Not respecting bandwidth limit of server

BAS
Go to solution Solved by MrWebsmith,

I have a external user that is using the Android TV app. I also have a bandwidth limit set in playback/streaming of the Server. I noticed this user was direct playing from the ATV app multiple different things all with media bitrates higher then allotted setting of the server so a transcode should be happening. It appears the ATV app is ignoring/not respecting the server bandwidth setting.

Edited by BAS
  • Like 1

This isn't controlled at the app level.

Are you using a VPN such that the remote user actually looks local maybe?

No VPN here on server side, @@MrWebsmith has been having array issues on his tv side so I have been letting him use my server to get him and his wife tv fix in for the evenings until he gets back up and running. All other clients seem to respect it, it was only this box/app that I had to have him manually go and lower the bitrate in the app to what I can allow. 

MrWebsmith

aye.. eric

im remote over wan.. didnt use conncet.. did a manual sign onto BAS's ip:port..

i was getting direct/v on my ep last night until i went, client side, into settings and dropped to 720kbit and then i guess i was below the bitrate of BAS' media enough that it went to Trans/I at that 

is there interest in a re-test and i can do a "Send logs" from my side in the app if i have it direct play again perhaps tonight?

Except when the item is forced to transcode due to the bitrate settings, there won't be any useful info in the app side for this.

What was the bitrate of the content?  What is his per-user setting set to?

If you had to go all the way down to 720k then it must be pretty low-bitrate content...

Okay, my bad.  I thought the common routines the app is using were using a server-side call to determine this but it turns out that isn't the case.  So the app will have to be modified to retrieve this value from the server.

• Like 2

MrWebsmith

will do.. ill put it back to the normal (local) setting i use for my own server.. say 40mb or auto etc... and then ill retest an ep from bas and it should respect his server limit on his end.. 

ill report back in a bit i can test a shield here in a sec

• Solution
MrWebsmith

ok eric looks solid..

on my end.. i confirmed update on my 1 sheild to .27

confirmed my end bitrate was re-set back to 40meg

played the same ep that was direct playing last night from BAS, and it immediately was trans/i in OSD... bas confirmed on his end network traffic was correct/expected level that he's set as HIS max...

well done to both of you.. glad i could leech the benefits

• Like 1