MBS Feature: Categorize & Sort Recorded TV Shows

Riples

As I currently run Media Browser in every room practically now, using both Media Centre and Android, I love the fact that it plays pretty much everything anywhere, especially my free TV recordings from the Media Centre.

I record all my FTA programs on my Media Centre and automatically push through to my NAS so they are available on every television within the house.  Works well and I'm happy with the setup.

What I was requesting is if it was possible for MBS to organize the recordings very similar to the way WMC does.  Currently everything gets pushed to a 'recordings' folder on the NAS which is monitored by MBS and although all shows are available on every client, it just displays as a messy jumble of thumbnails in god knows what order.  It makes it hard to try and work out what show I'm meant to be watching next, etc.

It would be great if you could select 'Recorded TV' as a folder type and it then automatically categorized all of the 'similar' recordings and gave some nice structure to the layout exactly how Media Centre does it.  Even just list the name of the show and the recorded date and list in date order (but grouping by show name).

If this is not possible, then if someone has any ideas to get around this it would be great.  As I love Media Browser and want to use just a single solution for all my media, it would be a huge benefit to my collection setup.

Thanks.

well it's possible but i don't know if the demand for it can justify the effort required, especially when you can already have what you want if you use the organization structures we already support. so really it sounds like you're asking us to support more conventions so that you don't have to do that.

another option when live tv rolls out soon is to leave your recordings in wmc, and then you'll get nice groupings through our soon to be released ServerWmc plugin.

52d228d169a16_Untitled.png

I wasn't trying to get out of structuring anything, I was just trying to find a way to push all recording into a single folder (instead of having to move each recording into it's own folder) and have the software sort it automatically, but I do understand that the demand may not be high and it could take a lot of work for a selected amount of people.

However, if your ServerWMC plugin will handle this then I'm happy to wait.

Do you have more information on what it will do?

Well we do support multiple movies in a single folder, but since these are recordings they're not likely to be named well enough for us to find metadata. and i'm guessing they don't come with images which means we're just extracting them. yea check out the plugin when it launches soon, although it gets the recordings by talking to wmc so if wmc no longer knows about them, it's not going to help you.

Well I don't have to move them to the NAS, but will MBS be able to see these recordings across the network?  Or does the plugin have to run local?

Either way, I will definitely check out the plugin.

Thanks for your feedback.  I'm sure I can try and work something out.

Hi OP,

If you use Windows Media Center to record TV at the moment, there is a script you can use that will do what you require: WTV Metarenamer. You will need to configure to monitor your recordings folder, and it will move them to a "/pathtotvshows/TV Show's Name/Season Number/TV Show's Name - S0XE0X - Episode's name.wtv." To automate this process, there is a trigger that you can add to the Task Scheduler that when a recording is done, it will scan the folder, rename (according to TheTVDB) and move to the required folder. It will not touch shows currently being recorded.

I've done things differently by moving all shows to my "Completed Download Folder" that is being monitored by MediaCenterMaster, and it takes over from there.

There is another script (WTV Movie Mover i think it's called) that does the same for movies. 

It's a bit of a chore to setup, but it works great for me. Tonight's Sherlock episode for example will be recorded by WMC on BBC One HD, renamed, moved, parsed by MCM, and placed on the correct folder for MediaBrowser to serve to clients. Total time for that: 1h30 for the episode to air, about 3 secondes for the entire move process ^^

• Like 1