Windows 8 app questions

NWW
Go to solution Solved by 7illusions,

Hi!

Over the last few days, I've upgraded to MB3 over MB2 and I bought the MediaBrowser app for my Surface RT (first gen). It works surprisingly well (expect the odd few crashes here and there).

I have a question concerning transcoding, direct play and the like. I've tried looking on these forums but hadn't had much luck.

What file formats does the app has the ability to play without needing for transcoding? Every file that I play works fine, which is great, but I've noticed my server's i5-2500k @ 4.2 Ghz getting used at 100% (no HW acceleration sucks! ^^) while playing a 1080p recorded WTV file. Since I'm planning on upgrading my desktop to Windows 8.1 and want to use the same app as on my Surface, will it be able to "direct play" the files instead of needing to be transcoded? I don't mind that much on mobile devices, but on a hardwired high-end desktop, I wouldn't expect it to need transcoding to work.

It'd be nice to know what circumstances need transcoding and what don't. Do mp4 need transcoding? SD vs HD? etc.

Thanks for a great app! Keep up the good work.

EDIT: I should add: mp4's and avi's work fine when browsing the network and playing them with the Xbox Video app. WTV's and obviously MKV's don't.

Edited by NWW

• Solution
7illusions

The current version is transcoding EVERYTHING.

Hopefully the next version, scheduled for release before the end of January, will do direct streaming when possible.

It all depends on how much time I'll be able to spend.

• Like 1

Great! Thanks for the answer!

What are the limitations for direct play and the file formats that might be supported?

Keep up the good work!

7illusions

At the moment I don't know. :)

We are currently investigating some issues, with the audio-streaming. but what's working with direct play at the moment is h264 video with acc audio. (mkv, mov..)

I'll probably have some better news within a few days. (and hopefully there will be a Beta within 1-2 weeks)

Awesome!

Does the container play any role in this? Meaning, if codes are H264 and AAC audio, does it matter if the container is Mkv, Mov, MP4 or even WTV or TS?

If you need testing being done on a Surface and a desktop, also with UK/Europe live TV, let me know! :)

Cheers