Videos take around 10 seconds to start using direct path

swifty
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

Hi,

I've just recently setup the Kodi addon to use Emby as a backend source for all my media and for the most part it seems to be working great.

However there is one issue i'm having which I'm not sure is normal..

Whenever I click to start a movie/episode in Kodi that has been added via the emby addon, it takes around 10 seconds to start, even though it's using direct play within my LAN (path substitution is configured to use NFS).

If I manually start a video from an NFS source it's instant, but when I use the library of Emby items I get an 'Opening stream' popup for about 5 seconds, which then disappears, followed by the same again, but when the second one disappears the item then starts to play.

Surely this should be instant and just make use of the NFS path available in the first place?

I've attached a log which shows the issue, I click to play 12 years a slave, then it does the 'opening stream' stuff for around 10 seconds before starting playback.

I'm using SPMC (Kodi 16 essentially) on Amazon FireTV 2, but I get exactly the same issue on my Windows laptop with Kodi 16

spmc.log

• Solution
Angelblue05

You should probably switch to use native playback mode instead (emby add-on settings > sync options). You'll need to then reset your local database by launching the emby for kodi add-on after changing the setting.

Add-on playback mode which is default for the add-on to control what happens right before playback performs well on faster devices. I have a 2-3 seconds delay on my fireTV stick but it's nothing extreme. In your case, if it's always a 10 second delay, I would switch. The only thing you will be missing out on is the ability to transcode/play from HTTP (for remote access) and emby cinema mode. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

Thanks Angelblue05,

I had tried the native playback option in settings, but wasn't aware that I'd need to reset the database afterwards.

I'll give it a shot now and see if it improves!

• Like 2