laptop, same results (Riko fails, laptop streams fine). 

Thoughts?

Redshirt

In the Android client, try going into the settings and disable "HLS support". See if that helps.

Redshirt

I know. The android ecosystem is just too big to add per-device excludes too. What I really need to do is detect a failed hls playback in code and fall back to non-hls .ts or even .webm. It's unfortunate that hls works on every device I own.

Turns out HLS Support was already disabled. So I re-enabled it, this allowed for the streaming to start up. However, it was still loading every 10 seconds or so. This leads me to believe it may have to do with the Riko since I streamed fine to my laptop, unless you have any other suggestions?

Redshirt

If it plays with hls enabled, which is the preferred setting, but is buffering then I'd look at your bitrate values. They are likely too high for the given connection. Either that of the server can't transcode the media fast enough.

Editing bitrate values can be done within a media decoder such as FFDshow correct? (correct me if I'm wrong - very new to this and learning). However, if I were to lower the bitrate of streaming files, wouldn't that downgrade the bitrate to every device that streams media through my server? 

BATTLE DONKEY

Editing bitrate values can be done within a media decoder such as FFDshow correct? (correct me if I'm wrong - very new to this and learning). However, if I were to lower the bitrate of streaming files, wouldn't that downgrade the bitrate to every device that streams media through my server?

I believe u can lower the bit rate for just the android app in the MBAndroid settings, where u found the hls toggle switch

Redshirt

You can do that, but as you say it permanently alters the media bitrate and quality. When I say look at the bitrate values though, I'm referring to inside the android client. Just lowering them to something that doesn't stutter. They may be set to higher than your connection can provide. I'd also look at the server ffmpeg logs stored in the servers logs folder and make sure the fps= values in the transcode aren't lower than the source framerate. If the server isn't sending the media fast enough the client will have no choice but to pause and buffer.

You can do that, but as you say it permanently alters the media bitrate and quality. When I say look at the bitrate values though, I'm referring to inside the android client. Just lowering them to something that doesn't stutter. They may be set to higher than your connection can provide. I'd also look at the server ffmpeg logs stored in the servers logs folder and make sure the fps= values in the transcode aren't lower than the source framerate. If the server isn't sending the media fast enough the client will have no choice but to pause and buffer.

Excellent. I'll give this a shot. (again thanks so much for the assistance). 

:D It worked! Thanks again!