FFMPEG Encoder - Optimizing ffmpeg text output

anderbytes

anderbytes

Hello,

I'd like to suggest a very quick and safe including of parameter at every ffmpeg run, that I believe will only have benefits.

The insertion of parameter "-hide_banner" right after ffmpeg command hides that nasty build info that only serves for 0,001% people that need to know how ffmpeg was built.

So thats it. My suggestion is to add it to every ffmpeg executable that runs in Emby.

Benefits:

- Less bloating of transcoding and remuxing logs

- Diskspace economy (less Kb, Mb...)

- Easier to debug, without that useless info

Hi, do you mean where it lists the version and what codecs are installed? We need that information because generally we use the system installed version of ffmpeg, and if the user's ffmpeg isn't adequate then we need to see that info in order to be able to tell them what's missing.

anderbytes

Hi, do you mean where it lists the version and what codecs are installed? We need that information because generally we use the system installed version of ffmpeg, and if the user's ffmpeg isn't adequate then we need to see that info in order to be able to tell them what's missing.

Hmm haven't thought about that.

Anyway... if embedded ffmpeg is used (instead of custom), I still fail to see the need for that info.

As majority of users don't use custom... probably it's a good idea to use -hide_banner for embedded, and don't use it for custom

Edited by anderbytes

Ok let me put this way  - I need this information in order to answer user questions and debug problems. Taking the information away would make that more difficult for me.

Not a problem I appreciate the suggestions because we are all trying to make it better :)

• Like 1