Roku Channel Crashes On Load of Live TV

nmbguy

nmbguy

I have been using the Roku channel for quite some time without problems, and though it might be a coincidence, the channel will no longer load since the latest server updates.  The channel starts to load then just reverts back to the roku home screen.  I have removed the channel and reinstalled it.  I have restarted the PC with the server and restarted the Roku.  The first time I reinstalled emby it prompted to enter the PIN to register the device.  I do not get this anymore, just goes back to roku home screen.  Emby for WMC works just fine though they are on the same PC.  I can also log into the web interface from another PC without any problems.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Info:

Roku 3 (4200X)

Roku Software Version 7.2.0 build 4100-04

Connected via ethernet

Emby Roku Version 2.2 build 4

Emby server version 3.0.6000 on Windows 7 Pro PC 

Can you try this app on your roku and see if it is the same behavior:

https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBlueNeon

This is a forked version, of the official app. If it behaves the same, something might be wrong with your server, or the roku. Have you restarted, both the server, and roku? This might happen too when your network misbehaves. You can have both the official app, and blue neon app on your homescreen at the same time.

For more info:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/24151-theme-blue-neon-night/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

nmbguy

The Blue Neon version works!  The original version still reverts back to home screen when I try and open it.  Thanks for the info on the Blue Neon version.

dboyer

I also have been having trouble with Roku controlling Emby.

Like nmbguy, I have been using the the Emby app on our Rokus sticks for quite some time, however it seems like something has changed in the server software since the last 2 or 3 Emby Server Updates.

When we select a TV channel to view Live TV or a recording, the selected channel starts to load - then it reverts back to the Roku home screen.  This process continues indefinitely. 

The only thing that I have found which will correct the above problem is to log into the Emby Server and restart the Emby software.

Once the Emby software in the server is restarted, Emby in our Roku Sticks (2015 Versions) goes back to working like it should for some period of time.  

We have been using the Emby Blue Neon Version for some time in our Roku sticks.   

For what it is worth, the above problem existed with Emby server version 3.0.6000.  I updated the Emby software earlier today to the latest version (3.0.6010), but the problem still exists. 

In the past two or three weeks, I have tried many things. 

As I said above, the only thing that I have found that will correct the problem is to reboot the Emby software in our Windows 7 Pro server. 

dboyer

Luke, I reinstalled what I would call the "normal" Emby app in Roku (Version 2.24) in one of our Roku sticks and have been trying it again to see how it performs. 

If you watch the Dashboard in the Emby Server, when you select a live TV channel it shows "Roku Stick" and "Version 2.24: in the Active Devices screen.  As soon as you stop the channel from playing, the Active Device screen shows that it has stopped playing and has disconnected.

If you select another live TV channel, the information in the Active Screen immediately comes back and displays Version 2.24 and the correct channel in the Active Channel box.  When you stop the channel from playing, it once again shows that it has disconnected. 

If you use the Blue Neon Night (Version 3.68) and watch the Dashboard in the server - you see Version 3.68 pop up in the Active Device screen. 

Version 3.68 may or may not  actually connect up and stream video back to the Roku stick.  Right now, I have attempted to use 3.68 to connect to our server, with no luck. 

Every time that I try to connect, I see it refresh the data in the Active Device screen, but each time it reverts back to the Roku home screen. 

Most importantly, the Active Device screen still shows that the server is still connected to someone, but in reality, it is not connected. 

If I then go back and use Version 2.24 to get into the server, the Emby server software correctly connects to Version 2.24.

Each time that I disconnect (or change channels), the Active Server box immediately shows that I have disconnected or changed channels. 

By rebooting the Emby server software, it resets the software and cleans out what it thinks that it is connected to and we start the process over again. 

In a nutshell, it appears that Blue Neon (Version 3.68) is having having trouble handshaking between the server and the Blue Neon version and the original Version 2.24 does not. 

Attached is a Screen Print of what the Active Device screen looks like after I have long disconnected using Version 3.68.

Thanks for all that you do, Luke.

post-118292-0-32665000-1469675374_thumb.jpg

dboyer

I have never had any problem starting the software.;   

Just having problem connecting to the Live TV channels.  When it is not working properly, it tries to connect, but doesn't. 

You then get kicked back to the Roku screen that shows all of your apps.

Happy2Play

I will change the title then since it isn't an issue of "channel crashes on load".  It is an issue with loading Live TV on the Roku.

@@dboyer

I dont have liveTV so unfortunately this is where I cant debug the issues. When this happens, are you left in the app or has it soft-crashed and stopped responding? If an error dialog pops up, dont press OK, instead press the back button. This should let you navigate back to the homescreen. In preferences, you need to set "enable debug" to yes. After this, in the options row at the bottom row will be an item marked "debug logs". Click this and it will let you scroll through the roku logs. You have to do this without leaving the app. Once you leave the app, the logs are cleared. This is a roku limitation.

If you can get this problem to happen, and have debug enabled, and can get to the debug logs option in the app it will show the cause.

If you cant, you need to follow these instructions and sideload the blueneon apps zip install. I would need telnet debug logs showing the error or the brightscript crash

Anyone else with liveTV using the blueneon app having this issue and can test sideloading the zip? Need debug please. :)

Maybe @@CBers? I know he has hdhomerun, and knows how to do this. :)

Note: if you can good ol pal cbers, haw.. make sure "enable debug" is yes in the app. I have telnet debugging rely on that setting too. Im on vacation july28 to aug1. So if I dont reply to your posts this is why. I am imagine it is something I am doing where liveTV doesnt have the same arrays within the object returned. This means item.somekey is missing. These types of errors will crash the app off if they arent trapped. Not having liveTV puts me at a disadvantage here.

Edited by speechles

Is this still an issue?

Indeed, it would be nice to have this thread confirmed as no longer an issue. Anyone still having this problem?

@@CBers you have time to throw a dog a bone? Woof woof bark

CBers

@@CBers you have time to throw a dog a bone? Woof woof bark

@@speechles

Just jumped on the Roku 2XS and recorded programmes are playing just fine.

I played a couple of HD channels and they play back OK as well.

They're all being transcoded, as the Roku is only connected via wireless.

@@speechles

Just jumped on the Roku 2XS and recorded programmes are playing just fine.

I played a couple of HD channels and they play back OK as well.

They're all being transcoded, as the Roku is only connected via wireless.

Thanks sir.

@@dboyer Which server version are you using? @@CBers confirmed above the latest version works. Can you manually update your roku sticks, then update your emby server. If you have the same problem after updating, please let me know.

Edited by speechles

dboyer

Server version is 3.0.6020.0 - which is current version. 

Point me in the direction how to manually update my roku sticks. 

CBers

Server version is 3.0.6020.0 - which is current version. 

Point me in the direction how to manually update my roku sticks. 

I'm running dev server, but I don't think it's that too far away from Stable.

Updating the Roku is normally done via the menu - system, update software.

I don't have a stick, so it might be different.

Other than that, reboot it or power cycle it.

Are the Roku Sticks powerful enough ?? I know the Fire TV sticks are under-powered compared to the Fire Tv boxes.

dboyer

I have done any upgrade on our sticks that may be available via the menu - system, update software method. 

But if I understand things correctly, I don't think that is what they are asking us to do. 

In my opinion, the current product Roku sticks are powerful enough.  We use them all of the time to view Netflix, our Emby server and other apps.  They are certainly more powerful and robust than the Roku box that we were using before.

By the way, I have our Emby server is located about 300 miles from where we live.  We use it to view (and record) live TV from the digital stations in Dallas / Fort Worth. 

Lyfesaver

New to Emby, but got everything working. LiveTV is being served via ServerWMC and things work well in web client. Go to new install of EMby app from Roku store on Roku 3 and Roku 2 both, and experiencing the same thing. App crashes to Roku's home screen when attempting to start a Live TV stream. Saved media plays fine.

@@Lyfesaver Which flavor of the roku app are you using? Standard, Beta, or Blue Neon? Which version # does the app show it is? Which version of the server are you using? Knowing this will allow us to possibly reproduce the error and correct the issue.

Lyfesaver

@@speechles Of course. My apologies. 

Emby Server: Version 3.1.6059.28624

Emby Roku App: 2.24

Sorry I dont know which flavor it is. It was the only one on the Roku store.

@@speechles Of course. My apologies.

Emby Server: Version 3.1.6059.28624

Emby Roku App: 2.24

Sorry I dont know which flavor it is. It was the only one on the Roku store.

Does the same thing happen with the blue neon app on your roku?

Lyfesaver

@@speechles I tried to add it using that link, but neither of my two Roku's are getting the app :(

Edited by Lyfesaver