Resuming video starts it over

Inrego

Inrego

Over the last days, I've been experiencing issues with the web player. I often pause the videos and resume them, but lately - very often when I resume a video, it just starts over instead.

If it is a video that I continued playing from X:XX (as in the current progress was saved, and continued in another session), then resuming will set the video back to X:XX

I've seen it happen both when I click the video, and by alt-tabbing to the window and hitting space.

I am running version 3.0.6060.0

Let me know if you need anything else.

Edited by Inrego

Inrego

This is driving me crazy. Any way to fix it?

Some more info: I am using Chrome. And I think it started after I formatted my PC.

Edited by Inrego

Are you running a proxy or vpn? a few people have reported this in those circumstances but i have not been able to reproduce it.

Inrego

Nope, no proxy or VPN. I mean, I do occationally connect to a VPN for work, but am not connected while using Emby. I'll try to clear all browser data for emby today and see if that helps.

Inrego

btw, I am also a developer. So if all else fails, imma try debug the javascript myself, since it sounds like it's not reproducable.

Inrego

Some more info: It seems to be related to how long the video has been paused for. It seems to consistently start the video over if it has been paused for 15 seconds or more.

The same behavior is experienced when manually calling the .play() method on the video element. So I'm thinking it's gotta be some event handlers doing it?

I tried incognito browsing, and same thing.

I tried Edge browser, but app.emby.media doesn't even load. Just the background color and nothing else.

I tried Firefox, but the video will not play at all. I got a pop up saying there was an error playing the video. Something seems very wrong..

I am gonna try another pc now. (EDIT: Same behavior on another pc).

Could it possibly be related to Windows 10 Anniversary update? I'll try OSX and Windows 10 without anniversary update now.

UPDATE:

Windows 10 without anniversary update: Same issue

OSX: Works fine on Chrome.

Tried updating Emby to beta (3.1.107.0). Issue still persists.

Edited by Inrego

Inrego

What would you recommend? A reinstall? I find it perculiar that it works on OSX Chrome, though.

Edited by Inrego

Inrego

I just bought Emby Premiere to use Emby Theater. Thought I'd give Emby Theater for the browser a shot as well. And the issue happens there too :P Now I'm off to use the Windows App.

Having the same issue. Happens when I pause it, walk away for a few minutes, then attempt to resume.

emby-server-3.0.6060 installed from 'pkg install emby-server' in a FreeNAS 9.10.1/FreeBSD 10.3 jail, using Chrome 52.0.2743.116 in OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. Not experiencing this behavior in Firefox.

Edited by pheed

I'm having the same problem and it's driving me crazy. On some videos this happens every single time I pause, It's been happening for the last month or so. If I pause a video and then try to play it, it will just start over from the beginning.

Running the FreeNAS emby server plugin and watching in chrome.

Edited by Lilan

• 2 months later...

Are we just treating this breaking bug as if it doesn't exist? What can I do to help you locate the issue? You want access to my Emby server so you can reproduce it yourselves?

I'm sorry to post a new thread about the same issue. But it seems like the other thread is being ignored because it is "old"..

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/37955-resuming-video-starts-it-over/

I paid for this product, and I really expect such a breaking bug to be taken more seriously. What can I do to assist you in locating the issue?

Ok, I will post a server log soon. But it does seem like a front-end issue. No other clients than the web client has the issue. I have posted version and OS in the original post. But I have tried many different versions. Stable, beta. I've auto update enabled and the issue has been there for 3 months, so listing all the versions I have experienced the issue on seems moot.

• 4 weeks later...

It was chrome disconnecting so we had to change the transcoding format to something that would be more resilient to that. I don't know why I was never able to reproduce it.