Path Substition, How? Amazon Fire TV KODI - OSX

Anthony24

Anthony24

My drives are called, "Media" "Media 2" "Media #3" "Media Backup" (not really a backup)

Main root of the drive are folders like "TV Shows 1-9" across those drives and one drive has movies under drive name "Untitled".

I know or at least i think i have the path right when naming ...(windows has a better example than OSX and I know how windows work for letter directory, since mac is different, I think its the directory of the name of the drive (names i have above)

Waisted 3 hrs after scanning media in the firetv of kodi for emby plugin and thought it worked but when I try to select a movie or a show and says not there would you like to delete it, how is it showing but unable to locate the file to play?

Tryed doing this last yr and never quiet got this working right.

Any examples of a correct way in OSX, NOT Windows. (got a headace trying to make this work) instead of bring my jailbroken ps3 around the house other than it be easier than doing this throu firetv.

fire tv without mic.

Angelblue05

Best way to get the actual end path you need is by going to Kodi settings > addons > install from zip and navigate to your content via smb. The path will be indicated at the top.

Note in emby, it basically replaces part of the path with the substitution. In clients, you will want to use \\ to represent smb://

\\path\to\content

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Path%20Substitution

Edited by Angelblue05

Anthony24

testing on my lptp witch worked before n having it work again, I clicked "Play from http instead of SMB"

hoping it'll work the same way with the fire stick

Angelblue05

Yes, this allows to direct play over HTTP. You just need to make sure your playback mode is set to add-on under the add-on settings > sync options. If not, you'll need to reset your local database to apply the change.

kodibart

Same problem here. Emby server is running on osx. Media is stored on a synology nas. Emby client is running on a raspberry/libreelec kodi 16.1.

I 'm not sure about native play compared to addon. When I read about server, do they mean the device where emby server is installed on( imac in my case) or do they mean the server where the media files are stored (synology nas in my case). When I have filled in path substitution in library on emby server, do I also have to fill in the network credentials in de emby kodi addon?

When I use add tv show under library to add this, the parh shown is /volumes/video/tvshow.

Using finder on osx the path is nfs://ipadressofthenas/volume1/video/tvshows

I read aboir using backslashes instead of slashes and see even \\\

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

Angelblue05

@@kodibart

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Path%20Substitution

Ok, so then you'll want to do this path substitution for example - I hope it gives you a better picture, it just substitute part of the path with a different one:

To: nfs://ipaddress/volume1/

Your final path will look like:

nfs://ipaddress/volume1/video/tvshow

The network credentials in the add-on is always to access the share where your content is located. You will need to restart Kodi for them to take effect.

Edited by Angelblue05

Anthony24

I'm not sure what's the point or the actually source that really needs Path Substitution. Need a real good video how and what and why you need it, gotta be a reason its there and if it helps anyway on transcoding anything like that but after I have the same settings from my laptop and looked at my fire tv to see i have the same settings, it started working and have nothing in my substitution.

Just

~"Play from http instead of SMB"

~(something else I think I clicked after closing and terminating shut down app without rebooting the tv stick) started working and rescan everything.

​Re-scaning everything on the fire stick takes an hr to load everything. about 330 Movies with about 433 tv shows meaning about 25000 episodes. but since laptop has a more kick in it, process is faster.

Since everything is coming off my server physical hackintosh pc at i3 4330,  with the drives in, works pretty well than I expected it. PC works well what you through at it except for what you use in windows xp, some small programs tend to crash, with it being 2 core processor.

Other than it shouldn't be not much different to a NAS but can be a little different.

Should be able to go on any device and type in the ip severer and work.

Wish Kodi's default wasn't set like that bc I've tried using SMB and read that it never really works, had it working a few times but SMB itself has to many problems with it.

Angelblue05

As stated previously, enabling play from HTTP makes your Emby server provide your content over HTTP. This allows to bypass path issues: when you don't really know how to set up your library in a way Kodi will be able to access your files over the network directly.

We won't change default because there's a few quirks that comes from providing content this way, such as being unable to label External subtitles and other things I can't think of, at this time.

Edited by Angelblue05

I'm not sure what's the point or the actually source that really needs Path Substitution. Need a real good video how and what and why you need it, gotta be a reason its there and if it helps anyway on transcoding anything like that but after I have the same settings from my laptop and looked at my fire tv to see i have the same settings, it started working and have nothing in my substitution.

Just

~"Play from http instead of SMB"

~(something else I think I clicked after closing and terminating shut down app without rebooting the tv stick) started working and rescan everything.

​Re-scaning everything on the fire stick takes an hr to load everything. about 330 Movies with about 433 tv shows meaning about 25000 episodes. but since laptop has a more kick in it, process is faster.

Since everything is coming off my server physical hackintosh pc at i3 4330,  with the drives in, works pretty well than I expected it. PC works well what you through at it except for what you use in windows xp, some small programs tend to crash, with it being 2 core processor.

Other than it shouldn't be not much different to a NAS but can be a little different.

Should be able to go on any device and type in the ip severer and work.

Wish Kodi's default wasn't set like that bc I've tried using SMB and read that it never really works, had it working a few times but SMB itself has to many problems with it.

The truth is that unless your are playing folder rips such as dvd or bluray folder structures, or unless you are playing an ISO, then playing from http is the exact same thing.

However, perception often drives reality, and users have a perception that it is better, therefore they feel the need to configure it and not do anything until everything is playing from SMB.

Anthony24

oops, think we were on here at the same time with those 2 mins and didn't see the reply Angelblue05.

Ok Luke. Makes sense.

kodibart

Short question.. Under network credentials (emby kodi addon) when asked for the server name or ip adress, are they referring to the server that is running emby server or are they referring to the device that holds the media folders/files?

Angelblue05

It's the hostname or ip address that is in your path to your content. Kodi associates the credentials to the matching path.

For example, if you have your paths as smb://192.168.x.xxx/path/to/content. Then you need to put as "server name" 192.168.x.xxx so Kodi associates the username and password with the path. Hope this helps.

Edited by Angelblue05

kodibart

Thabks for helping me. After filling in the network credentials should I first reboot LibreElec and then run repair local database or the other way round?

MSattler

The truth is that unless your are playing folder rips such as dvd or bluray folder structures, or unless you are playing an ISO, then playing from http is the exact same thing.

However, perception often drives reality, and users have a perception that it is better, therefore they feel the need to configure it and not do anything until everything is playing from SMB.

That is only if you are making the assumption that your Emby server is hosting the content locally.  Being able to play back directly from SMB, for those of use who have multiple storage servers means that content can be played back without the movie have to be sent through the Emby server.   For me, this means no unnecessary network throughput for the Emby server.   If all Emby clients had the ability to do this, I would completely abandon Kodi.

No need to ridicule those of us attempting to play everything back via SMB when possible.  Just because you don't do it that way, doesn't make it wrong.  

Edited by MSattler

That is only if you are making the assumption that your Emby server is hosting the content locally.  Being able to play back directly from SMB, for those of use who have multiple storage servers means that content can be played back without the movie have to be sent through the Emby server.   For me, this means no unnecessary network throughput for the Emby server.   If all Emby clients had the ability to do this, I would completely abandon Kodi.

No need to ridicule those of us attempting to play everything back via SMB when possible.  Just because you don't do it that way, doesn't make it wrong.  

So you're saying in situations where your media is spread throughout different nas devices separate from emby server, is that correct? If so, what is preventing you now from achieving what you want by using path substitution?

MSattler

So you're saying in situations where your media is spread throughout different nas devices separate from emby server, is that correct? If so, what is preventing you now from achieving what you want by using path substitution?

With Kodi, I can do this.  My point was in regards to you saying that playback via HTTP is the exact same thing as playing back from SMB.  That is what I disagree with.   Overall a good segment of the Emby user population would be better off if all Emby clients had the ability to play content via SMB if the client is local to the server, thereby skipping the Emby server altogether.

• Like 1

With Kodi, I can do this.  My point was in regards to you saying that playback via HTTP is the exact same thing as playing back from SMB.  That is what I disagree with.   Overall a good segment of the Emby user population would be better off if all Emby clients had the ability to play content via SMB if the client is local to the server, thereby skipping the Emby server altogether.

Based on what I gather it seems you run an above average number of users. I can see the argument in your case. But I think for the vast majority the experience is exactly the same. And that's not to say that SMB support wouldn't be a good idea or that we wouldn't do it in the future because it's possible that we will.