Emby for Kodi not playing file directly from smb share

weedos123
Go to solution Solved by weedos123,

weedos123

Ok this has been driving me mad for days.  I'm sure it must be something I am doing.

Emby server located on an ubuntu box.  Kodi running on mac mini.  Files sitting on a NAS (192.168.1.x).   The NAS is auto mounted on the Emby server as "/home/server/nas" (where "server" is the username). Emby for Kodi loads when Kodi is started on the mac mini and all the files show up in Kodi.  So Kodi must be able to read the files on the NAS. Path substitution is enabled in Emby server. "/home/server/nas/" is mapped to "smb://192.168.1.x/Data/" (where "Data" is the share name and the letter capitalisation is correct.)  In the settings, "native path" is selected and "use http rather than smb" is not selected.  The Mac Mini can see the NAS using "smb://192.168.1.x/Data/".

But when i try to play a file I just get a message saying its not available and do I want to remove it?

Can anybody help?  The log file is attached.

Many thanks  Paul

kodi.log

horstepipe

Same problem here on a MacBook Air. I'm getting pretty sure that this problem is caused by OSX because they changed something regarding smb support.

I'm just using Addon mode which works fine.

Angelblue05

The files showing in Kodi is not an indication of Kodi being able to see the files. The add-on populates the Kodi database with Emby info. Using native playback mode - the play from http settings has no effect on it, since the add-on is not in control of playback. As we refine the add-on more and more, settings will be properly hidden :).

Can you try navigating to your content via smb, going to Kodi settings > add-ons > install from zip

What do you see? Let me know.

Edited by Angelblue05

Alpheratz13

Hello,

I have me too problem with Direct Play smb://

It's works great all the time but last fews weeks i have problem with Direct play.

I found out and perhaps tt's can help you (for DEV).

I have put the old Kodi-Emby addon in the kodi/addons (plugin.video.emby, plugin.video.emby.movies, plugin.video.emby.musicvideos, plugin.video.emby.tvshows, repository.beta.emby.kodi and repository.emby.kodi) and Kodi/user_data.(plugin.video.emby)

The old version is Emby 2.1.0 and it's works great, but if i update the emby addon to version (last one) 2.1.9 than the problem is back.

So i think it's more the problem with kodi emby addon.

Anyway it's work like before and i desactive update auto.

So i hope that i have helping you (for DEV) and others peoples like me.

Best regards,

Irving

PS

Sorry about my bad english and hope that you have me understand it.

Edited by Alpheratz13

Angelblue05

The thing is, nothing changed in that area of the code between 2.2.10 and 2.2.19... Playback remains the exact same for Native playback mode which is: the add-on has no control over playback. ;)

You can direct play using Native playback mode OR Add-on playback mode. So which one were you using @@Alpheratz13? If you use 2.2.19 and enable Play from HTTP setting in the add-on settings > playback tab, while having Add-on playback mode, you should have the same result as using 2.2.10. My guess is that you are referring to the auto fallback to HTTP being removed with 2.2.19 (this change only effect add-on playback mode).

Nothing changed as far as Native playback mode which is what the OP is using.

Edited by Angelblue05

weedos123

@@Angelblue05

Thanks for your response.

In finder on the mac mini, i can quite happily navigate to the shared folder on the NAS when logged into the share as "server".See attachment 2.

When looking at Kodi settings > add-ons > install from zip

I can see 1 folder "Public testing" and 2 zip files, 1.0.5 beta .zip and 1.03.zip, see attachment 1.  However when I look at the url for the add-on (http://kodi.emby.media) in file manager, it says the zip files are 0B in size and when I look at the actual zip file, the xml file is 908B in size.  that seems little small.  See attachment 3.

Have i got the right repository?

Paul

post-131332-0-89247300-1471893149_thumb.png

post-131332-0-98656200-1471893171_thumb.png

post-131332-0-77806900-1471893502_thumb.png

Angelblue05

Sorry for the delayed response.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant, look for your actual content via smb via Kodi settings > add-ons > install from zip. Are you able to navigate to your content this way - this would let us know if Kodi is able to actually see your content. What you are looking at is our no sideloading install method which has nothing to do with your issue.

Yes you have the right repository - their size is neglectable, since it only contains an xml file, readme and a small icon. :)

Edited by Angelblue05

StealthDefender

Strange, since a few days i get emby server is offline messages and playback(native) stops!

Greetz Stealth

Angelblue05

@@StealthDefender

Do you mind posting your log when it happens so I can see what event is triggering this? Also if playback stops, something is up server side. Emby for Kodi works off triggers, however it will not stop playback even if server is offline - nothing is in place for this.

I have not seen this issue on my side.

Edit: Maybe start your own thread since this has nothing to do with OP?

Edited by Angelblue05

• Solution
weedos123

Angelblue05

Yes I did misunderstand you.  Don't know why I didn't think of that myself :-(

When I tried it, kodi wouldn't connect to the server, so it had to a permissions issue, as I eventually worked out I'd put the wrong details in the "Network configuration" box and so the Kodi couldn't connect to the nas.  I knew it must be my error.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Paul

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
horstepipe

I finally identified my problem on OSX.

In contrast to Windows, it looks like network shares on OSX are case sensitive. So I called my NAS (on which Emby Server runs)

MyNAS

On Windows I always reached it with

MYNAS

MacOS accepts this, too. But in Emby for Kodi on MacOS I have to enter the path correctly.

Best regards

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

horstepipe

You mean when entering the network credentials associated to the path?

Yes!

When I enter "MYNAS" it doesn't work, so I can't play any file. By Entering "MyNAS" everything is good.

I just forgot that the actual name was "MyNAS" because I never spelled it that way when I configured a network share and never had problems with it.

Edited by horstepipe
  • Like 1

horstepipe

Oh sorry I mixed it up. I didn't change the spelling in Kodi, but I changed the network name of my NAS to "MYNAS"

• Like 1