Videos Dont Play

Xzener

Xzener

Luke,

Videos do not play if logging into Web Client, or ET web version (tv.emby.media) via external IP address. This issue just recently popped up since installing v3.0.6000. I only use external IP at work, so I just found this out. Theme songs work fine, but if I press play, or resume... nothing happens.

Will send you a log via PM.

Hope you can find the issue, watching YouTube sucks! <_<

• Like 2

rsanger

I ran into the same problem, my solution was to rollback to an older version until I had some time to figure out the problem.

I was running the docker release of v3.0.6000, essentially on an external address (however I would be surprised if this is related).

Here's what I figured out in the web interface:

• New TV episodes added after the update seem to play correctly.
  • Those added prior do not play, they seem to be trying to play a item id of 'undefined'
  • However they can be downloaded
  • When an episode does not play it belongs to an undefined season yet the correct show as shown in the breadcrumbs ( TV Show Name > undefined )
  • From an episode like that clicking back (arrow on the screen) gets to back to an empty collection

Something seems to be incorrectly linked up in the DB. It seems like it might be related to the new pooling, however even series that were not pooled seemed to have issues.

My guess is that manually removing the library and allowing it to re-scan in would fix the problem, given that new episodes seem to work.

Does this sound similar to what you are seeing?

PS: The pooling feature seems amazing, looking forward to being able to use it.

Edited by rsanger
  • Like 1

mgworek

Having same problem. Will post in the linux section with logs. Internally works fine but externally doesn't.

I also can't play anything while connected to vpn and going to local address.

Using the Apple TV or iOS app remotely works fine.

Edited by mgworek

Xzener

That makes sense. If Luke doesn't chime in I may try removing/re-adding the library. Thanks for the info.

Ceten

I'm getting the same problem. The web client and Emby Theater don't play anymore since the update to 3.0.6000.
I first checked if I still had access to the share as I updated the pc with Emby Server to Windows 10 too but I still have direct access.

When I checked the console in Chrome I noticed a 400 (Format Exception) error.
I then checked the server logs and found the following FormatException:

2016-07-27 11:17:25.7320 Error HttpServer: Error processing request for /emby/Shows/undefined/Episodes?IsVirtualUnaired=false&IsMissing=false&UserId=84ccab1e9a0526b30fc8b990fe4690cf&Fields=MediaSources%2CChapters
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 3.1.78.0
    Command line: C:\Users\Media PC\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
    Processor count: 4
    64-Bit OS: True
    64-Bit Process: True
    Program data path: C:\Users\Media PC\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
    Application Path: C:\Users\Media PC\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
    GUID moet uit 32 cijfers en 4 streepjes bestaan (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).
    ServiceStack.HttpError
    No Stack Trace Available
    InnerException: System.FormatException
    GUID moet uit 32 cijfers en 4 streepjes bestaan (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).
       bij System.Guid.TryParseGuidWithNoStyle(String guidString, GuidResult& result)
       bij System.Guid.TryParseGuid(String g, GuidStyles flags, GuidResult& result)
       bij System.Guid..ctor(String g)
       bij MediaBrowser.Api.TvShowsService.<Get>d__42.MoveNext()

When using the Windows Phone app everything plays fine.

tanStaafl

Same problem here after upgrading to latest Stable, tried upgrading to latest Beta, no help. Noticed one of my network drives had disappeared when looking in the library so I recreated the folder. No help. Uninstalled Emby removing cache and reinstalled , no help.

Am using Chrome latest build to view, from the Suggestions view, whenever I click on the play button (the one that shows before the mouseover) it just brings up the spinner that chases it's tale, same for the play button when I mouse over. 

After much more banging around I found that if I Allow External Player from the Client settings, it now prompts for Play or Use External, I select Play and it WORKS.. go figger..

Caused me a lot of trouble and time would sure like to see this fixed.

Please attach complete log files rather than snippets (or none at all). Thanks.

Xzener

Have not rebuilt my library yet. Although I did get a movie to work last night, required a manual refresh at the details page of web client.

Good day,

No problem here, I tried different type of media and movies on web client as well ET, dose this problem only happens from wan connection?

My best

rsanger

Attached is a server log, starting from the time the server was upgraded and includes some failed playback attempts. I would like to note this did not appear to be browser related for me, I replicated it on both Chrome and Firefox.

I've since tried starting a 3.0.6000 docker in almost the exact same configuration with the updated 3.0.6000 database, as close as I could get to the state when it was failing a couple of days ago while keeping my rollbacked instance running alongside it. This time it appears to be magically working, it did not seem to do any rebuild of the database, as expected.

So I have retried with an old database upgrading to 3.0.6000, which seems to exhibit the issue again however I will have to wait for that upgrade to finish.

I'm thinking this might not be database related anymore. Maybe caching related (on the emby side), or simply requires a server restart? Could invalid responses be cached while the server was in the process of updating and then continue being returned after?

Anyway for anyone who is having the issue try disabling web caching (in dashboard->settings->developer options->Enable web response caching) and clearing the browser cache. Maybe also try restarting the server and check if any of those steps help.

I'll report back after the upgrade.

server-63604917417.zip

Ceten

I checked again yesterday after updating to 3.1.80 and a few server restarts. I also did a clean and rebuild of the library and after that everything played normal again.
If you want I can upload the full logs from the error tonight.

rsanger

Well I've figured out the solution, at least in my case. It seems the server restart was indeed the thing that fixed it.

It seems that after the database upgrade to v3.0.6000 (that is a clean db and update library task --- which I did this twice just to make sure) the server needs to be restarted. There must be something old stuck in memory still.

mbinkley

Okay, My local copy of Emby stopped working, I get a 'can't play video' error from my local website access. When I use the Emby mediacenter app, it works fine. This was never an issue before. This kind of crap is why I came to Emby from Plex. If this crap isn't fixed soon, I'm terminating my memebership and moving on to something that works.

Happy2Play

Moved post

Okay, My local copy of Emby stopped working, I get a 'can't play video' error from my local website access. When I use the Emby mediacenter app, it works fine. This was never an issue before. This kind of crap is why I came to Emby from Plex. If this crap isn't fixed soon, I'm terminating my memebership and moving on to something that works.

Sorry to hear that but you need to provide more information to figure out the issue.  What OS and Browser?

How to Report a Problem