Android Sync "issues"

meddaugh

meddaugh

I've seen multiple files being synced at that same time before too.  I just refresh in root explorer and more than 1 file is going up in size, not usually the "same" file (meaning not the originial and the (1) one), clearly two different ones.

anderbytes

Hi Luke, any news on this?

Next time I'm thinking in activating debugging log, for log generation.

anderbytes

@@Luke, are those latest beta working sync issue? You usually ask us to test in the topic...

I stopped my tests, waiting for another "try this one" from you

@@Luke, are those latest beta working sync issue? You usually ask us to test in the topic...

I stopped my tests, waiting for another "try this one" from you

Not yet.

Ponyo

Well it's good that we're here because i am ready to finally overhaul the in-app sync experience. i have been looking at google music as inspiration. I've noticed they don't even have a manual sync button because everything just starts immediately. so i think that's the model that i like.

I hope that means there will be various conditions you can set as to when you want to start syncing automatically?

So far I found sync a bit lackluster. There is no information on what quality media is transcoded to, you can't make custom profiles for users (e.g for user A content is always synced to google drive with profile basic and bitrate 5mbps), no offline play on android from within emby, no way to select if you want to stream or play the synced file, no way to tell emby when to start syncing (for example on when I'm home or a certain time of day. You can use the scheduler but that doesn't work as soon as you are working with multiple users or are home at irregular hours) etc.

So far I found that for home use it's best to sync to a folder on your server using the folder sync plugin and than use something like the android app foldersync (same name, different app) to sync content to your phone because that actually does let you set a whole range of syncing parameters.

I am working on it as we speak so yes this is the time to leave feedback. I think we are going to go in the direction of a very simple "yes or no" sync icon that lights up when something is synced.

For audio, when you click it, it will just sync without any additional things to click. We'll just add quality settings to the settings area. For video, that's a tricky one, the question being whether you want to customize quality individually for every sync item. I think the answer to that is probably yes, so basically, you'll click the sync icon, see the popup asking you about quality, then click OK.

• Like 1

anderbytes

I am working on it as we speak so yes this is the time to leave feedback. I think we are going to go in the direction of a very simple "yes or no" sync icon that lights up when something is synced.

For audio, when you click it, it will just sync without any additional things to click. We'll just add quality settings to the settings area. For video, that's a tricky one, the question being whether you want to customize quality individually for every sync item. I think the answer to that is probably yes, so basically, you'll click the sync icon, see the popup asking you about quality, then click OK.

Seems good.

I'm curious about if you discovered the cause of those sync errors, and how to fix em

• 2 weeks later...
meddaugh

I don't see any issues syncing lately, using version 2.7.42, still unable to play then in the app or send it to an external app (crashes).  It will play in an external app if I use a File Manager, so I just do that, and go back in and mark it played to get a new episode synced.

Yea on some devices playback is going to have an issue because libvlc does not understand the storage access framework paths. It just doesn't support them. Other players that also don't support them are going to have a problem, so we're going to have to give them something they can handle.

anderbytes

Same here.

Still, sync can be considered broken. Emby can't assume you will be seeing the episodes from outside app

meddaugh

Work around is ok, not ideal.  I use AC3 Player most of the time which works fine.  I'd prefer just to play internally like it used to work, but at least it syncs and I can play it without worry about wifi drop outs.

meddaugh

Ok...It did not let me indicate where to send, but I sent a report.  from (eric at med.......com )  It did synced ~ 72.85MB, but that's all of 1 item.  Then it keeps crashing...

Ok thanks, yes this is an issue limited to older versions of android. We'll have a fix out tomorrow.

computerprep

Looks like lots of topics have been discussed over these five pages of posts... so I'll add this one here instead of starting a new thread.

Haven't used the sync feature in a few months, so I'm not sure when this problem would have been introduced to my device. Using a Motorola Droid Turbo, with most recent app from Google Play Store.

When modifying my default sync folder, it's not allowing me to type in the "Synced content path" area. Looks like it'd be a single line textfield, but keyboard and cursor never appear. When clicking the Search button to locate the folder I want to use, it shows me the new android framework for choosing a folder location, that is normally populated with different file-browser apps, but this time it's empty. Only let's me attempt to pick files/folders from the "Recent" category, but nothing appears.

Previously, I've used a third-party file browser "Total Commander" to locate the folder, and this appears in the list under Recent.

So I've found the default folder for synced content, but the ability to choose my folder is gone.

Thought you'd like to know.

post-1756-0-41514400-1471755289_thumb.pngpost-1756-0-36376200-1471755299_thumb.png

Edit: Oh, these screenshots were taken Friday August 19 at 10:50pm Eastern Time (Saturday, Aug 20 @ 2:50am GMT) and I just received an app update, so this was the second-to-latest app version. Problem still exists after today's update.

Edited by computerprep

Looks like lots of topics have been discussed over these five pages of posts... so I'll add this one here instead of starting a new thread.

Haven't used the sync feature in a few months, so I'm not sure when this problem would have been introduced to my device. Using a Motorola Droid Turbo, with most recent app from Google Play Store.

When modifying my default sync folder, it's not allowing me to type in the "Synced content path" area. Looks like it'd be a single line textfield, but keyboard and cursor never appear. When clicking the Search button to locate the folder I want to use, it shows me the new android framework for choosing a folder location, that is normally populated with different file-browser apps, but this time it's empty. Only let's me attempt to pick files/folders from the "Recent" category, but nothing appears.

Previously, I've used a third-party file browser "Total Commander" to locate the folder, and this appears in the list under Recent.

So I've found the default folder for synced content, but the ability to choose my folder is gone.

Thought you'd like to know.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-08-19-22-50-25.pngattachicon.gifScreenshot_2016-08-19-22-50-29.png

Edit: Oh, these screenshots were taken Friday August 19 at 10:50pm Eastern Time (Saturday, Aug 20 @ 2:50am GMT) and I just received an app update, so this was the second-to-latest app version. Problem still exists after today's update.

You can't type into the field because we are using the google storage access framework, and as a result the paths are no longer simple paths like /folder.

The popup you are seeing is android supplied directory picker built into the operating system, so we can't really control what it displays aside from a few configuration options it gives us.

computerprep

You can't type into the field because we are using the google storage access framework.

Sounds good, not really a big deal.

The popup you are seeing is android supplied directory picker built into the operating system, so we can't really control what it displays aside from a few configuration options it gives us.

Then something with those configuration options might not be functioning on Motorola Droid Turbos, or something in my specific flavor of Android Lollipop, which is the official OTA build... Anyone else having similar issues using the new framework to choose a sync location?

Here's my specific phone details...

post-1756-0-00445500-1471761068_thumb.pngpost-1756-0-54844900-1471761052_thumb.png

Also, this is what that framework looks like when uploading these screenshots to the forum. Prior options displayed.

post-1756-0-77152900-1471761078_thumb.pngpost-1756-0-72107300-1471761086_thumb.png

• 5 weeks later...

I was not able to test for a while, I come back after a couple weeks and it appears v 2.7.89 works playing the synced files now!  Anyone else it play correctly now?

---Eric