Music Improvements

Luke

them8os235
14 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, thanks for following up !

Hey there again Luke.  One more along these lines.  All of this has reminded me of how forgetful I can be.  ;)  

So after that above, I reminded myself that when I output music to an external DAC using WinAmp or Roon (I'm a subscriber of it) on Windows via their own application, or from Roon streaming thru RoonBridge on a Raspberry Pi or other SBC, or when using Volumio on a RPi, a native bitrate & sample rate is sent to the DAC; confirmed to be the case as the DACs I use display the sample rate sent to it.

What would it take to get Emby Theater to operate in a similar fashion; at least for music if that would simplify anything? (for me, I care mostly about  outputting on Raspberry Pi. And disclaimer: I have not setup Emby Theater yet on one of my RPis, only assuming it resamples too. Pardon if it already does output native source bitrate and sample rate, which would be phenomenal and what I really am hoping for.). 

Roon is cost is prohibitive for most of my friends who want a multi end-point, remote controllable music client/server installation, and I'm looking for alternatives to Roon to use for them.  I forgot I bought a lifetime sub of Emby years back, having used it only infrequently.  And was really blown away by all the advancements you and team have made in that time when I dug in to its capabilities recently.  I believe it could be a better solution for those that won't cough up for Roon over anything else I've come across.  But for music, we're all looking for an end-point streamer to send that stream to the DAC without re-sampling.

Much thanks!

generiq

For that, you'll probably want to create an mpv.conf and add the exclusive command. For some reason, the Theater setting for that doesn't work well. What audio formats are you using?

2 hours ago, generiq said:

For that, you'll probably want to create an mpv.conf and add the exclusive command. For some reason, the Theater setting for that doesn't work well. What audio formats are you using?

Why not just set the option in the UI? Any more specific info than that?

them8os235
On 8/28/2023 at 4:18 PM, generiq said:

It's a combination of mid (128K ) to high (320K) bitrate lossy Redbook MP3 and M4A files (i.e. all at 16-bit, 44.1K sample rate), and higher to high bitrate lossless FLAC and M4A (everything from lossless rips of  Redbook CDs to DVD-Audio discs to things I bough on HDTracks).  Not a substantial number of SACD / DSF, tho there are some of those too. A total of 1.23 Tb of music with files that run the full gamut of every combination of bit depth 16 or 24 bit and standard sample rate between 44.1K to 196K. 

Could you elaborate on the answer of "create an mpv.conf "?  I know what the exclusive command is.  I'm sure I can glom an answer together using google and this forum searching, and do know what mpv.conf is in general, but if you can just give me a few words and examples of how you mean that to have emby output at the same format as the source music file, I can probably take it from there.  ;) Much thanx. 

10 minutes ago, them8os235 said:

It's a combination of mid (128K ) to high (320K) bitrate lossy Redbook MP3 and M4A files (i.e. all at 16-bit, 44.1K sample rate), and higher to high bitrate lossless FLAC and M4A (everything from lossless rips of  Redbook CDs to DVD-Audio discs to things I bough on HDTracks).  Not a substantial number of SACD / DSF, tho there are some of those too. A total of 1.23 Tb of music with files that run the full gamut of every combination of bit depth 16 or 24 bit and standard sample rate between 44.1K to 196K. 

Could you elaborate on the answer of "create an mpv.conf "?  I know what the exclusive command is.  I'm sure I can glom an answer together using google and this forum searching, and do know what mpv.conf is in general, but if you can just give me a few words and examples of how you mean that to have emby output at the same format as the source music file, I can probably take it from there.  ;) Much thanx. 

You may not have to do that. You could try just enabling the exclusive audio mode option in the app.

• 2 weeks later...
generiq
On 8/29/2023 at 2:27 PM, Luke said:

You may not have to do that. You could try just enabling the exclusive audio mode option in the app.

It doesn't function as it should. 

generiq
On 8/29/2023 at 2:16 PM, them8os235 said:

When I have more time, I'll walk you through what you can try. It may not guarantee the outcome you desire, but it's quite possible. 

generiq
Just now, Luke said:

Meaning what exactly?

I'd have to compare logs and illustrate,  which I'm unable to do at the moment. But when exclusive mode is correctly used, the audio parameters remain unchanged. In Theater,  the audio is rewritten,  as is the default of mpv., depending of course on what the source is and a few other variables. It isn't as concise as I would like it.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
MindBullet

Referring to Luke's first sentence in the first post:

Are there any plans to improve the UI/Looks/Feel of the Emby music player? And also of the matching when matching artists/tracks/songs?

For me personally, Emby has drastically improved when it comes to TV shows and movie matching. I have very large libraries and both TV shows and movies do great with very, very little mismatch quota.

However, I feel music libraries are way, way behind that, at least they were when I used Emby 1-2 years back. Artists are mismatched or not matched at all very frequently etc., which is a pain to work through manually for 1500 artists and tenthousands of albums. Which is in fact the only reason I'm not adding my music to Emby.

Also, I really think the Desktop/Web app music player could need some great graphical improvements. While the video player looks modern and like a 2024 ready piece of software, the music player certainly doesn't.

It rather looks outdated, lacks a lot of modern features (as well as some basic features) and is just not very appealing to the eye in general. It looks more like a player which was modern in 2008 and it seems like there hasn't been much love for the music player.

Just trying to revive this thread and give my personal input. It may be totally different for other Emby users. 

2 hours ago, MindBullet said:

Referring to Luke's first sentence in the first post:

Are there any plans to improve the UI/Looks/Feel of the Emby music player? And also of the matching when matching artists/tracks/songs?

For me personally, Emby has drastically improved when it comes to TV shows and movie matching. I have very large libraries and both TV shows and movies do great with very, very little mismatch quota.

However, I feel music libraries are way, way behind that, at least they were when I used Emby 1-2 years back. Artists are mismatched or not matched at all very frequently etc., which is a pain to work through manually for 1500 artists and tenthousands of albums. Which is in fact the only reason I'm not adding my music to Emby.

Also, I really think the Desktop/Web app music player could need some great graphical improvements. While the video player looks modern and like a 2024 ready piece of software, the music player certainly doesn't.

It rather looks outdated, lacks a lot of modern features (as well as some basic features) and is just not very appealing to the eye in general. It looks more like a player which was modern in 2008 and it seems like there hasn't been much love for the music player.

Just trying to revive this thread and give my personal input. It may be totally different for other Emby users. 

Hi, please create feature requests for what you would like to see. Thanks.

• Like 1