Setting up my Surface Pro 2 as a server, Roku as a client. Need some recommendations.

heerssimpson

heerssimpson

I currently have a HTPC WMC with xbox 360 extender set up. I am looking to move to the following setup:

Surface Pro 2 as a dedicated HTPC, Ethernet into my router.

Roku ethernet client. 

I will need a NAS or other storage to store all my media, obviously the Surface Pro will not cut it. It will not be the server, just the storage. What do you recommend? I would like to use Live TV a lot (currently have an hdhomerun setup).

Any recommendations while I try to set this up?

Hi, welcome. If you get a Synology or QNAP, then the NAS could be the server if you like. (Or other NAS option listed on our website). Either way I would suggest Emby Theater on your Surface for a great experience there.

vaise

Hi,

Cheapest option would be to buy a large USB drive and plug it in the USB hole on the surface for your media ?  Depends how much media you have ?  2TB, 3TB, 4TB ? 

I went with a NAS, but unfortunaltely on that only runs Plex (netgear readynas 314) - so I still have my PC 24/7 - however it does loads of other stuff the NAS cant do (solar monitoring etc) so it is on 24/7 anyway.  We have 6 roku's off it and 3 x HD Homeruns recording with NextPVR and storing recordings in am Emby monitored folder..

V.