Watched Status resets with moves between library

linds1234

linds1234

Hi All,

So I put new movies in a "To Watch" library. I watch them, the status gets marked as watch.

I then move the file to a Favourites library such as "Favourites - Action". Emby picks up the move, takes it out of the "To Watch" library and detects a "new" movie in "Favourites- Action".

I could have sworn the watched status would be unaffected by this is in the past, but now the movie gets marked as unwatched.

Example of the folders:

"To Watch":  V:\Movies\_to watch_

"Favourites - Action": V:\Movies\Favourites\Action

Do I have a setting wrong that's causing the watched status not to remain?

Thank you!

Lindsay

Why are you going to all that effort?

Make a playlist called "to watch" and add new movies to this. You can use the servers built-in favorites function. The server can make favorites for any type. Your favorites in the animation genre by warner bros for example. Maybe all favorite movies you have with burt reynolds in them.

It is far easier to do things this way because the file paths never change. Emby doesnt have to keep rescan as often, and your latest items will be consistent.

Can you explain why you manually move the files around from folder to folder the purpose of doing it?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Well Speechles is right but just to answer the question, for movies we correlate the watched data with TheMovieDb ids and ImdbIds. if your movies don't have those identifiers then the watched data is based on the path to the video file, which has now changed.

linds1234

thanks for the reply Speechles- I'll come back to your points..

Luke- this is exactly how I thought it worked as well. Wouldn't it be correlating to one of those 2 IDs by default? These movies are all getting picked up by one of those 2 sources as they pull down the correct metadata.

Well you would have had to have the identifiers before you made the move, and also after. If you didn't have them before, then the previous watch state would have just been tied to the video file path. Now that you've moved the file it's an entirely new video as far as the server is concerned.

linds1234

Thanks Luke..

So I've just done a test with a new movie. Copied it to the "_to watch_" folder, Emby picks it up straight away, pulls down the metadata. I then went to the Metadata manager and confirmed it has an IMDB ID.

Manually marked it as watched.

Movie it to another monitored folder. Emby pops up with a notification indicating a "new" movie has been added. Checked the metadata info and the IMDB number is the same...

Movie is now..... wait.... still watched! (making a liar of me now) *sigh*

But as Speechless is saying, I may be complicating things here so I'll look into simplifying the library structure. Thank you both for your help.

• 1 year later...
funwithmedia

Well Speechles is right but just to answer the question, for movies we correlate the watched data with TheMovieDb ids and ImdbIds. if your movies don't have those identifiers then the watched data is based on the path to the video file, which has now changed.

@@Luke, does this work off of an absolute path, or some sort of relative path?

What I'm particularly thinking/wondering about is for things like Movie and TV Extras/Specials. TV Specials sometimes might have an external ID, but currently Movie Extras don't support that at all. It would be nice if how it works is such that Movie Extras and TV Specials (without external ID's) could be tracked / identified via a path relative to their parent (eg, the Movie that the Extras folder is within), or using any other method that would be more likely to persist the Watched status during a location change. If I ever have to change my folder structures it just would be a bummer to lose the Watched status for all of my various Extras and/or Specials.