Emby "Collections" not showing up in kodi "Sets"

MarcusJ
Go to solution Solved by MarcusJ,

xnappo

Yeah, I know - but zipping that up and putting it on dropbox or something may be the fastest way to get to the bottom of this.  Though it is sounding more and more like a server problem. 

• Like 1

MarcusJ

Gentlemen, what could cause a movie to be characterized in emby as an "Other Item" instead of a "Movie" when attempting to add that movie to a collection?  This seems to be the common thread running through all the emby collections that don't get identified in kodi.

xnappo

@@Luke - can you help out here?  If you have indeed identified that as what they have in common that is good progress!

• Like 1

What is the issue? the categorization of other is purely a display decision made in the web app. it has no bearing on api output coming from the server. as far as the server is concerned it's just a flat list of items attached to a boxset.

• Like 1

xnappo

What is the issue? the categorization of other is purely a display decision made in the web app. it has no bearing on api output coming from the server. as far as the server is concerned it's just a flat list of items attached to a boxset.

It seems like sometimes it is classified as Movie and other times as Other.

@@MarcusJ - I think we really need to get your metadata - it will be big though.  Please change the debug logging level to 'Debug', run a full sync, zip and post your log somewhere (dropbox etc).

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

MarcusJ

xnappo, I'm happy to do that, but let me expose my ignorance here...Are these kodi or emby things you're asking me to do?  Where, exactly, do I change the debug logging level?  And, how, exactly do I run a "full sync"?

MarcusJ

Luke, while I conceptually understand what you're saying, it is very odd that when this happens (movie identified as an "Other Item"), this "Other Item" movie's metadata is different than the actual movie's metadata. Does that make any sense? In other words, when I right-click on the "Other Item" movie and then select "Edit Info", the metadata that pops up to be edited is clearly different than the metadata associated with the actual movie. The metadata for the "Other Item" movie also then appears in the emby Metadata Manager, UNDER (shown as indented) the collection's title, but yet the original movie's metadata is also there and is NOT under the collection's title.  See what I mean?  There are now 2 metadata's for one movie.

Sometimes after running a full library scan, I can go back into the "Movies" Library and create a new collection for movies that previously showed up as an "Other Item", but now will show up as a "Movie". When this happens, the metadata is perfect - one metadata that appears under the collection's title with the exact information that should be there (title, genres, keywords, people, images, etc...).  I have been able to do this on quite a few collections just today after last night's full scan.  Other collections, however, such as the Exorcist and Final Destination movies still show up as "Other Items" and their metadata is wrong and duplicated as described above.

Angelblue05

No, don't do a full sync. Just a manual sync, we will be able to see what is returned as collections. So in the emby add-on settings > advanced > log level: debug, then launch emby for kodi > manual sync. Let it run and finish. Then zip up the log and put it on dropbox or something.

i am thinking however, that the issue might be because we filter by movies when it comes to associating the set to titles... This could be where things get lost? 

How to report a problem

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17599-how-to-report-a-problem/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, if you are willing to wait a few minutes, I'll make you a custom build so you don't need to turn on debug. I'll just add additional logging for collections only. This way, it will keep the file size reasonable.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

@@MarcusJ

Here you go: Just install this build over your current one - I increased the logging and made sure it will update your boxsets regardless so we'll be able to see what's going on. Restart Kodi, launch emby for Kodi and run a manual sync (no need to change your add-on log level to debug)

Post your log - it should be small enough to attach it to your post. Thanks

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/17599-how-to-report-a-problem/

plugin.video.emby-2.2.20~alpha.zip

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

MarcusJ

Observations after the Manual Sync:

1. I now have 78 collections on the emby server - all manually created
  2. When looking at "Sets" inside the emby-for-kodi addon, it now shows 19 sets
    • The first 3 sets shown under "sets" are titled
      • Alien
      • Chucky
      • Conjuring
    • However, these 3 sets have images and the associated movies for entirely different collections. For example, the set labeled "Alien" does not have the Alien image, it has a James Bond image, and when I open that set, it shows all of the James Bond movies???  Similarly, the set labeled "Chucky" has the image and all of the movies for my "Steven Seagal" collection, and the set labeled "Conjuring" has the image and all the movies in my "Tarzan" collection. All of the other 16 sets are labeled, imaged and contain movies from the same collection as the set name.
  3. Looking through several of the other 59 collections I have on the emby server that do NOT show up as sets in kodi, there does not appear to be any correlation with the oddity I noticed earlier (designated as "Movie" vs "Other Item" inside the emby collection) with showing up as a set in kodi.
  4. One last thing - when I watched the status flashing up on the kodi during the Manual Sync, when it said it was processing sets, it said 78 items - which is exactly how many I have on the emby server, however, as mentioned only 19 of those made their way through the process and got listed as sets in kodi.

I hope this new information along with the kodi log is helpful.

Edited by MarcusJ

Angelblue05

And just to confirm, even if you reset your database in emby for Kodi - when you resync your content, the same sets are still messed up, right?

• Like 1

MarcusJ

I installed the build you sent me, re-started kodi, and then did a Manual Sync in the emby-for-kodi addon.  I did not "reset my database in emby for Kodi".  Should I do it over with an additional step and resend the log file??

xnappo

No, you don't need to do that - but I would like a manual sync log with debug set to 'Debug' instead of 'Info'.

This is in the Emby for Kodi addon settings in the 'Advanced' tab.

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Why @@xnappo? You have debug for collections in the log provided previously? What are you looking for exactly?

• Like 1

xnappo

I want to see all the server metadata for those movies.  The info needed to debug might be in the current log, but a full log will definitely have everything we need.  I don't want to have to ask again later.

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 2

MarcusJ

OK, before I had read your response about not requiring a full reset, I went ahead and did a full database reset in the emby-for-kodi addon. It ran successfully. I then restarted kodi and noticed that the emby-for-kodi addon immediately started discovering the movies again starting from scratch, so I let it go over night as I figured it would take several hours.  This morning, I looked at the emby-for-kodi addon under Movies>Sets and can now see 79 sets!  This ALMOST matches my collection count in the emby server (82).

I then went through all 79 and compared them to the 82 on the server.  The 3 missing collections are:

• Final Destination
  • Hills Have Eyes
  • Spider-Man

Interestingly, when I open these three collections in the emby server, they are all exactly the same in one strange characteristic...The movies that I have added to these collections ALL show up as "Other Items" - NOT as "Movies" when I open the collections.  By "ALL show up" I mean that every movie within the collection is characterized as "Other Items". If the collection has even 1 movie in it that is characterized as a "Movie" within the collection, it shows up as a "Set" in kodi.  Case in point is the Exorcist collection. I manually put in 4 movies into the emby server collection. 3 of those 4 show up in the collection as "Movies", and only 1 shows up as an "Other Item". The one showing up as an "Other Item" is "The Exorcist" or "Exorcist 1" as I label it in the sort title. This Exorcist collection DOES show up in kodi, but when I open it, it only shows 3 movies - "Exorcist 2, 3 and 4". It clearly excludes "The Exorcist" - the movie shown as an "Other Item".

I also looked in the emby server Metadata Manager at the same collections.  All 82 show up in the "Collections" folder.  However, when I look in the "Movies" folder - it matches what kodi sees.  In other words it shows 79 collections, and the other 3 (listed above) show up only as movies, with no corresponding collections.

I have not yet copied the log file, but if you would like me to do so, I will.

Thank you all again!

• Like 1

MarcusJ

One last observation...the "Exorcist" collection - which is sort of a hybrid collection as it contains both "Movies" and "Other Items" -  shows up in the Metadata Manager's "Collections" folder and it also shows up in the "Movies" folder. However, "The Exorcist" or "Exorcist 1" ALSO shows up again as a separate movie.  In other words, the Metadata Manager now shows 2 metadata listings for that one movie.

Edited by MarcusJ
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

The thing I know we do is the following: when we get boxsets from the server, we filter by "Boxset", and when we get movies for said boxset (since they can be mixed type in emby) we filter by "Movie" type. What are other items? Just not properly identified content? Because that would explain the weird situation.

The only thing is that it seems in your log like you had different entries - maybe emby changed the Id of the item when your changed them to type "Movie"... You had already assigned titles to sets which were removed.

So what did you do when you change your content from Other Items to Movie? And what is other item, I don't recall seeing such thing in my metadata manager.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

• Solution
MarcusJ

Thank you again Angelblue05. From my perspective, we can remove kodi and emby-for-kodi from this discussion completely. Kodi only served as a vehicle to first identify the issue, but the remaining issue has nothing to do with kodi or any of its addons, or any other front-end that may be involved. If I weren't even using a front-end, I would see this issue inside the emby server.

In a nutshell...within the emby server, certain movies are treated differently than others when being added to collections. Some show up as "Movies" and others show up as "Other items". When a movie is shown as an "Other Item", it creates anomolies within the metadata.

• Like 1

That doesn't mean anything. The only video type that gets a dedicated category is Movie. Other videos just get clumped into the Others listing. It is just how the web interface is choosing to display the items.

If you think the video is something that should be a movie, then it means you probably haven't configured the library with a content type that supports Movies. But again, that's another topic and doesn't mean anything here because you can just as easily put home videos into collections as you can movies.

• Like 2

MarcusJ

That doesn't mean anything. The only video type that gets a dedicated category is Movie. Other videos just get clumped into the Others listing. It is just how the web interface is choosing to display the items.

If you think the video is something that should be a movie, then it means you probably haven't configured the library with a content type that supports Movies. But again, that's another topic and doesn't mean anything here because you can just as easily put home videos into collections as you can movies.

Thanks Luke.

You say "you probably haven't configured the library with a content type that supports Movies".  Can you help me understand this comment better? All of my movies have been created the same way (DVD rips), stored the same way, structured in folders the exact same way. What can I check to comply with your statement?

It most likely will come down to an unsupported folder structure or misconfigured library setup. I would open a new topic with detailed examples. Thanks.

• Like 1