Media Portal - Trouble getting Live TV

stratumorien

stratumorien

Cant get live TV to playback using Media Portal since installing on new Synology 916+

Info App: Profile: Unknown Profile, Path: http://192.168.2.178:8096, isEligibleForDirectPlay: False, isEligibleForDirectStream: False
2016-08-16 22:20:20.0832 Info App: Cannot direct play due to unknown content bitrate
2016-08-16 22:20:20.0832 Info App: Cannot direct play due to unknown content bitrate

Log.txt

pünktchen

I am not certain how but I was able to get LIve TV to play. However it runs the CPU at 98% and stutters.

Hi, i've only looked at your second logs. From "MediaPortal plugin" side it looks okay to me, but i always have problems to correctly read the "Emby" side of those logs.

Are you trying to play the stream in a Browser? That would explain why Emby is transcoding the stream. But your Synology is really borderline for this.

You could try it with "QuickSync" enabled and "Throttling" disabled in the transcoding settings of Emby's dashboard. (Keep in mind, QuickSync is a work in progress in Emby)

pünktchen

@@stratumorien from your other post in the Synology section i see QuickSync isn't working on those devices. You could offload the transcoding to your PC that is running the TVServer by choosing an other profile in the settings of the MediaPortal Live TV plugin.

stratumorien

Thanks for the suggestions. You are correct. My attempts were to play through the browser while testing. Currently I have had better luck with playback of live TV from Andriod TV/phone apps. (I didnt know that through the browser playback would always transcode) I get direct playback of media (not TV) when accessing from my Nvidia Shield.

However there is now one new snag. Some channels are perfect (e.g. CNN HD) and others do not start playback (A&E HD) with just spinning circle. However the tuner list shows tuners are in use for that channel even though nothing is playing. I have to restart the server to get it to release tuners.

I like the idea of offloading the transcoding... I am not certain though which profile to use? There are many options and I am a bit Naive. The PC that is running Media Portal and Media Portal Extended is an Intel NUC i5. 

Perhaps I should just go back to using the NUC as both TV and Media Server. Quick Sync worked well on it previously before attempting to consolidate operations on the Synology. Synology 916+ was advertised as able to handle HD and 4K... guess not

pünktchen

Thanks for the suggestions. You are correct. My attempts were to play through the browser while testing. Currently I have had better luck with playback of live TV from Andriod TV/phone apps. (I didnt know that through the browser playback would always transcode) I get direct playback of media (not TV) when accessing from my Nvidia Shield.

However there is now one new snag. Some channels are perfect (e.g. CNN HD) and others do not start playback (A&E HD) with just spinning circle. However the tuner list shows tuners are in use for that channel even though nothing is playing. I have to restart the server to get it to release tuners.

I find the Android TV app always a little buggy when it comes to live tv. <_<

I haven't checked the latest betas, but in stable is/was a problem that the last stream isn't stopped before starting a new one from mini guide. With the Andoid Mobile app i have no problems.

If the shield should replace your main client, i suggest you to go the Kodi way. Kodi is in every aspect far more superior than Emby Android TV!

I like the idea of offloading the transcoding... I am not certain though which profile to use? There are many options and I am a bit Naive. The PC that is running Media Portal and Media Portal Extended is an Intel NUC i5. 

I don't know either. It's a trial an error process. In the worst case you have to create a new MPExtended transcoding profile that suits all needs.

Perhaps I should just go back to using the NUC as both TV and Media Server. Quick Sync worked well on it previously before attempting to consolidate operations on the Synology. Synology 916+ was advertised as able to handle HD and 4K... guess not

That would be the best choice imho! Not only because of the transcoding power of the NUC, but also because it's problematic that if Emby does a guide refresh while your TVServer isn't online - all guide data is cleared from within Emby. So chances are good that if you wake up your TVServer, you'll have to do a manual guide refresh in Emby's dashboard and wait 10 minutes for the data to populate.

Just use the Synology as a file storage, not as a real server.

stratumorien

Thanks again for your insights.

Does Kodi work nicely with MediaPortal TV Server? Kodi is a standalone app correct? No server to install on backend? If Kodi works best on Android TV platform then no need for Emby server, correct?

-Bri

pünktchen

Thanks again for your insights.

Does Kodi work nicely with MediaPortal TV Server? Kodi is a standalone app correct? No server to install on backend? If Kodi works best on Android TV platform then no need for Emby server, correct?

-Bri

Yes Kodi is a standalone app and works great with MediaPortal TVServer.

But you can still use Emby Server to arrange your media libraries for different users, scraping meta data for you media, sync watched states across different client devices, manage tv schedules from mobile devices or remote streaming (depends on your cpu). There's a Emby for Kodi addon that integrates seamless into Kodi as a replacement for Kodi's original library.

stratumorien

I would be very appreciative of any help you could provide getting started with KODI. Upon install of the application on my shield I see a limited menu and it is not clear how to begin to interface with my MediaPortal TV server. I see TV settings under "system" and have put in IP of host for media portal. but have no idea where to find "Live TV" launcher or "guide" etc.

stratumorien

Appreciate the link, I did find this.. I installed the addon in MediaPortal and configured PVR addon for MediaPortal in Kodi.  I still have no clue what to do next.

Also the emby addon for Kodi you mentioned, it is not clear where this fits in.

-so very confused.

Bri

sleep well!

stratumorien

Update: I have Kodi configured and after some frustrated attempts at getting shares configured for TV buffer I now have Live TV on the Shield Client. Woohoo! (Note the TV menu option didn't make itself known until a restart of the app. (not explicilty explained in Wiki).

Now on to figuring out how to get EMBY library to be used in KODI. cant find any Emby addon listed when browsing through KODI.

pünktchen

First you have to install the "Kodi plugin" from Emby's plugin catalog (dashboard), then in Kodi you have to install the "Emby Repository" and the "Emby for Kodi" addon:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki

After installation of the addon, your Emby server will be auto-discovered and the the addon wants to sync your library...

I suggest you to cancel this process and to configure the addon first: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/Emby-for-kodi-settings

Important setting: Playback mode - Native

stratumorien

I installed the emby for Kodi addon and it found my libraties and poulated new menus. However I get an error after attempting playback pf any video. unable to direct play smb:\\Synology Hostname\path to media file.

I will double check settings this evening, I believe i switch playback to native but not sure as it got late and I was pretty tired

On the emby library config I specify the network location of shares using UNC path. I do not have media stored locally or have network shares mapped as local drives in windows. I can play media fine from emby app on my android phone.

Under this condition path substitutions are not necessary, correct?

Final question (s)

1. where can one grab relevant logs from Kodi app on Android TV

2. Is there a explicit method to force Kodi to refresh/reload emby libraries after I make changes to emby server config?

Thanks again for all your help, Im getting close. I have to leave town for weekend and dont want to leave my wife and two boys without their shows...

pünktchen

I installed the emby for Kodi addon and it found my libraties and poulated new menus. However I get an error after attempting playback pf any video. unable to direct play smb:\\Synology Hostname\path to media file.

I will double check settings this evening, I believe i switch playback to native but not sure as it got late and I was pretty tired

Probably just a permission problem?! Emby for Kodi addon -> Settings -> Playback -> Network Credentials

On the emby library config I specify the network location of shares using UNC path. I do not have media stored locally or have network shares mapped as local drives in windows. I can play media fine from emby app on my android phone.

Under this condition path substitutions are not necessary, correct?

Correct!

1. where can one grab relevant logs from Kodi app on Android TV

You have to install a file explorer that shows hidden folders on your Android device. ("ES File Explorer")

/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

2. Is there a explicit method to force Kodi to refresh/reload emby libraries after I make changes to emby server config?

Kodi home screen -> Videos -> Video Addons -> Emby

-> Refresh Emby playlists/video nodes

-> Perform manual sync

-> Repair local database (force update all content)

-> Perform local database reset

When you are back in town and all performs well, i highly recommend you to install one of the advanced Kodi skins, that let create you custom home screen shortcuts!

Eg. Titan (most customizable imho), Arctic Zephyr or Aeon Nox

stratumorien

i must have re-entered the Nas credentials 5 times. After making changes to kodi addon config must I do the refresh you described above for it to take effect?

another reason i wanted to peek at logs.

Angelblue05

The easiest way to go about it is this: in Kodi settings > addons > install from zip > navigate to your content via the protocol you are using, does it ask you for credentials at any point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

pünktchen

After making changes to kodi addon config must I do the refresh you described above for it to take effect?

Only if you change the playback-mode (native/addon).

ps. You don't have to use all of the refresh modes, but the one that fits to the situation.

pünktchen

i must have re-entered the Nas credentials 5 times.

Have you restarted Kodi after entering your network credentials?

This seems be essential.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

It will be updated soon to restart Kodi after entering the credentials. It's on our trello board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

stratumorien

Update: Given the assistance in this forum and a clean reset of database in Kodi I have a fully functional Android TV media center that hosts live tv, series library, films, and music.

Thanks again. as I dig deeper I am sure i will return to post a new thread.

Cheers

• Like 2