Offline mode?

jriker1

I'm sorry, but we operate in a competitive environment.  If you have the impression that our internals are going to be completely open to the public, I apologize for giving you that impression.  That is not going to be the case.  We cannot afford to be "transparent" :).

dcrdev

If you believe that - I really despair truly  :wacko:

It's probably the one thing really preventing you from competing with your only other competitor - by fobbing people off you really are only hurting yourself and ultimately alienating those who are invested in your platform.

Edited by dcrdev

I apologize if the above sounded harsh.  What I really would like to know is where the expectation of "complete transparency" is coming from.  We are operating in a competitive environment and I know of no other software provider that completely publishes its internal schedules, activities and resource allocations.  To do so isn't always practical but it also is exposing yourself to all of your competition.

We do try to keep you guys up to date on what we are working on as best we can.  But some of these things simply take time - some a lot more time than we would like.

dcrdev

Well yes in an ideal world I would like complete transparency - I'm an advocate of open source software (not free - important distinction) and am a firm believer that you should have full awareness of software on your device. HOWEVER I accept that is not the real world and I don't think I suggested you divulge your inner workings such as resource allocation and activities.

What I am suggesting on the other hand is that instead of saying year-on-year that a feature is coming with no background and the same almost autonomous response to anyone who dare ask, that you simply say "well it's not on the roadmap at the moment" or "we are working on it but we have 1 or 2 issues" . That would suffice for me because it would make me (and probably others) think "hey these are a really straightforward bunch who are trying their best" instead of making me feel like I really don't know the people who's software I have invested so much of my time in; which only makes me sceptical about what the project will look like in the future!

Edited by dcrdev

jscoys

Ok so let's talk about competition environment. Your main competitor has got this feature available for around 3 years now, and Luke announced it 2 years ago for the iOS app. After that you said that's it's the fault of apple, and then after several months we understood that finally it weren't apple's fault but some other reasons that you don't want to explain... it's more an "open source" manner of managing the announcement of a feature. You're a business now, Emby is a paid product. You are 2 years retard on what competitors offer. As a business, you're loosing money because users are preventing from buying your product because of that. So ok you don't have to give us your planning, but you can't announce something 2 years ago and during these 2 years saying it's coming. The transparency there is not giving us a date, we don't care, but is saying in a transparent manner that you don't want or can't implement it. Lying has never been the solution, and it gives us the feeling you don't care about IOS users, and in the meanwhile Android users enjoy it without problems... I love Emby but don't like the way this chapter has been managed... sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

happpyg

Well yes in an ideal world I would like complete transparency - I'm an advocate of open source software (not free - important distinction) and am a firm believer that you should have full awareness of software on your device. HOWEVER I accept that is not the real world and I don't think I suggested you divulge your inner workings such as resource allocation and activities.

What I am suggesting on the other hand is that instead of saying year-on-year that a feature is coming with no background and the same almost autonomous response to anyone who dare ask, that you simply say "well it's not on the roadmap at the moment" or "we are working on it but we have 1 or 2 issues" . That would suffice for me because it would make me (and probably others) think "hey these are a really straightforward bunch who are trying their best" instead of making me feel like I really don't know the people who's software I have invested so much of my time in; which only makes me sceptical about what the project will look like in the future!

Ok so let's talk about competition environment. Your main competitor has got this feature available for around 3 years now, and Luke announced it 2 years ago for the iOS app. After that you said that's it's the fault of apple, and then after several months we understood that finally it weren't apple's fault but some other reasons that you don't want to explain... it's more an "open source" manner of managing the announcement of a feature. You're a business now, Emby is a paid product. You are 2 years retard on what competitors offer. As a business, you're loosing money because users are preventing from buying your product because of that. So ok you don't have to give us your planning, but you can't announce something 2 years ago and during these 2 years saying it's coming. The transparency there is not giving us a date, we don't care, but is saying in a transparent manner that you don't want or can't implement it. Lying has never been the solution, and it gives us the feeling you don't care about IOS users, and in the meanwhile Android users enjoy it without problems... I love Emby but don't like the way this chapter has been managed... sorry!

These two posts pretty much sum up my feelings too with the addition that I have often found getting answers or fixes to issues hard with a standard reply of "we'll look into it" or "well look at it in a future update" both of which often get left in limbo with nothing ever happening.  I am running Plex and Emby in parallel because there are a few simple things that Plex can do which have been feature requests for Emby in some cases for years (not just offline sync), admittedly some are probably smaller things that perhaps the majority may not use but still.  I would prefer to run Emby only as I honestly believe it has the potential to be the better all round product but am not prepared to keep two ecosystems going indefinitely waiting for features to appear in Emby that the other has been able to do for a long time.

I do however understand it would be hard work keeping up and I can see from the frequent changes and updates there is a lot going on, hopefully i'll be removing Plex in the not too distant future!

• Like 1

So, neither @@Luke nor @@ebr has actually answered the main question, but rather engage in sematics and some kinda dodge- & blame game... <_<

Really guys, I DON´T care, need to know or give a s**t about your "internal schedules, activities and resource allocations", etc...

I, however, wanna straight up answer to my question: Do you have an ETA on the offline/sync/download for iOS devices?

jscoys

I apologize if the above sounded harsh. What I really would like to know is where the expectation of "complete transparency" is coming from. We are operating in a competitive environment and I know of no other software provider that completely publishes its internal schedules, activities and resource allocations. To do so isn't always practical but it also is exposing yourself to all of your competition.

We do try to keep you guys up to date on what we are working on as best we can. But some of these things simply take time - some a lot more time than we would like.

@@Gogge : have you red the complete thread? They already answered you question : they can't give you any ETA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Vidman

Offline sync does not work for Android either

rjay

Are you sure on this one? I don't use my Andriod Tablet all the time, mainly just when I travel, but I used offline sync a couple of times earlier in the year and it worked fine? Ticket a few albums and vids I wanted to watch, left it on wifi overnight bam in the morning all the content was sitting on the Tablet SD card.

• Like 1

jscoys

Offline sync is available for a while on Android.

Vidman

Are you sure on this one? I don't use my Andriod Tablet all the time, mainly just when I travel, but I used offline sync a couple of times earlier in the year and it worked fine? Ticket a few albums and vids I wanted to watch, left it on wifi overnight bam in the morning all the content was sitting on the Tablet SD card.

Offline sync is available for a while on Android.

Did you try to play back in the emby app while offline/in flight mode? No? Because it's not possible

jscoys

Did you try to play back in the emby app while offline/in flight mode? No? Because it's not possible

We speak about "sync" not offline mode. Offline has never been available in Emby, but sync mode yes, for Android users only...

jscoys

Ok to use the good terms, "offline downloads" feature is a new feature of Emby, but is only implemented for Windows apprit the moment and is being implemented for Android. The "sync mode" (the one requiring access to the server to access the movie you wanna play) has been implemented for several years now for Android only.

Luke said before that the "offline downloads" feature is coming to Android, but as for "sync mode" we don't have any vision on iOS version for this new feature. For reasons we don't know, there's a big chance we won't have this feature on iOS Emby app.

Hope it's more clear.

No they are the same feature, we are just favoring the word Download over Sync now.

Vidman

No we speak about offline mode . See the title of this thread

True offline mode only works with the win 10 app and I believe some versions of emby Theater

Edited by Vidman

rjay

hey man, was away from the laptop today so delayed response but looks like few ppl have answered the questions anyways. nah I didn't try that because I knew that was not what offline sync did on Android. I just played them back in VLC as I knew Emby had to be online for the player component to work. Yep I believe the full Offline mode is working in Windows environments I am yet to test that though as I usually used tablet for travel movies/series due to better battery life. I think the full Offline mode is coming in the future to Android also, the sync still works quite well though as it makes it easy to browse your collections and make them available for travel etc.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

We are working on a new video player for the app first, and then we'll finally circle back to downloading. The testers have the feature in beta right now, they just can't play downloaded content yet.

Thought you might like to know the beta testers are able to play their downloaded videos now. So this will be in the next release of the app.

• Like 2

revisionx

Wow that was quick.

Dont hang about you guys lol

Bit off topic but anyway of adding like maintenance mode? So displays back soon screen for when embys converting files or gathering gigs of data for files

dcrdev

Thought you might like to know the beta testers are able to play their downloaded videos now. So this will be in the next release of the app.

This is excellent news!

Please please say this is inclusive of music!

dcrdev

Not in the testing builds yet but for the next release we'll have it done,yes.

Smashing -

I have to go through a right ordeal to get my music on my phone at the moment.

I wont use Windows due to the telemetry/proprietary stuff, only use Linux.

So I have to: 

1) Use mp3fs  https://khenriks.github.io/mp3fs/ to export my flac collection as aac.

2) Export that via Samba on my file server

3) Have a windows vm running with that share mapped and itunes pointing to that folder.

3) Use usb redirection to connect my phone to the vm.

And... it is slow as as hell.

So this would finally make Emby do for me what I needed it to do from the start.