Collection Specials

jamvids

jamvids

Hi,

Is there any way to add special features to a collection? I have converted my Pink Panther collection and the special features are on the series rather than one film. I have the films in a general movies folder. Would it be easier to put them into a collection folder with a specials folder in that?

Vidman

I believe when jamvids mentioned series he is referring to the series of pink panther films , so the extras don't pertain to an individual film but the series/collection of films so the idea would be to have collections allow extras similar to the way individual movies currently allow extras.

There is probably quite a few other movie collections that contain features that pertain to the whole collection rather than individual found also

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

MndWrp

I have a few such collections myself and cannot wait for this feature to see the light of day. Collections could even have trailers.

Edited by MndWrp

ok i see. perhaps an easy way is assigning the extras to movies and then collections can inherit all extras from all movies within.

• Like 2

MndWrp

ok i see. perhaps an easy way is assigning the extras to movies and then collections can inherit all extras from all movies within.

I think that is a workaround that is ok but not great... and i usually expect great from emby.

Say a popular collection like star wars...

There are movie specific special features (making of/deleted scenes kinda stuff) which would belong in each film and general franchise related features... (the star wars phenomenon kinda stuff) which would be great to have on the collection level.

Seems logical anyway...

Problem is we don't have a place for you to put them so we have to define a whole new paradigm for that. Actually before we even were to get into something like that, let's ask the question, would you want extras from all movies aggregated onto the collection screen? if yes, then that is something we can start with, just looking at it from the aggregation standpoint.

MndWrp

Aggregation would actually be overkill to me... again my star wars collection probably has 25 extras per film (I'm a completist what can i say....) and that would make a lot of extras to view on the collection detail page...

It's obviously your call ultimately but keeping it localised within movies would be better for me and having the 5-6 collection related features on collection level would be more intuitive.

As far as where to put them... an extras folder within the collection folder would be an ideal/logical place.

I already have some collections that have theme music and theme videos and i just copied them where emby creates the collection.

• Like 1

Vidman

Maybe a dummy "extras" movie could be used and add the extras to that and add that to the collection that way the extras would appear as a sub menu to the collection

Eg a "Pink Panther Collection Extras" movie stub entry with the Extras in the normal extras sub folder

Edited by Vidman

MndWrp

Is it technically unfeasible to have extras in collections? I can understand if you need to revamp the entire collection system that we can probably find some workaround but if it is feasible that would take collections to a new higher level.

Deathsquirrel

Aggregation would actually be overkill to me... again my star wars collection probably has 25 extras per film (I'm a completist what can i say....) and that would make a lot of extras to view on the collection detail page...

It's obviously your call ultimately but keeping it localised within movies would be better for me and having the 5-6 collection related features on collection level would be more intuitive.

As far as where to put them... an extras folder within the collection folder would be an ideal/logical place.

I already have some collections that have theme music and theme videos and i just copied them where emby creates the collection.

I don't personally care about extras almost ever, but some box sets come with a whole disc of extras that aren't linked directly to a particular movie.

Still, I'd suggest just picking a movie to dump them under.  It's not as if someone is policing you on this.

MndWrp

Maybe as you say, put them in a movie that is part of a collection and have a way to specify if it should display with the movie itself or display as an extra of the collection. A checkbox or something simple. "Display on collection level"

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

sorry to be stupid on this but,  when you are takling about puting the special feature "in the movie" are you sugesting that each movie have a file and the movie and the special feature are in the same file i.e.  \\servername\movies\movie title folder\ and inside this folder you would store the movie and the special features? Then each movie would need to be in its own subfolder of the movies folder? If this is how it would work is this how it works in a TV series as well? 

sorry to be stupid on this but,  when you are takling about puting the special feature "in the movie" are you sugesting that each movie have a file and the movie and the special feature are in the same file i.e.  \\servername\movies\movie title folder\ and inside this folder you would store the movie and the special features? Then each movie would need to be in its own subfolder of the movies folder? If this is how it would work is this how it works in a TV series as well? 

hi @@Beav, check out our movie naming wiki to learn how you can organize specials:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

Thanks !

Deathsquirrel

Just to elaborate on what @@Luck said, yeah, that's the best way for movies though the extras go in the \extras subfolder.  For example:

\\MovieShare\Movies\Back to the Future (1985)\Back to the Future (1985).mkv

\\MovieShare\Movies\Back to the Future (1985)\Extras\Behind the Scenes.mkv

TV shows have a whole season for specials.  All specials go under the Season 0 folder.  The problem is that some specials exist in the metadata sources and some don't.  Take Doctor Who (2005) seasons.  If you look on TVDB you'll see there are probably a couple hundred special features but if you look on the discs there are WAY more than that.  As a result I have taken to naming them in a way that helps me sort them when I have to manually build metadata since none exists on the internet.  So I'll have:

\\MovieShare\TV\Doctor Who (2005)\Season 00\Doctor Who (2005) S00E34 A Christmas Carol.mkv (that matches the naming on TVDB and has existing metadata there)

But I'll also have:

\\MovieShare\TV\Doctor Who (2005)\Season 00\Doctor Who (2005) S00E6006 Doctor Who Confidential Coming to America.mkv (a season 6 special with no internet metadata)

\\MovieShare\TV\Doctor Who (2005)\Season 00\Doctor Who (2005) S00E7001 Doctor Who at Comic Con.mkv (a season 7 special with no internet metadata)

• Like 1

Hi Luke can you please clarify what exactly this note in version 3.2.31.0 release notes is about

*Allow movie extras to be added to collections and playlists

Previously you could right click an existing movie extra and select add to collection or playlist, and the adding part would work but then it wouldn't show up when viewing the collection or playlist. So that was resolved.

• 2 years later...
timgreen

I know this is an old post, but I'm not seeing those "Add to Collection" or "Add to Playlist" buttons when right clicking on Movie Extras in the Web UI. Is there a setting, or has the feature been removed?

17 hours ago, timgreen said:

I know this is an old post, but I'm not seeing those "Add to Collection" or "Add to Playlist" buttons when right clicking on Movie Extras in the Web UI. Is there a setting, or has the feature been removed?

Hi, it's not supported yet for extras but it's planned for the future. Thanks.