Skipping issue and question

TheShanMan

TheShanMan

I have some videos which do not allow me to skip in Theater, but do in WMC. I have also experienced videos which won't resume and I'm guessing they're the same videos, though I don't know that with certainty yet. As a result, I had to switch back to WMC just to continue watching a movie we had started previously. I couldn't even drag the position indicator using the mouse. Is this a known issue or should I get and post logs on some of these videos?

I'm also curious if there is anything in Theater that's comparable to WMC's method of entering a time followed by the play button to jump to a specific point in a video? It doesn't seem so, but maybe it's just different in Theater? I use this SO much so I hope there is at least something comparable. :)

I would try it again as there were some issues resolved with dragging the seek knob.

TheShanMan

No. I'm already running the latest 2.5.3. Plus none of the other seeking methods work. BTW when I drag the seek knob it says --:-- and then when I let go it jumps back to the beginning, if that tells you anything. Like I said, I think it has something to do with certain videos, but I'm not sure what the rhyme or reason is at this point.

So am I to assume there is no way to jump to a specific time like in WMC?

• 1 month later...
TheShanMan

This bug is really getting in the way of me being able to use Theater (it forces me to switch back to WMC which also doesn't remember resume points but at least allows seeking and skipping). I have many movies that still suffer from this issue. They play from the beginning just fine but resuming doesn't work, nor does seeking or ff/rew.

What characteristics of the video do you need to find out what the problem is? Or what steps should I follow to ensure that the problem will be identified in the log file? Or do I need to privately send a video (which would be multiple GB) to someone?

TheShanMan

Cool, so it's a known issue then? I've had this problem for months now. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. Thanks!

• 6 months later...
TheShanMan

I have some videos which do not allow me to skip in Theater, but do in WMC. I have also experienced videos which won't resume and I'm guessing they're the same videos, though I don't know that with certainty yet. As a result, I had to switch back to WMC just to continue watching a movie we had started previously. I couldn't even drag the position indicator using the mouse. Is this a known issue or should I get and post logs on some of these videos?

I'm also curious if there is anything in Theater that's comparable to WMC's method of entering a time followed by the play button to jump to a specific point in a video? It doesn't seem so, but maybe it's just different in Theater? I use this SO much so I hope there is at least something comparable. :)

9 months later and this problem still plagues me. I gave up on Theater and now use a combination of WMC and Android. In WMC (and probably Android too but I use it only occasionally) many movies won't resume. On Android I've noticed movies which don't even allow me to seek, which makes the Android app totally useless at that point because I'm obviously not going to start a movie over from the beginning if I'm half way through.

Honestly this has me frustrated enough that in the back of my mind I'm starting to think "maybe I should look at alternatives to Emby". I've been an MB/Emby user for somewhere around 6-7 years. I don't want to have such thoughts. I just wish this major pain point would get fixed or I could figure out what's wrong with my configuration or whatever! I'll do whatever I can to help diagnose the issue. I asked before what I could do or provide and that offer still stands of course (see post #4).

I don't see any issues with the progress slider in theater. Can you please describe the issue in more detail? Thanks !

TheShanMan

You might be focusing more on my original post than the new part since I quoted it. As I said though, I stopped using theater since it just wasn't solid enough for me. I suspect that it suffers from the same problem as Android but have a look at my last post again. That said, in Android it is simply not draggable. I think it perceives the video as zero length for some reason which also might explain why resume doesn't work. It does report the run time but I suspect that's just metadata and plays no part in actual playback.

TheShanMan

Sure. I'll try to reproduce the failure to save the resume point and get that. What should I do for the inability to seek? Or are you hoping that the logging around the resume point failure will be enough to diagnose both issues?