nowtv smart box

dredd1963

dredd1963

Hi

Just wondering if anybody has had a chance to try emby on the new smart box yet?

CBers

Hi

Just wondering if anybody has had a chance to try emby on the new smart box yet?

The following instructions work with both Gen1 and Gen2 Now TV boxes.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/689-guide-to-installing-mediabrowser3-onto-the-now-tv-box/

You can also use them to sideload the Blue Neon Night for Roku app as well.

dredd1963

I believe it is, just wondering as possible future upgrade from the gen2 boxes for the kids

Those instructions @@CBers provides above should also work on the v3 nowtv smart box.

The v3 is based on roku4, minus the uhd features, and minus the gaming remote with a/b buttons. It does allow native hevc decoding at max 1080p@60fps@10bit. The app should run better on this device, than any previous model. It will even put the roku3 to shame, speed-wise.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

CBers

Those instructions @@CBers provides above should also work on the v3 nowtv smart box.

Not sure there is a v3, as the 2nd Now TV box has only just been released.

The first was the old white (bad color choice) one, not suprisingly always dusty and dirty looking, was also based on the roku HD. Then the second, good ol black one, updated guts match the roku 3. Now the third, is the flat, based on roku 4, no longer puck shaped, with neon blue (nice color choice btw) nowTV emblazoned on it.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/29/sky-now-tv-smart-box/

7105ba93ab4ff0136165de9e666a0131.jpg

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

CBers

The first was the old white (bad color choice) one, not suprisingly always dusty and dirty looking, was also based on the roku HD. Then the second, good ol black one, updated guts match the roku 3. Now the third, is the flat, based on roku 4, no longer puck shaped, with neon blue (nice color choice btw) nowTV emblazoned on it.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/01/29/sky-now-tv-smart-box/

7105ba93ab4ff0136165de9e666a0131.jpg

Well there you go, I've learnt something today :)

The gen2 boxes were only released last year.

Well there you go, I've learnt something today :)

The gen2 boxes were only released last year.

The selling point of these boxes, is they offer access to both streaming sky live-tv channels  _and_ freeview OTA channels. As well as supports for apps, and sideloading too. Sky doesn't seem to think much of gaming, so the motion remote loss, no biggie. But they must not be ready to adopt 4K yet either. I wonder if UHD is disabled, or just not mentioned because sky doesnt have content in that area.. yet. I would be curious to know if this does allow emby to play in UHD, or if it fails.

The app may not natively support UHD on this model, as we don't yet know its model number. If it is a variant of 4400 it will work, since thats how we designate UHD to roku devices. Model 4400 is the roku4. Using the blueneon app would allow a user to "force directstream" and see if it works regardless of model number.

Anyone actually have this device yet? Anybody want to get one and let us know?

Edited by speechles

CBers

Not sure if this is correct, but according to stuff.tv, you can't sideload onto the Now TV Smart box:

Another potential downside could be the inability to sideload apps – like a Roku can do – which means no Netflix or other streaming apps.

http://www.stuff.tv/sky/now-tv-combo/review

Another potential downside could be the inability to sideload apps – like a Roku can do – which means no Netflix or other streaming apps.

Potential... you know what means.. right? It means.. they don't know if it does, or it doesn't allow sideloading. It's like what people said at first about the firetv. They do this to confuse readers and make you think they know more than you do. They just start making assumptions. Until its actually confirmed with facts, don't trust everything you read.

Edited by speechles

• 2 weeks later...
b0dyr0ck2006

The new box is a 4500SK model

Software version 7

build 4192

You could activate 4k output on the beta model but they have removed this hidden option on the retail version

Edited by b0dyr0ck2006

b0dyr0ck2006

You can still side load emby, yes

I don't know if it is my box or there is an issue with sideloading, but after I have installed the emby app the box won't stay on. I have to pull the power and reboot, 5 minutes later it does the same....

I don't know if it is my box or there is an issue with sideloading, but after I have installed the emby app the box won't stay on. I have to pull the power and reboot, 5 minutes later it does the same....

1. Which app was sideloaded, official app, or blueneon?

2. What model# does it call the nowtv gen 3?

3. Which firmware revision does it use, 7.2.x?

4. When you first sideload and the app starts, press the home button on the remote and quit the app right away. Does it retain a homescreen presence?

5. If you restart the app, and change all your custom preferences, then quit the app. When you start it up the next time has it forgot everything?

It might be a firmware difference causing the device to power down. We need the model# the device reports it is. I assume it has hevc@10bit up to 60 fps and vp9 up to 30fps since its roku4 based. Do you have any hevc videos to test this? It might also allow uhd @ 3840x2160. Testing some of these videos and see if they direct play. Use the blue neon app, choose "force directstream" to make this easier.

• 2 weeks later...
b0dyr0ck2006

1. Which app was sideloaded, official app, or blueneon?

2. What model# does it call the nowtv gen 3?

3. Which firmware revision does it use, 7.2.x?

4. When you first sideload and the app starts, press the home button on the remote and quit the app right away. Does it retain a homescreen presence?

5. If you restart the app, and change all your custom preferences, then quit the app. When you start it up the next time has it forgot everything?

It might be a firmware difference causing the device to power down. We need the model# the device reports it is. I assume it has hevc@10bit up to 60 fps and vp9 up to 30fps since its roku4 based. Do you have any hevc videos to test this? It might also allow uhd @ 3840x2160. Testing some of these videos and see if they direct play. Use the blue neon app, choose "force directstream" to make this easier.

I think it may be a unit issue, it shuts down with any app not just emby. I've side loaded the official not blue neon. I'll get back to you on the model and firmware

How odd. The only reason for the device to shut down at that same interval, would be its thermal protection. If it does it every 5 minutes, it is indeed a faulty unit. These roku4 based models require active cooling. They have a fan inside that should be forcing air out the back and pulling air in the front. Its variable speed, so depending on temperature the fan noise becomes more noticeable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

b0dyr0ck2006

Hahaha both the beta unit and this one doesn't have a fan, all the testers pointed out that the beta unit got insanely hot, almost got enough to cook an egg. But that said the beta unit never fell over

• 8 months later...
Yash 07/08/17

Hi sorry to bring up an old thread but wondering if you can sideload the emby beta onto now tv smart box ( and yes it still has dev mode working!)

CBers

Hi sorry to bring up an old thread but wondering if you can sideload the emby beta onto now tv smart box ( and yes it still has dev mode working!)

The new Roku beta app is not (currently) available for side-loading on any Roku based device.

Yash 07/08/17

Thanx for such a speedy response. The beta app looks so much better!!! And the Tv guide is lovely!