Green vertical line on Android TV only MKV

Aquitaine

Aquitaine

Running the Emby beta branch 3.1.86.0. (but this began about 3-4 weeks ago and we update the beta version every 1-2 weeks)

Platform: SHIELD TV 

We have some old workout videos we ripped from DVDs in MKV format. They've worked just fine for as long as we've had Emby. Around a month ago, we started seeing a single vertical green bar on the right-hand side of these videos and only these videos. 

It doesn't happen if the same file is played in Chrome or on an Android phone. 

We've tried:

- Disabling hardware acceleration (from Intel Quick Sync to nothing)

- Using custom ffmpeg (the lastest ffmpeg release)

- Fiddling with the handful of options available in the Android TV app (don't recall what they were, but anything relating to video playback we tried toggling)

Transcoding log is attached. Any suggestions?

embytranscoding.txt

It is a problem with VLC and their deinterlacing on some interlaced videos.  I've only seen it a couple of times.

Aquitaine

Yeah, the googling I did pointed me toward VLC.

But the files haven't changed in the last month and it didn't have this problem before.

Can I re-encode them to not be interlaced (if I no longer have the source DVDs?)

Can I change the appropriate VLC settings somehow, or update the VLC player Emby uses (pardon if I'm out of my depth, I don't know how Emby operates with VLC)

Heuer

I am having this same issue with .ts recordings from NextPVR (Freesat UK recordings). Green line down the right hand side when played on the Shield. All other stuff (mkv's etc) play OK. Tried playing the same .ts files  using EA on my Nexus 6 and they play fine, even casting them to the Shield. Does not appear to affect HD recordings though. The ones affected are all recorded off a DBS Tuner and are in SD format.

Is there any way we can have access to the VLC control panel to alter some settings? Seems the following may work to fix the issue: "This may be related to hardware accelerated video decoding and/or rendering. You can try to disable it in the settings in two places: on the “video” panel (called “Overlay video output”) and on the 'input and codecs' panel."

Edited by Heuer