Emby WMC slow to open

TheRealScottR

TheRealScottR

About 4 weeks ago, Emby became very slow to start up. I click the emby option, and it just sits there. Probably about a minute later Emby opens and functions fine. ANybody else experiencing this? Any idea what the problem is?

Same problem accessing through XBOX 360 as well.

The IP address on your server probably changed and you had EMC configured to connect directly to the old address.

Go to settings and tell it to find the server automatically.  Then re-start EMC, log in and re configure to auto login if that's what you wish.  I also suggest a static IP address on your server.

dannieboiz

actually, I have this same problem. At one point I thought Emby failed, remove and reinstalled thought that was the fix but still having the same issue. 

Sammy

The IP address on your server probably changed and you had EMC configured to connect directly to the old address.

Go to settings and tell it to find the server automatically.  Then re-start EMC, log in and re configure to auto login if that's what you wish.  I also suggest a static IP address on your server.

My Emby Server resides on the exact same machine and user account as does WMC and EMC, so the server ip is <localhost>. I still get slow load times.

I'm now firing up Emby Theater by putting ET in position one on the task bar and using the Win +1 command on my H900 remote. I need to streamline this some because it does require that the user hit "Stop" before loading ET and again before switching back to WMC but the best way to switch back is to hit the back button on the remote then "Exit" ET. I've found this is the cleanest way to switch back and forth but the famdamily doesn't do it right all the time so I'm thinking of making ET a completely different activity because unfortunately the H900 doesn't support Macros / Sequences.

The ET interface is a lot nicer than EMC IMHO anyhow.

Edited by Sammy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
RobsterUK

Do you customise WMC in any way? For example if you use http://www.acs-digital-media.com/mce-rtb.html or if you have ever used Media Centre Studio.

You may be able to add a custom entry point into WMC to launch ET directly.

You may still have issues when exiting ET back to WMC, but having an entry in WMC menu provides the family with something to click. Rather than pressing a programmed button on the remote to launch ET.

I'm considering this myself, currently using EMC but it has become increasingly sluggish in recent weeks. So may be forced to try ET if frustration becomes too much. But then as you are finding out the family can throw a spanner in the works :-)

Edited by RobsterUK

RobsterUK

This may well solve slow access times, but it's getting back from Emby Theatre to WMC that may cause issues.
As ET is another application opening, if not closed correctly then the focus will not go back to WMC.

Telling the family to do things in a specific way doesn't always mean that they will heed the advice, leading to added frustration.
Once Emby Theatre is a complete WMC replacement then I'll gladly make the switch.

Sammy

The family issue can be easily resolved with a Harmony Remote by making it an activity rather than a button press as the H900 doesn't support macros but having a new activity can easily mimic a macro. I haven't, in all these years, created launch points in WMC but do know it can be done. The issue with it again is properly stopping one program to start another one.. As far as ET being a complete replacement for WMC I don't think that will ever happen for those of us using CableCARD tuners because of CCI Copy Protection as supporting that isn't on the road map anywhere for Emby.