Option to play Multiple Formats (3D)

KHTar

I believe this has been talked about and is likely in the list of things to be implemented but I was unable to find a direct post asking for this feature, plus I wanted to add an additional option as well.

It would be nice to be able to manually select a specific video format, when multiple video files/formats are stored under one movie item.  I know currently the server attempts to determine transfer speed and transmits the highest possible resolution that is appropriate for the transfer speed.  However this doesn't work if I have a movie stored in regular 2D format and in 3D format.  In some cases the 3D format is actually larger resolution and thus it would always play the 3D version instead of the 2D version.  In other cases when the resolutions are the same I may not be on a device that can view 3D media and thus would need to select the 2D version.

The additional request I would like to place on this is changing the interface on top of 3D media playing to a similar format of the playing 3D file (sbs, OU, etc.)  Every 3D player I have seen doesn't do this and thus when viewing a 3D video the interface (movie thumbnail, play/pause/next buttons, volume control and/or place indicator) are always slightly or severely scrambled through the 3D glasses.  I don't know why the interface can't be doubled as well to then show up correctly in a true 3D format and not scrambled when viewed through the glasses.

The second part is just my suggestion for a good option, and would be really nice to see implemented but at a minimum if the first part could be implemented then I don't have to store my 3D formats in different locations and set them up as a completely different movies.

Thanks

• Like 5

Hi, yes currently we pick one automatically but giving you manual control is a good idea for the future.

Vidman

I

The additional request I would like to place on this is changing the interface on top of 3D media playing to a similar format of the playing 3D file (sbs, OU, etc.) Every 3D player I have seen doesn't do this and thus when viewing a 3D video the interface (movie thumbnail, play/pause/next buttons, volume control and/or place indicator) are always slightly or severely scrambled through the 3D glasses. I don't know why the interface can't be doubled as well to then show up correctly in a true 3D format and not scrambled when viewed through the glasses.

Kodi does this fyi

• 11 months later...
hstamas

Hi, yes currently we pick one automatically but giving you manual control is a good idea for the future.

Any movement on this @@Luke? I am slowly transitioning over to Emby from Plex and, rather than manually put all my 3D versions into collections it would be a lot easier just to tag them as “3D” and let Emby display them as a single file.

Problem is, for 3D movies, sometime I want to play the 2D version instead but it looks like, at least in Kodi, the 3D version is always played with no way to play the 2D version instead.

Could it just be added to the “Emby Options” context menu within Kodi?

We are planning in a future update to allow you to manually select the title you want. The workaround in the meantime would be to name your files such that they would be separate titles. Thanks.

darkassassin07

With the rise in vr id be really interested to see a vr theater in emby where you can sit in a virtual theater with your friends and watch movies even from seprate networks/setups.

Throw virtual popcorn at each other that sorta thing.

Could be an interesting expansion to theater mode

Dibbes

We are planning in a future update to allow you to manually select the title you want. The workaround in the meantime would be to name your files such that they would be separate titles. Thanks.

@@Luke, I have my 3D and 2D in separate folders and even separate libraries in Emby. When playing a 2D movie and stopping this half-way through, both show up under the "continue watching" strip. I don't think this was meant as a feature.

shorty1483

With the rise in vr id be really interested to see a vr theater in emby where you can sit in a virtual theater with your friends and watch movies even from seprate networks/setups.

Throw virtual popcorn at each other that sorta thing.

Could be an interesting expansion to theater mode

Then vote for this thread:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/19361-google-cardboard/

Jdiesel

@@Luke, I have my 3D and 2D in separate folders and even separate libraries in Emby. When playing a 2D movie and stopping this half-way through, both show up under the "continue watching" strip. I don't think this was meant as a feature.

I believe this is a known behavior and not necessarily a feature. I asked about it a while back and if i recall correctly it was due to how Emby uses tmdb or imdb ids as an identifier for movies. 

• Like 1

I believe this is a known behavior and not necessarily a feature. I asked about it a while back and if i recall correctly it was due to how Emby uses tmdb or imdb ids as an identifier for movies. 

Correct all user data (like watched status and favorite etc.) are tied to global IDs and there are not different global IDs for different versions of the same film.  We do this so that this information can survive things like you upgrading the video to a higher resolution or moving it to a new location.

• Like 1

Vidman

The simple solution is to remove the IMDb/tmdb IDs and lock from changing the 3D version after the item has downloaded all the metadata you want

Dibbes

The simple solution is to remove the IMDb/tmdb IDs and lock from changing the 3D version after the item has downloaded all the metadata you want

It doesn't bother me that much... I just couldn't remember seeing the thread @@Jdiesel mentioned (nor had I looked for it) so I thought I'd mention it here.

With a library like mine I think I'm seeing about every bug and undocumented feature come by, as least for the app that I'm using. Most of the time someone else already reported it though...