Large delay between releases (stable and beta) and update package appearing in Synology

shad0h

shad0h

Hi everyone, 

Just hoping to see if I am an exception or if this is common to us all, but I have noticed over the last few releases (beta and stable) that there is a very long delay between the new version being announced (pushed to git) and being available as an update in the Package Centre.

The last beta update I installed took about a day and a half to appear (despite me clicking refresh many times), after the dashboard declared the new version was available.

I see that the current update has been in the wild about 7 hours already as well, and still no update.

As I said, more curious whether this is an issue that I am experiencing individually as the first priority.

solabc16

Hello @@shad0h

Could you be more specific with versions and the delay experienced, so I can look into it.

For release 3.0.6050, these are the timestamps:-

Release Tagged    : 2016-08-08T00:01:50Z
Package Built     : 2016-08-08T00:18:08Z
SPK Published     : 2016-08-08T00:22:06Z
1st User Download : 2016-08-08T01:05:13Z

As a background, once the release is tagged, the Synology package is built. This includes all of the platform specific dependencies, configuration items and checks for the various supported architectures.

To prevent DOA (for whatever reason) pacakges being published, the SPK is 'sanity checked' before being made public.

The 'sanity checks' were implemented over the weekend, which resulted in releases after 3.1.90.0-1-beta being held, due to the issue reported here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/37652-beta-31900-1-on-synology-dash-will-not-start/.

We've since changed this behaviour, so that the full 'sanity checks' are now only applied to stable, on the beta channel the only check will be to make sure the Mono process starts and not look at any specific Emby Server functionality.

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

Thanks @@solabc16 (James), 

Latest case in point was beta 197. After about 9 hours following release (looking at the time since commit on git), it was still not appearing in my Package Centre as an update.

My synology emailed me at 4am (GMT+10, which was about 16 hours after commit) that the package was available to update, but again I don't know how long it may have been available in PC prior to that notification.

Frankly, I don't know how Synology does it's check - whether it is a push, or a cron job pull - but just wanted to make sure I didn't have an issue on my side that I needed to investigate.

Genuinely, this was not intended as a complaint, only a query to see if my experience was abnormal.

Shane

Edited by shad0h

solabc16

Hello @@shad0h

No offence taken, I'm certainly keen to make sure this process is working as efficiently as is possible.

I've certainly seen a wide variation in timings from Package Center when testing with Automatic Updates (not recommended) enabled.

Let's track a few more through and see what we find.

Do you have a static IP? Even if not, we can likely use your current IP to track through the recent requests we are seeing from Package Center and shed some more light on it.

PM me your IP address if you're up for it and I'll share the logs and we can take it from there.

- James

Hi @@solabc16

Not sure if you have pushed the Synology package to them yet, as I had not seen the update for 107 after about 14 hours (before it was superseded), and I think it must be coming up on 10 hours for 108.

Wasn't sure if the new .net/mono was holding up pushing the synology beta versions in anyway.

Shane

Edited by shad0h

solabc16

Hi @@shad0h

As the only change between 3.1.106-beta and 3.1.109-beta is the "Update windows to target 4.6.2 (beta and dev channels only for now)", we'd held of pushing the releases for now, as they do not apply to the Synology platform.

Best

- James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @@solabc16

Haven't seen a Syno update since 117 beta.  Are these last (7 I think now) not relevant to us, or are we having an issue with package manager still ?

Should I manually update to test ?

Thanks mate, 

Shane

solabc16

Hello @@shad0h

The latest beta and stable releases are now available.

We just had a little bit to juggle, with regression testing for DSM release 6.0.2-8451, finalising the package for the Marvell architecture and the new stable release all coinciding. Once we have all of the architecures supported and in the public domain, this all gets a little easier.

Thanks for your patience.

- James

• Like 1