Non-default media library metadata

fraenhawk

fraenhawk

Is there an easier way to manage the metadata for folders that aren't part of the default?

My scenario: I have an "Adults" profile for my wife and myself that uses the default library which has 6 libraries: 3D, Music, Kids Shows, Kids Movies, Shows, Movies. I have a "Kids" profile for my kids (duh!) that is a subset: they only have access to Kids Shows and Kids Movies. For the default library, I was able to set primary images and sort order text, but for the kids I had to figure out that they were stored in MediaBrowser-Server/root/Kids and add folder.png to them (and I guess I'll add xml for the sort orders).

Some thoughts:

Can I temporarily make that profile able to edit metadata and I'm guessing I'd be able to use the web and then turn that off?

What if there was a folder in their library that wasn't already part of the default, how would I manage that? Would I be better off making a superset profile that uses the default library that included every folder and then having both the Adult and Kids only use subsets?

It would be nice if a true "admin" account option existed that when I was in edit mode on the left pane showed not only the "Media Library" but also any other user libraries as well - although it would get confusing when they share the same folders...

David

yes i will to that so that admins can see every profile. in the meantime, the workaround is to create a hidden admin user whose profile contains everything so that you can edit anything you want.

fraenhawk

Okay, I was leaning towards the superuser approach for now. Right now it's not a big deal since all the folders in Kids are also in Adults, but if I ever want to segregate them this will be a great help.

Thanks for the super quick response! been loving the MB3 experience since upgrading from MB2.

yes i will to that so that admins can see every profile. in the meantime, the workaround is to create a hidden admin user whose profile contains everything so that you can edit anything you want.

That is exactly what I did -- only one user that is able to change anything at all, two other users (Adults and Kids) that are "read-only".  Put a password on the Admin user and hide it from the login screens and you're reasonably secure from your own users ;)

I went ahead and removed the Kids stuff from the Adults login so that when we've got friends over and the screensaver comes up they aren't treated to things like the Care Bears and My Little Pony.  Not that those aren't good conversation starters sometimes...