Episodes ending before the end-time

LaurenceM

LaurenceM

Hi,

I've had reports from multiple users on different platforms (Windows, OSX, Chrome, IE etc) that when watching episodes of TV it stops a couple of minutes before the end and they have to skip to where they were as resume isn't available - it's like emby thinks it's the end of the file when it isn't. It doesn't seem to do it on movies, has anyone else got or seen this issue before? 

LaurenceM

Hi Luke,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have attached the server logs.

A friend was watching Parks and Rec and at 04/08/2016 22:28 he messaged me saying it's frozen, which then ended the episode and he had to restart it (refresh) to get it going again. I've checked physically the server hardware logs, network logs etc and there are no issues at the time it happens. I'm always told it happens at the last few minutes of an episode of TV. One guy is using an iPad the other using a Laptop with Windows 10 (different OS's and browsers so isn't isolated to a specific device or OS).

I've never noticed it myself, but it's weird how 2 different people on different machines in different locations have the same issue. It's not the same TV show, or the same episode, it seems to happen on a range of them which is even more confusing. I don't really understand the logs, so maybe you can see something? Generally speaking you can see in the logs there seems to be some kind of issue around that time (04/08/2016 22:28). I also included an image of this remux log that kept being generated shortly after he had to refresh. 

Emby version: 3.1.89 (It's happened for 3 weeks apparently.)

post-131230-0-59081300-1470347536_thumb.png

remux-4f6120f9-0bb0-4e97-96cc-28bb24b4ef5e.txt

server-63605927406.txt

Edited by LaurenceM

The latest release has made some adjustments to this particular example so with any luck it will be less likely to happen. For devices that stream using the HLS protocol, this currently may happen every once in a while, if and only if the video is stream copying,.  In other words, without re-encoding. As a trade-off to reduce the workload on your server cpu, we are delivering a predicted HLS playlist to the app video player, and if the prediction turns out to be really far off from the actual result, then this can happen. It should not be too frequent though. If they lower the in-app bitrate it may force a full transcode and then this will not happen, although you may not like the cpu utilization on your server.

Of course we would like to be able to stream copy the video without this occasional side effect and hopefully in future releases that will happen.

dcook

Just wondering why you are trying to reduce CPU load, have there been complaints of high CPU?  

My CPU seems to be mostly idle, even when watching shows.  And I would rather be able to finish a complete episode without having to restart the episode even if it does use more CPU.

The latest release has made some adjustments to this particular example so with any luck it will be less likely to happen. For devices that stream using the HLS protocol, this currently may happen every once in a while, if and only if the video is stream copying,.  In other words, without re-encoding. As a trade-off to reduce the workload on your server cpu, we are delivering a predicted HLS playlist to the app video player, and if the prediction turns out to be really far off from the actual result, then this can happen. It should not be too frequent though. If they lower the in-app bitrate it may force a full transcode and then this will not happen, although you may not like the cpu utilization on your server.

Of course we would like to be able to stream copy the video without this occasional side effect and hopefully in future releases that will happen.

In most cases this issue is not experienced, and if it is, it is generally within the credits at the end.

dcook

That didn't answer my question, why are you trying to reduce CPU load by not having the episodes completely finish playing?

Has there been issues with high CPU load?

Duane

In most cases this issue is not experienced, and if it is, it is generally within the credits at the end.

We are not trying to reduce cpu load by having episodes end early. We are dramatically reducing cpu load using a stream copy technique and it happens to occasionally have a side effect of cutting out during credits. In some rare cases, even slightly worse than that but that has been very rare.

dcook

Has there been issue with CPU load?  

As I said, I have been using this for over a year and never had an issue with CPU resources, so I don't see why trying to "fix" something that is no broken which then causing other issues like shows not ending properly.

We are not trying to reduce cpu load by having episodes end early. We are dramatically reducing cpu load using a stream copy technique and it happens to occasionally have a side effect of cutting out during credits. In some rare cases, even slightly worse than that but that has been very rare.

Just look all over the forum and you'll see how important server cpu utilization is to a lot of people.I apologize that not every decision goes the way you want it but we are doing the best that we can to make the largest number of people possible happy.

Dcook, rather than hijack the OPs thread with your philosophical discussions, why not create your own threads?

Just because you havent had a problem, or an issue, or you think the roku client is fine as it is (see, i remember you). This doesnt mean everyone is fine with things the way they are.

Instead of poking your nose into others threads redirecting energies to get your points across, please just create your own thread for bitching, moaning, and pissing in. Thanks :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Or just ask for an option to disable this behavior if that's what you prefer.

I dont mind the, roku replays some random part of the show for a few seconds at the end. This is an acceptable trade off to a full transcode. The cpu savings alone. It can repack the streams into a new container in under 10 seconds, yeah boy. Before it was taking my pc 3 minutes to fully transcode the show. During those 3 minutes, because PC is in same room, we enjoyed the fan noise produced (not!). Now with stream copy the sound of silence is welcomed. My point is, noise. Thank you luke, for reducing the noise produced.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

dcook

I think I have already stated that I think all features and settings should be customize-able by Emby server Admin.

Would it be difficult to adjust your development workflow to make such things like this and future changes optional?

Or just ask for an option to disable this behavior if that's what you prefer. 

We can't reasonably make every last thing configurable. If we did that, we'd spend more time on settings screens then anything else. Additionally the number of testing scenarios would skyrocket well beyond a threshold we're capable of managing. Like everything else we keep an eye on what you guys want, and when we see the community wants something, whether it be a new setting or feature, then we do our best to act on it.

• Like 1

dcook

I am sure everyone is not fine the way things are, I am not fine that episodes don't completely play, and I am not fine that on Roku it plays seconds randomly after completing an episode.  

It just seems to me that trying to fix one issue, such as CPU load (apparently CPU load was an issue for some user) , just introduces other issues, such as I noted earlier.

I welcome change and improvements.

I don't welcome change and improvements that cause other issues and the loss of features and settings we had before. (such as being able to edit users settings from the dashboard for example)

I recommend that any future changes or "improvements" be optional.  You don't even have to have them in the dashboard settings screen, perhaps create a settings.conf file where advanced users can disable unwanted behavior.

Dcook, rather than hijack the OPs thread with your philosophical discussions, why not create your own threads?

Just because you havent had a problem, or an issue, or you think the roku client is fine as it is (see, i remember you). This doesnt mean everyone is fine with things the way they are.

Instead of poking your nose into others threads redirecting energies to get your points across, please just create your own thread for bitching, moaning, and pissing in. Thanks :)

Edited by dcook

@@dcook I am sure, everyone is not. I am not sure, everyone is. It doesnt matter how you say it. You cant please all the people, all the time, unless its just you. Once you move to 2+ people it becomes harder to near impossible to please all.

Change may also bring unwanted features. By welcome change, you need to understand what change can bring. Once you open pandoras box it cant be closed.

I recommend.. that recommendations be optional. Its clutter to have options in some apps nobody but 3 people might use. A .conf would break occasionally and invariably lead to accusations it was done on purpose. There just needs to be change, move forward. If people get upset by the change, perhaps at that point investigate an option.

To always make changes as an option would be too hard to support development wise. It is difficult to keep track of these, update core objects, and make sure none of that is broken.

So be happy with what you have now. Take time to see the forest, for the trees. Smell the flowers. Breathe. Relax.

Edited by speechles

We can't reasonably make every last thing configurable. If we did that, we'd spend more time on settings screens then anything else. Additionally the number of testing scenarios would skyrocket well beyond a threshold we're capable of managing. Like everything else we keep an eye on what you guys want, and when we see the community wants something, whether it be a new setting or feature, then we do our best to act on it.

I agree that creating more and more settings could make the situation even worse.

Emby has quite a number of different ways to stream content to the client: DirectPlay, DirectStream, Remux with stream copying, Remux with re-encoding or HLS streaming.

Selection of the streaming method depends on many different factors: Media source file, client capabilities, server settings, user settings and network throughput

Reading a thread like this, shows that support can become a complicated task, because supporters may be required to guess what's actually going on.

What I would suggest: Let's make the streaming details more transparent to the user. This could be as simple as a window, popup or tooltip display that can be opened from within the player, or in case of the server core player, just adding a "Stream Info" tab to the info slide-up.

This would help the user and would also help supporting problems with streaming.

Edited by softworkz

LaurenceM

Looks like the thread has exploded a bit! 

I can confirm however the issue is now somewhat resolved, whatever you guys did, the 2 users experiencing the problem where shows kept ending prematurely have come back saying they haven't seen it happen since i did an update a few days back after you mentioned changes you had done. 

Thanks for taking time to look into it, i now have 2 friends much happier. 

• 2 years later...
Tewkster

Just an FYI that I am having the same issue.  I was watching an episode yesterday (mkv), and it stopped near the end.  I had to restart the episode and forward to the end where it stopped one again.

It seemed like the screen would go black as soon as the transcoding reached %100.

Hopefully this will help someone in troubleshooting.

Happy2Play

So is this only happening on transcoded items?  I know all my media direct plays and have not seen this issue at all.

Tewkster

So is this only happening on transcoded items?  I know all my media direct plays and have not seen this issue at all.

Not sure, but I have not had it happen at home where everything plays direct.

Tewkster

Is it possible to provide a sample video for testing? thanks.

The video that I was referring to is 826 MB, what is the best way for me to send it to you?