Emby Server Hangs on DS1813

childsy
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

childsy

Hi Everyone,

I've just recently installed Emby Server on my Diskstation DS1813+, and have been having issues where it hangs and becomes unresponsive not too long after starting up. When it is in this state, I try to access the Emby Dashboard, and get a black screen with a button up the top left that says "ButtonHome". The only way to fix it is to stop the app in Diskstation Manager, and start it again.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Sven

And how is your CPU & Memory usage? Normal?

Can you also see somthing in the Emby Logs? Or can you upload them?

andcbii

I've run into a lot of issues trying to migrate my server from a windows server to my synology. I tried to restore my server using the Server Configuration Backup, but Emby would lockup/freeze/become unresponsive after trying to scan my libraries. Then i tried a fresh install following these instructions but i couldn't even get emby to boot up after that. Finally I tried to just add the library with out restoring the old server. I'm seeing errors like this in the log and am wondering if this is why the scan is taking so long and the server is crashing. 

*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.6020.0
	Command line: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var -ffmpeg /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/ffmpeg -ffprobe /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/ffprobe
	Operating system: Unix 3.10.77.0
	Processor count: 4
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Program data path: /var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var
	Mono: 4.4.1 (Nightly 4.4.1.0/4747417 Tue 19 Jul 12:45:26 UTC 2016)
	Application Path: /volume1/@appstore/EmbyServer/releases/v3.0.6020/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
	One or more errors occurred.
	System.AggregateException
	  at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw () <0x41fd1920 + 0x0002b> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x41fd16c0 + 0x000d3> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x41fd1610 + 0x00097> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd (System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) <0x41aeb360 + 0x0003b> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ConfiguredTaskAwaitable`1+ConfiguredTaskAwaiter[TResult].GetResult () <0x41b33930 + 0x00017> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager+<SendAsyncInternal>d__1d.MoveNext () <0x41d4f3e0 + 0x01313> in <filename unknown>:0 
	InnerException: System.Net.WebException
	The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.
	  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (IAsyncResult asyncResult) <0x41dc5020 + 0x0019f> in <filename unknown>:0 
	  at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1[TResult].FromAsyncCoreLogic (IAsyncResult iar, System.Func`2 endFunction, System.Action`1 endAction, System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization) <0x41dc4b70 + 0x00093> in <filename unknown>:0 

Any advice would be appreciated.

There is an error in the log about too many open files. The dlna profile system has a lot of file system access and that is where the failures in your log are coming from. i am working on some changes that will reduce it dramatically. we'll see if that makes a difference. the change will be on the beta channel for testing by tomorrow. thanks.

childsy

Thanks for the reply,

I've attached three log files, unfortunately they were all too big so I had to zip them.

The first log file started when i first started the server. The second one I think must have been created at the end possibly when i force shut it down, then the third one was created when i got it running again i believe.

Thanks for your help!

Logs.zip

PinchOfSalt

I have also run into some problems running Emby on my 1813+.  This is a new installation using the brand new procedure.  Before this, I had stored my media on my 1813+ but run Emby on a separate system under Windows 7.

- When attempting playback using Emby Theater on my Windows system, I get black screen but no playback.

- When attempting playback using the Emby app on my Roku 4, I get frequent "loading, please wait" interruptions.  This did not happen when I was running the Emby Server package on my Windows box.  My initial thought was this could be due to transcoding performance, but maybe there is something else going on.  (The Roku is feeding a 720P display).

I was thinking of starting a separate thread, but posted this here because something that is causing other hangs might be in play here too.

andcbii

Have either of you verified you library has been fully scanned at least one? For me the sever starts up just fine, but when the library scan starts is when the system seems to become unstable. 

andcbii

2 dumb questions...

There is an error in the log about too many open files. The dlna profile system has a lot of file system access and that is where the failures in your log are coming from. i am working on some changes that will reduce it dramatically. we'll see if that makes a difference. the change will be on the beta channel for testing by tomorrow. thanks.

Is this the release i should test?
https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/tag/3.1.85

And should it come from DSM or should i do this?

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/34516-updating-emby-on-dsm6-systems/

childsy

honestly I dont think it was ever able to get through my whole library without hanging up so I dont think the whole thing has been scanned yet, which is probably why it continues to hang up all the time if scanning the library is causing it.

shad0h

Hi everyone, 

I am also having the same problem, but on my 1812+.  I didn't have the issue under the previous SynoCommunity install, but have since I swapped to the package install.

I was getting the Too Many Open Files error, both in the logs and occasionally on the web management page (where it just couldn't load).

I am remote from the system at the moment, so getting logs isn't possible, but in researching last night it seems we may be hitting ulimit issues of maximum open files.

By default the file limit is only 1024 - seems to be default on Synology - and I cannot work out how to change that up yet.

One thing I did come across was a reference from another application that had set monitoring of large drives, and constantly hit this issue. So I have temporarily turned off  Real Time Monitoring (under Library, Advanced), and that has allowed the system to perform its first full scan since swapping to the packaged version, and everything seems to be running ok so far as I left home this morning.

So to the devs, perhaps looking at how you can have the embysvr user account have ulimit set to a higher number ?

Edited by shad0h

Well I'm not sure we have a beta process yet for synology. @@solabc16 mighty have more info. Suffice to say I am actively working on this issue.

So to the devs, perhaps looking at how you can have the embysvr user account have ulimit set to a higher number ?

@@solabc16 do you know?

solabc16

Morning

Notes on accessing the beta channel are here : https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Accessing-Beta-and-Development-Releases

There's another thread here, similiar issue (?) - http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/37527-ds412-too-many-open-files-error-when-scanning-media-library/

@@andcbii - as you are on an Intel NAS, can you confirm you are using the Emby package from here: http://emby.media/nas-server.html

- James

solabc16

Morning

We could look at this, but we'd need to look at it carefully, on a per model/architectures basis.

My first thought would be to understand why we are hitting that limit in the first place.

In the context of the h/w and application, I would not expect to be hitting the limit, even if it is 'only' 1024.

This appears to be related to http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/37527-ds412-too-many-open-files-error-when-scanning-media-library/ and http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/37470-scan-media-library-talking-very-long/&do=findComment&comment=351698.

How large are your libaries, as that would be the variable at play here?

- James

solabc16

Afternnoon

If your are happy to SSH to your box and are at a point where you are experiencing the 'Too Many Open Files' problem, can you do the following and post the results here:-

SSH to your Synology NAS and login as 'admin'.
Run the command: sudo ls -l /proc/$(ps -U "embysvr" -o pid= | tr -d ' ')/fd

e.g.

57a084130c9d0_list_open_files_command.pn

- James

Edited by solabc16