Does Emby have an "Optimize" feature to pre-transcode files?

ShoutingMan

ShoutingMan

Plex has the "Optimize" feature, where pre-transcoded copies of files are stored for later playback on a streaming device, like an AppleTV. The benefit is it doesn't take real-time transcoding for the target device, allowing for useful transport controls (thumbnails during forward/reverse scrubbing).

Does Emby have an equivalent feature? 

I'm trying to figure out whether Emby or Plex or some combination of both are the right solution for my various viewing scenarios. Thanks.

legallink

The sync folder will do that (if you "sync" everything), but sync is a bit of a pain from a management perspective and in my opinion, not nearly as efficient/useful as using handbrake.  I have found using handbrake to convert everything to MP4 before hand to be the most effective.  It is a bit laborious but you get the quality you want and the functionality you want.

For instance, our most finicky players are the Apple TV and very old Roku's.  So I created a handbrake profile for those boxes and pre-converted everything.  I then just drop it in the folder and manage teh content through normal folder/file management on a windows machine.  With Sync, you sort of have to hunt and peck to see what has been "pre-transcoded"/optimized.

ShoutingMan

The sync folder will do that (if you "sync" everything), but sync is a bit of a pain from a management perspective and in my opinion, not nearly as efficient/useful as using handbrake.  I have found using handbrake to convert everything to MP4 before hand to be the most effective.  It is a bit laborious but you get the quality you want and the functionality you want.

For instance, our most finicky players are the Apple TV and very old Roku's.  So I created a handbrake profile for those boxes and pre-converted everything.  I then just drop it in the folder and manage teh content through normal folder/file management on a windows machine.  With Sync, you sort of have to hunt and peck to see what has been "pre-transcoded"/optimized.

In Plex, the "optimized" versions are stored in a separate folder, not replacing the originals. For playback, the UI gives an option of the original or the optimized version. For Emby, if I create a second version through Handbrake, how do I name and store it, and then select it during playback on the AppleTV?

In Emby it's exactly the same, the only difference is you are currently not presented with a choice. The app will choose the most efficient one, generally the one that won't require transcoding. If a selection box is something you'd like to see then perhaps that's something we can look into in the future.

• Like 2

ShoutingMan

Thanks. I'll take a look into this some more.

I'm getting excited about Emby. It really looks like it's designed well to meet my needs. Plex is pretty great, and I thought that was my solution. But it's starting to seem like Emby speaks my language a bit better all around. :)

• 2 years later...