Some movies don't play, just a back drop

Exile82
Go to solution Solved by Exile82,

Exile82

Hi guys.

This will be my first post in this forum, as I am "evaluating" Emby (so far so good, very good in deed). I read up on how to post an issue, I hope this will be in line of what is expected.

I believe that Emby Server is set up correctly, since I have my library present in Kodi after the addon installation. Many movies have been working just great, however, some don't. It seems that the playback started, but I still see the library in front of me. The playback is actually started in the background, but the movie is not playing. It is just a backdrop of the actual movie, like this:

5798e28810260_screenshot001.png

I am running Emby Server 3.0.6000.0 and Emby Addon 2.2.18

Kodi version is OpenELEC 6.0.3 (based on Kodi 15.2 Isengard)

Here is a Kodi log file: http://sprunge.us/fbOQ, and Emby log file is provided via an attachment

I hope that someone of you are able to pinpoint the problem with ease, anyway, I will be very grateful with any kind of suggestion on how to handle this!

Best Regards!!

//Henrik

EDIT: When testing more movies, I found out that some more movies don't play. But these don't start at all, I receive an error message that says:

Playlist

Can't find the next item to play

That is quite strange, because I have not created a playlist. But this is maybe related to the other issue?!

5798f0a78199c_screenshot003.png

Emby 3.0.6000.0 logfile.txt

Edited by Exile82

Angelblue05

When you playback something, if Kodi has the option to automatically start playing the next item enabled, it will automatically grab the content in the section you started playback in and add them to the current playlist (this is done automatically).

Your issue is that you are trying to play rar content. I don't know that it's supported by our add-on, I think you are our first user to try it. What about your other movies you said didn't play? Can you provide another Kodi log trying to play them if they are not rar archive?

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

I think it is, at least in a way that you can have it detect rar as media content. However, I am not sure the extent to which it is implemented. The setting is under emby dashboard > library > advanced > video > Detect archive files as media

Exile82

Hi guys, first of all, thank you so much for your quick response. It is much appreciated!!

When you playback something, if Kodi has the option to automatically start playing the next item enabled, it will automatically grab the content in the section you started playback in and add them to the current playlist (this is done automatically).

Your issue is that you are trying to play rar content. I don't know that it's supported by our add-on, I think you are our first user to try it. What about your other movies you said didn't play? Can you provide another Kodi log trying to play them if they are not rar archive?

Well, that seems logic, when you put it that way. Playlist is not the issue.
Yes, I will provide a Kodi log with a fully functional movie when I get home from work. Actually, I have two folders with movies, one with rar content, and one with iso images. Probably, the iso files are the ones that work and rar content movies are not working. We will see, I'll get back to you, ASAP!

does emby support rar'ed content?

What is it with rar'ed content, is it just people keeping their torrent seeding going and not wanting to have extracted copied as well as they rar they are seeding on their disks?

Well, I dont use torrents in that term, but yes, I do have a large rar library of movies. I never saw the point of manually unpack these as Kodi handles rar library with ease. For me, there are also more pro's in keeping the rar libraries

I think it is, at least in a way that you can have it detect rar as media content. However, I am not sure the extent to which it is implemented. The setting is under emby dashboard > library > advanced > video > Detect archive files as media

Yes, I tried to have that option unchecked, resulting in many movies missing in both Emby Server UI and Kodi. While option activated, all my movies were discovered and presented. So, the option seems to make Emby Server aware of those movies, but not necessarily makes them playable. In addition, most of my TV shows are rar libraries with the subs in its own rar file. For every episode I get a doublet, probably due the subs file, which enforces the theory. 

An idea; I am a real rookie when it comes to Emby, but I am a 10+ year user of Kodi, I may be on deep water here, though. Since Kodi is able to play rar libraries (and Emby seems to discard these), is it possible to bypass Emby in terms of playback of these rar libraries, while Emby just picks up watched state and resume state? In other words, the playback is performed directly from the network share. Well, it does not seem ideal, but just an idea that maybe can be developed into a better solution?

If rar libraries is a no-go, I really need to consider a change of my setup. I have 500+ episodes of TV Shows that are rar libraries, it is a pretty vast job to align these. Of course there is a way to go around this.

Anyway, I am so grateful for your ideas and support. Better than I have experinced on other forums. Kudos to you!!

Best Regards

Henrik

Edited by Exile82

Exile82

Can you list some pros? I am generally interested to know what people use rars for as media content containers.

We can say that it is a matter of sharing, unpacked files will make them "unshareable". As rar library, they can be shared and used by me at the same time with minimum effort. It has been working great.

But I think that this another discussion for another thread. But to be frank, I have never seen the point with unpacking files that already works flawless in Kodi (maybe a bit higher CPU load, but not noticable). I do understand that people might not agree with me, that always unpack files for a number of reasons (make them compatible with Emby for one), but I am not familiar with those reasons. However, I am always eager to learn! :)

Edited by Exile82

Exile82

Don't get me wrong. I am so keen to get Emby working, that I relly consider to create a copy of the files I want to use and unpack them. Then I can keep a shareable version and also have a version I can use with Emby. 

This will be storage consuming though, so if I could choose I would really like to use my rar librarys as-is, of course. ;)

Exile82

@@Angelblue05, is Native Playback mode a solution for rar libraries? I'll guess a will miss some cool Emby features, but initially I can settle with watchstate and resumestate. I will test this, if it works it will be a good enough for a transition period. I need to figure out how to handle my media if rar libraries are unplayable.

Exile82

how will it make them unshareable?

You said you don't use torrents, so what other sharing solution do you have that requires the original rars to be kept intact?

I really don't want to come out as ignorant or unpolite, but I can't tell you. Let's settle with that I rather keep my rar libraries

Edited by Exile82

Exile82

No problem.

In the last 7 years or so on all the media projects I have been involved with, all the discussions around rar file playback and handling have all boiled down to torrent seeding.

That is why I was genuinely interested, if you are not torrent seeding then why keep them in rar.

I don't think you are ever going to get wide support for rar in all popular media playback and management systems so by using rar you are limiting your options.

Yeah, I think you are totally right! Maybe I need to evolve, rather that the applications strive backwards. I don't use torrents, but something similar and more private. In the past (and even today) it has been a very sleek solution for me to just keep them as-is. But maybe that is not a realistic option anymore, if I want my media to fly with modern media players.

Exile82

Just out of curiousity, is it more complex to support rar library? If it has been supported why not continue with the support, like Kodi?
I realize that this might be a very stupid question, but as i said, I am a bit curious.

As we speak, I am looking for a decent application that can automically unpack and manage my rar libraries. Unpack Monitor keeps crashing on Win10, so the hunt goes on...

Exile82

I have been looking for a program that can unpack my movies in batches, located in individual folders. Without any success. 

Someone have an advice or can suggest a software? It would be awesome if unpackaged filename could be set from original foldername, or just bring the nfo file to destination folder

Edited by Exile82

@@Exile82

Out of curiousity, does Emby probe your archives files? If you go in the webclient, do you see media info? 

No, this isn't supported right now.

• Like 1

Exile82

@@Exile82

Out of curiousity, does Emby probe your archives files? If you go in the webclient, do you see media info?

Hi.

I don't know what it does, but Emby collects media info and graphics for these movies.

xnappo

Hi.

I don't know what it does, but Emby collects media info and graphics for these movies.

Possibly it just picked up the NFO from when it was scraped by Kodi's scraper. 

Exile82

Possibly it just picked up the NFO from when it was scraped by Kodi's scraper.

Yeah, you are right. The NFOs are still in place.

Well, I have been looking for a way (software) that in at least semi automatic way can help me with my librarys, especially TV-shows. Haven't found anything so far though. If I don't find a way, I think I need to skip Emby and just go back to business as usual. It is a too big job to manually unpack. It is easy to maintain, but not to go through existing library

Edited by Exile82

Angelblue05

Nothing comes up as a solution if you google "bulk extract archives"? Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exile82

Nothing comes up as a solution if you google "bulk extract archives"? Hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, that would have been something,wouldn't it?! ;)

Jokes aside, what I meant was that I haven't found anything suitable for the task, but maybe it got lost in translation. I have gone through at least 12 applications, but will have a closers look at filebot, couchpotato and sickbeard.

The thing I need is something that can deal with, let say, a folder with a TV-show including about 5 seasons, 12 episode a piece. It needs to rename the rar-files to it's parents (or grandparents) folder, then unpack. Eventually, must also organise all the episodes, seasons and different TV-shows, to secure compatibility with Emby.

So no, nothing yet. It is maybe to much to ask, but do the above manually, for 500+ episodes and 100 movies? Not with to kids, dog, a house, and above all, a wife. ;)

Edited by Exile82

• Solution
Exile82

Are you able to get playback with any other Emby apps?

No, it is the exact same behaviour! Emby does not like my rar archives. I am a bit surprised actually, lets go for that compressed files are bad for performance. But nowadays these archives are not compressed, media is just divided into chunks. I know that Plex went this way for many years ago. But since Kodi is a pretty big player, I thought more people should line up behind the Kodi guys. But this is nothing I can affect, so I don't bother. This will mean more work for me, but I will evaluate this before discard or honor it. ;)

I found extractnow, looking promising...

• Like 2

Exile82

Actually, I tested this software earlier, but it just kept on crashing. This release is good though. Does exactly what I want

• Like 1