Not Finding Chromecast Devices

Jeremy.Beckett

Jeremy.Beckett

Hi,

I've had a search in these forums (and others on the internet) and can't find any answers to my problems - that's not to say there isn't an answer out there though so if anyone can help then have it.

Preamble aside, I have three Android devices (a Samsung phone and two Amazon Fire (Kindles)) that have stopped seeing Chromecast. One of the Kindles stopped about 4 or 5 months ago, the second Kindle around 2 months ago and the Samsung phone today.

I was hanging on because I could use my phone to cast but now I can't do that anymore. I'm not sure but it would seem that each problem is connected to an Emby update.

Can admin help at all?

there shouldn't be any problems on a google play device. I would make sure the chromecast is connected to your network. try testing using the chrome browser with the web app.

for amazon devices, the google cast libraries do not work on amazon devices so this is why they do not support chromecast. a while ago we used to hack this with a third party library that reverse engineered chromecast support (the LG Connect SDK), but it was causing so much instability with the app that we had to remove it. In the future, if Amazon decides to allow google cast, then you can bet we will add support for it in the app.

Jeremy.Beckett

Thanks Luke, I'll try the Android phone again. It's odd that the two Chromecast devices we have weren't registering with Emby, but I'm glad to hear it's not because of an update.

I can use Chromecast on my Amazon Fire. I've installed Emby from Play rather than Amazon App Store. As i said, it was seeing Chromecast until recently. 

Thanks, and yea we are using the google cast libraries for chromecast support and detection. we only display chromecast if it tells us that it's available.

• 3 weeks later...
Jeremy.Beckett

Hi Luke,

Sorry, I lost track of this thread and I've also been struggling with a bad install of Emby Server for a couple of days. It's fixed now, so back to my Kindles.

Both have had the Amazon Android OS framework disabled so Android can run unencumbered from having to install from Amazon App Store, which means both Kindles have the Google Play version of Emby on them. It's this version of Emby that can't see my Chromecast device.

Because I can install from Play I have Googe Cast installed, and it can see the Chromecast device, though Emby can't.

By using "Cast screen/audio"  can cast Emby to Chromecast, but there is a 2 to 3 second lag on audio.

My questions are:

Is there an alternate workaround to using Emby on my Kindle?

Is there a way to sync the audio track to the video?

Many thanks for a great product and your help so far.

Edited by Jeremy.Beckett

Ok, I apologize, I believe you when you say it should work, but what you're doing is just something we've never tested before. If you're convinced it should work, try the web app with Chrome. Mobile chrome supports chromecast, but again, this depends entirely on google cast services on the device.

What do you mean sync audio to video?