"Busy" error from Emby Server

rjay

Setup Details:

QNAP TS-870 Pro

QNAP Firmware: 4.2.1

Emby Server version: 3.0.6000.0 (Standard 64 bit install from https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=109476)

QMono's version: 4.4.0.182 (x64 version from https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=320&t=109446&sid=c8679d271122fc57926adc6c21fbc183)

I have noticed in the latest couple of versions of Emby once it has been running for a few days it seems to become "busy" and unresponsive. The typical symptoms are I will be using a Kodi client with the Emby add-on and it will say it can't connect to the Emby Server. I will then go to the Emby web interface and it will sit there thinking about it for ages and then eventually come back basically giving a message about the Server being busy and unable to respond or fulfil the request.

From here if I go into the QNAP Web management console, stop the Emby server app and restart it, it will be away again for a period of time until the problem appears again. Below is content of the log from a recent lock up / too busy scenario.

Now I can't say exactly when this appeared but i am pretty sure I didn't noticed it prior to my last couple of recent updates, so at a guess back when I was in the 3.8.x range I don't think I was seeing it. I noticed there is a slightly newer version now 3.0.6010.0 so I could try that but thought I would post up while I have the details at hand.

One or more errors occurred.
System.AggregateException
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional (Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions) <0x7f4bfdc82b20 + 0x00037> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1[TResult].GetResultCore (Boolean waitCompletionNotification) <0x7f4bfdc6ed70 + 0x00082> in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1[TResult].get_Result () <0x7f4bfdc6ed10 + 0x00024> in <filename unknown>:0 
at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Security.AuthenticationRepository.Get (MediaBrowser.Controller.Security.AuthenticationInfoQuery query) <0x4103bad0 + 0x000c0> in <filename unknown>:0 
at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.GetSessionByAuthenticationToken (System.String token, System.String deviceId, System.String remoteEndpoint) <0x4109b390 + 0x00092> in <filename unknown>:0 
at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionWebSocketListener.GetSession (System.Collections.Specialized.NameValueCollection queryString, System.String remoteEndpoint) <0x4109b290 + 0x000b4> in <filename unknown>:0 
at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionWebSocketListener+<_serverManager_WebSocketConnected>d__0.MoveNext () <0x4109abe0 + 0x000ef> in <filename unknown>:0 
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () <0x7f4bfdbddb40 + 0x00029> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<ThrowAsync>m__1 (System.Object state) <0x7f4bfdbdb280 + 0x00041> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.WaitCallback_Context (System.Object state) <0x7f4bfdc97290 + 0x00058> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) <0x7f4bfdc66a80 + 0x001c6> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run (System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, System.Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx) <0x7f4bfdc66a50 + 0x00020> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem () <0x7f4bfdc97220 + 0x0004c> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch () <0x7f4bfdc957a0 + 0x001d6> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback () <0x7f4bfdc970a0 + 0x00008> in <filename unknown>:0 
InnerException: System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException
unable to open database file
unable to open database file
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Prepare (System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteConnection cnn, System.String strSql, System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteStatement previous, UInt32 timeoutMS, System.String& strRemain) <0x40cdaba0 + 0x00cdb> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.BuildNextCommand () <0x40cda6f0 + 0x00239> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () <0x7f4bfdbddb40 + 0x00029> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x7f4bfdbdcc20 + 0x000b3> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x7f4bfdbdcb80 + 0x00093> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x7f4bfdbdcb30 + 0x0003a> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter.GetResult () <0x7f4bfdbdd1a0 + 0x00012> in <filename unknown>:0 
at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Persistence.SqliteExtensions+<ConnectToDb>d__1.MoveNext () <0x40ca0480 + 0x00770> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x7f4bfdbdcc20 + 0x000b3> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x7f4bfdbdcb80 + 0x00093> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x7f4bfdbdcb30 + 0x0003a> in <filename unknown>:0 
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[TResult].GetResult () <0x7f4bfdbdd3a0 + 0x00017> in <filename unknown>:0 
at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Persistence.BaseSqliteRepository+<CreateConnection>d__0.MoveNext () <0x40c9fc60 + 0x00270> in <filename unknown>:0

Ok so confirmed even on latest QNAP version, the busy error is still happening on version 3.0.6010, any thoughts ? Just upgraded to 3.0.6.030 will try again

Edited by rjay

Ok, just to confirm Luke does the 3.0.6.030 or even the .050 (recently released but not yet available to the QNAP) have fixes for the symptoms I am seeing? Symptoms listed below;

1. Emby Server runs fine for 5 days - 1 week
  2. Emby clients say unable to connect
  3. Emby Web Console says too busy to allow connections
  4. Stop and Start of Emby App within QNAP Console fixes problem

thanks

Mono 4.4 has caused a number of issues that have required us to scramble and fix in a short period of time. We have been looking at very similar things to what you're reporting above and each new release has been reducing the number of known issues with 4.4.

Interesting! ok, will also then jump straight to .050 as soon as it is made available on the QNAP.

Just while I have your attention, just want to fire a couple of extra questions at you. Previously I was running the Windows based server version but converted across to native QNAP version purely to reduce the number of Windows VM's I was running.

Now with the port to QNAP there is no way to do a restart from within the Server Dashboard, you have to stop and start the App from the QNAP Console. Will this ever be a feature of the QNAP port?

Also natively in the App store for QNAP the latest versions of Emby and/or QMono are not present and you have to follow the QNAP forum threads which is not a huge issue but are the app store downloads going to go back to being updated regularly or will it remain as a thread follow and install updates that way method?

I'm hoping we can bring back restart for qnap. This is one of the features that requires device-specific considerations and that's why we just haven't gotten to it yet.

As for the catalog, I wish it were updated more rapidly but unfortunately it's out of our control. We submit the new versions but QNAP has a testing process that each one has to go through and it seems to take a long time to get through that.

Thanks for the response, yep completely understand and figured that the process for porting to another hardware/OS is made harder if you have to add extra steps such as support for the restart feature.

Yeh figure as much, figured it was something along the lines similar most App Store requirements.

thanks Luke, appreciate all the work on the Emby product is an awesome bit of software and definitely worth the $100 or so for the premium features :)