Roku Channel Crashes On Load of Live TV

nmbguy

Lyfesaver

I don't mind testing more. Pretty technical, but sometimes I move faster than I should and overlook things (See example above of not noticing I needed to refresh system in Roku)

Guest Grace1313

I had this problem a while back, only with a tv show. Click on an episode and would get kicked out of the app. I noticed I had two instance of the server running and also the server folder on my computer was the old media browser folder . I uninstalled everything and started fresh and never had the issue again.

#coolstorybro

mediacowboy

@@speechles, I am having this issue as well. I was watching a show on live tv. Backed out by accident, told it to start again, and was kicked out of the app. I restarted the server and it let me start streaming again.

I'm thinking this is a server issue. I will sideboard the blue neon app and get some logs tomorrow. Just thought I would add my two cents.

@@speechles, I am having this issue as well. I was watching a show on live tv. Backed out by accident, told it to start again, and was kicked out of the app. I restarted the server and it let me start streaming again.

I'm thinking this is a server issue. I will sideboard the blue neon app and get some logs tomorrow. Just thought I would add my two cents.

Thats what I am guessing. Ive never changed anything related to liveTV. The official app is having the same problem for users too. This has to be related to a server change. Having telnet debug logs from a device as it experiences this issue will confirm the theory.

Maybe @@Luke can reproduce the problem? It is, like I said, occuring with v2.24, the official app, too. I cant reproduce this as I lack liveTV. Solving this problem deserves a higher priority as these users are heavily invested in emby. LiveTV on the roku requires being a premiere supporter to gain the 80 channel limit, rather than the crippled free limit of 5.

I am sure the liveTV part of the roku apps, both official and blueneon, are generating revenue for emby in premiere adoption, so this does deserve some immediate attention.

• Like 2

mediacowboy

I did just update to server 3.1.6059.42658. I dropped out and tried to start the stream again and it started right up so I don't know. I will test more tomorrow since I have a sick kid at home.

Lyfesaver

@@Luke Just some more info, I use Ceton InifiTV4 and ServerWMC. Don't know if i included that part.

Edited by Lyfesaver

Ok so it's failing trying to fetch additional parts, which obviously doesn't apply to a live tv program. is additional parts in the released roku app? i think it might just be limited to the beta version.

Lyfesaver

Was there also a transcoding log at the time of playback?

No there was not. I emptied the folder, caused the issue, and gave you the only file it created.

Lyfesaver

I have 2.24 of the one from the Roku store and this one from the BNN one. Both behave the same way.

I too am seeing the blue neon app crash instantly upon attempting to play a live tv channel. General release of roku app plays live tv fine.  Server log is attached. No transcoding log created upon playing.

Emby Blue Neon 3.68

Server 3.1.90

server-63606028188.txt

Interesting. Based on the other posters log I'm surprised you even get to the point of playback

I see the problem in the blue neon app.

For example:

item.partCount

This used to populate with an actual number. It seems depending on server version it no longer does. So I was lately, just using the additionalparts api call for all videoplayer and videospringboard needs, for all video items no matter the type. Obviously, okay, this worked then, but breaks live TV now (serverWMC crashes, appears hdhomerun isnt crashing). So what I've done is if the content is a program or a recording the app won't get additional parts. Now this works for me.

I would love to depend on item.partCount > 1 to tell me if there are additional parts. But item.partCount isnt even part of the payload anymore. This means additional parts couldnt be shown, so there has to be a way to make this work even if partCount is absent. I think this is now the way... I will release an update to the blueneon app shortly.. stay tuned to that thread..

also one more thing... for @luke:

Is there a reason item.partcount isnt returned in the payload for each item anymore? Do I need to add "partCount" to the fields when making the request? Why is additional parts query for liveTV and recordings now different than it has been? That videoplayer change I made long, long, ago... at least 3 months ago. It should've broke then, but it breaking now means api changes are happening. This is okay as long as we are kept in the loop. I feel left out of the loop on some things. Just trying to clarify how this should work for all server versions.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Is there a reason item.partcount isnt returned in the payload for each item anymore? Do I need to add "partCount" to the fields when making the request? Why is additional parts query for liveTV and recordings now different than it has been? That videoplayer change I made long, long, ago... at least 3 months ago. It should've broke then, but it breaking now means api changes are happening. This is okay as long as we are kept in the loop. I feel left out of the loop on some things. Just trying to clarify how this should work for all server versions.

The standard practice for json data is for the field to simply not be there in the response if the value is null.  This reduces the size of the payload, streamlining communications.  If it was there before, it was an anomaly and you should expect that any field could potentially just not exist in the response.

dboyer

I just downloaded 3.70 and tried it.   I can confirm that it still crashes immediately.

Don't know whether 3.69 worked or not.

2.24 from the Roku store still works  OK. 

@@econ @@dboyer @@Lyfesaver

Well shit... I am sorry d00ds.. Damn

I've compared 3.69 to 3.70 and found absolutely no differences that should crash the app. Is there someone with LiveTV having issues who can sideload the app onto their roku and obtain telnet logs?

I can't reproduce liveTV problems since I lack liveTV.

There are 2 ways to solve the problem:

1) sideload and telnet debug logs - the standard way

2) create an account I can use on your server. Then message me via PM on these forums the IP of your server. and the username/password I should use. This will allow me to see exactly what the problem is. This is the easiest way to debug liveTV. If someone is willing to let me hop on their server please respond in kind. Thanks ;)

Edited by speechles